Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #2761
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Hadn't heard of the movie so I googled it. Came up with this review and a pretty good site, it seems.
From:http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/e...y-ass-lady.php
I haven't seen the movie as it's not being released here til 7 October. I'm not going to read any reviews yet as I want to make up my own mind about if the film does the book justice. However, the book had a lot of stuff that resonated with a lot of women which has some value.

I haven't spent any time in India or Italy, but quite a bit of the stuff that she wrote about Bali where I have spent time working (although the limited time that I spent there doesn't give me much authority in terms of making cultural assessments) seemed to be pretty spot on in terms of her interactions with the friend who she assisted with buying land. She starts off with the "Balinese are beautiful, peaceloving smiling people". No doubt there is quite alot of truth in this, but as with everything, there is also the other side which is stated by Felipe when the Balinese friend took ages and ages to actually decide on a piece of land to buy: "she's fucking with you".

Cross-thread to the Razzamatazz13 The Engaged Edition. Have just finished reading "This is not the story you think it is" by Laura Munson-also a memoir and intensely personal-some would say, not stuff that should be released to the public, specially given that she is still married to the person in question. What's interesting is that this author had written 13 novels prior to this one, none of which had been accepted for publishing. When she published an article, I think it was in the New York times, of what is now an excerpt of the book, there was a huge reponse from readers. It would seem that when an author writes something that hits a nerve with a large number of people, this is what launches their career to new heights, so we could look at both these books in terms of "look at me, look at me" (authors should have kept the not insignificant issues in their personal lives to themselves) or they could be considered disseminators of information that has served its purpose in terms of giving other people in parallel or partially parallel situations ideas about what action to take next which is then exceedingly useful in their own lives.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #2762
Griff
still says videotape

I was at a local party this afternoon / evening where I found out that the diocese plans to remove and sell the stained glass windows from the church they just closed. The windows were purchased over the last 150? years by parishioners making donations in their relatives names. I'm glad I'm out.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #2763
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Perhaps they are moving them to another parish. What do you think they should have done, Griff?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #2764
Griff
still says videotape

The locals want to take control of the building and keep it as a special events chapel so it will pay for its own upkeep. It is right next to a cemetery full of the people whose names are on the lower part of the windows. It is one of two historically significant buildings in the area, which are on the grounds of an early college most of which burned in 1864. The massive farmhouse across the street was the convent. I believe the church was built as a replacement after the fire. It is the brick church on this page which was closed in part due to the priest shortage, but mostly due to the parishioners lack of influence with the thankfully departed insane bishop.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #2765
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

The gel coating on my nails is chipping off. that means my polish is going to get pretty shabby pretty quickly, which means I'm going to be up for a manicure much sooner than I should be.

Yes petty I know, but it's still irritating when people don't do their job properly.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #2766
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

where are my motherfucking photos that I uploaded picasa you fucking bitch?
Nevermind, I found them.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #2767
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Yes petty I know, but it's still irritating when people don't do their job properly.
I, too, am a great believer in a job well done. That's why I never hesitate to leave it to a better qualified person.

Sounds a bit lazy, I know...
Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #2768
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
where are my motherfucking photos that I uploaded picasa you fucking bitch?
Nevermind, I found them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by picasa
right here where you put them you fuckin loser.
Try refreshing your page and remembering where you put them before bitching at me next time.
I'm just a storage site - ya loser

Old 08-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #2769
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

INVISIBLE TICKLISH NOSE HAIR
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #2770
lookout123
changed his status to single

It's only invisible to you. I can see it from here. Frigging gross, dude.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #2771
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
INVISIBLE TICKLISH NOSE HAIR
I feel your pain.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #2772
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Sometimes, an email can be like nails on a chalkboard. Gaaah! Names have been removed to protect the unfortunate.

Quote:
We need your help! Earlier this summer I contacted [coworker who was laid off last year] about a project I’m working on for our Executive Summit. It’s a time to show the leaders of our portfolio companies how much we—and their own teams—care about them. We realize that it can be lonely at the top, and we need your help for a fun project we dreamed up! But this is a surprise to [our company CEO] and the rest of the gang, so shhhh…

This year I’m doing a special presentation to thank the executives. But the thank you isn’t going to come from me – it’s going to come from you and the rest of [our company]. I’m collecting images providing by our portfolio companies that share the love with your team. It can be a picture of employees holding a sign that says “we love you” or “thank you” or a creative graphic design you come up with. Have any inside jokes or something particular to the company? Add them in! Does your marketing, communication or graphics department have a creative idea? Collaborate to come up with something creative and meaningful. Then the images will be presented in a slide show at the summit. This is going to be a surprise for the executives, so keep it a secret from them! Send the image, preferably a .jpg file, to [marketing person's email address].

We’re awarding a FlipCam for the most creative and inventive submission, so have fun! But remember, it’s a secret, so keep it under wraps. I’d love a submission by Tuesday, August 31. Is that doable?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #2773
SamIam

Corporations "sharing the love?" Sounds faintly obscene.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #2774
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Where's my FlipCam?
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #2775
casimendocina
Professor

Uuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhh....those words "Shhhh, it's a secret" will strike terror in me for the rest of my days.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar