The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
lookout123
changed his status to single

Travel Questions

It is time to once again dip the ladle into the knowledge stew we know as the cellar.

for work i get an all expenses paid trip and i've got choices.

i'm pretty sure my 1st choice is an 8day/7night meditteranean cruise. spain/italy/france/spain. there is a strong chance that there may not be enough slots open for me to get on that one though.

so i've got other options and am looking for input if you've been to any of these places, since i know nothing about them.

A) Turks & Caicos - ( i guess with this one, even your drinks are included)
B) Costa Rica -
C) someplace in the British virgin Islands
D) Bahamas
E) a week in Paris. for some reason, i'm really not that interested in this one.

in each case it is all expenses paid and they are all @6 days, same level of resort, etc... so none of the options has the lead in that way. anybody have ideas?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

A guy I work with took his girlfriend down to Costa Rica. They had a great time, but she came back with some kind of parasite. She had worms between her skull and scalp. After several doctors, they figured out how to get them out. Shave her head. Lay raw bacon over the entrance wounds (yes, the worms would stick their little heads out when it was dark in her hospital room) and when they bit onto the bacon, the docs pulled them out. I don't know how many, but there were several. I will never go to Costa Rica.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Chainsaw heard that, of course, from a friend of a friend of a friend who read it on the internet.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Chainsaw heard that, of course, from a friend of a friend of a friend who read it on the internet.
And he left out the part where, before the worms exited, they laid EGGS which hatched 6 months later into several thousand mature Amazon worms feeding off her BRAIN and, at the height of mating season, exited the now hollowed-out cranium via her sinus cavity and out of her NOSTRILS in the middle of the night in search of more BACON and, upon not finding BACON, consumed her boyfriend's penis. Oh, and his EYEBALLS.

But I hear they are quite tasty and considered a delicacy depending on how much brain matter they consumed before exiting the various orifices.

Last edited by Beestie; 02-25-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Oh, good god!

In Africa, it is understood that maggots depend on oxygen for
survival, so anecdotal reports abound on ways to block off their
breathing hole, visible on the furuncular surface. People have
reported doing this by making a completely airtight seal for
approximately 12 hours, e.g. with chewing gum or vaseline. The
hypoxia makes the creature come near the top of the breathing hole
making skilled removal easier, (care taken not to break the creature
into parts, for the reasons already mentioned). Sometimes, people in
Africa resort to placing fatty bacon (or similar) above the furuncle
to tempt the creature out, and the more skilled among them can
facilitate this process by very judicious squeezing when they spy the
head of the maggot emerging, as it looks for food. I think this
technique might be difficult to perfect, given the advisability of not
causing the aforementioned breakage of the creature, so total
smothering of it might be the better option.

And, on that note, its time for lunch!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

Must... resist... the urge to defend myself... Ok, I can't. I understand your skepticism. I like to think of myself as NOT gullible. I believe my co-worker only because I saw the pictures they took in the hospital AND I've met his girlfriend. But whatever!

I vote for the Mediterranean cruise, by the way. Italy is fabulous. And no, my opinion on Italy isn't just from watching the Travel Channel. I've actually been there myself.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:26 AM   #7
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw
Must... resist... the urge to defend myself.
No need - just ribbin' you. "Insect infects human" stories (many of which are urban legends) are fun to have fun with.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
404Error
Lecturer

Well, Lookout, this thread took a quick turn for the ugly.

Bet you'll be careful of how deep you dip the ladle into the knowledge stew in the future, huh?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:05 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

yeah, i'm guessing there just wasn't much to be said about the available selections. i'll be more careful next time i guess.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error
Well, Lookout, this thread took a quick turn for the ugly.
Not as ugly as the world can get if you stray outside the resort "enclosure" in the Carib.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I don't know that I know what it is that you do for a living that FOR WORK (!) you get a AEP trip to a FUN place. So, what the heck do you do? I am assuming this is a reward for something... Since I've never been to any of those places, maybe check out your local AAA (great free resources if you or someone you know is a member) or other travel oriented place for some brochures on each of them. Depending on time of year, some places might be nicer/less crowded than others. Don't forget to take your camera, and give us a show and tell when you get back!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, you should check out Department of State Travel Site

Heres a note from there on Costa Rica -

Quote:
Costa Rica

Costa Rica is a developing country. Tourist facilities, particularly in the capital, are generally adequate. It is strongly recommended that U.S. citizens use a valid U.S. passport to enter Costa Rica. U.S. citizens must have an onward or return ticket. Kidnapping of foreigners is on the increase. Money exchangers on the street pass off counterfeit U.S. dollars and local currency. Credit card fraud is growing.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Lookout---you, grrrr---damn! Whatever god/dess it is you pray to, I want to know coz you so lucky! Go to Costa Rica. It rocks.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

We've already got our tickets for Costa Rica! Still working on the itinerary though.

Anyway there are these grubs that grow in cows backs, you can pinch them and pop 'em out but the elegant way is to heat up a soda bottle and put it on the cows back. bottle cools grub gets sucked out yummy
Old 02-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
We've already got our tickets for Costa Rica! Still working on the itinerary though.
Will we have to take up a collection if you're kidnapped?

Ok, bad joke, but watch yourself down there.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote