The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
marichiko

Who can tell me sth about YOUR dream?

I suggest we all lighten up slightly and share one or two of our own personal dreams (i.e. hopes, goals, aspirations). Tell us all something that you hope to make come true in your own life, and I don't mean something like "I want to get into Brittany Speare's pants," but something concrete that you have a chance of making a reality.

I'll go first. My dream is to overcome my current difficulties enough that I can get paid as a writer and one day become self sufficient again through my writing skills (OK, go ahead and laugh, but the Cellar is actually a place where I'm attempting to refine whatever meager skills I might have in that area, and I know I'll need a good spell check program).

Last edited by marichiko; 09-11-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hmm. I'd like, over the next two years to achieve a high enough level at TESOL to be able to get a job working teaching with the refugee council. I'm mulling over the merits of learning either Urdu or Punjabi.Not to any high level of competence but enough to get by on a basic converation, y'know, be able to introduce myself and understand someone else's introduction, offer simple directions etc. All depends on what time I have over the next year or so.

I would also like to finish a story I am working on but again that's one of the things that gets pushed to the bottom of the list if I have studying to do.

On a longer term basis I'd like to know more about England between the 9th and 11th centuries. Much of my knowledge has been superceded by recent archaealogical findings and the research done by some of the current crop of Historians. I'd like to find more time to read and see what current thinking is on a few issues.

I'd also like to be better with money so I can dig myself out of the financial hole i so merrily dug myself into :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A friend of mine has patented a method which increases productivity and lowers errors in developing large systems. I am working with him to develop it, and my dream is that it will succeed and make the entire world more productive and better operational, effectively ending scarcity, changing the way all systems are programmed, and making me personally fucking filthy rich. We may know by the end of the year. Wish me luck.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What good is it to be rich and have to hide like Osama. You will, you know, when the jillion people you put out of work, come looking for you. :hafucking
Old 09-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I am extraordinarily gifted at avoiding the public.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
TheSnake
Resident President

Undertoad, you have to be an engineer with all that efficiency talk (It's ok, I'm an engineering graduate student).

Marichiko, way to go. What kind of topics do you like to write about?
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Snake, SW engineering, which is probably not real engineering by your standards! I know enough about engineering to know that I'm not one.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnake
Marichiko, way to go. What kind of topics do you like to write about?
Oh, you know, household hints, recipes, stuff like that.

Actually, I have several areas that I'd like to write in. One is young adult fantasy/fiction. I actually had written the first 4 chapters of a novel aimed at the 13 and up set, but my manuscript was destroyed when I was evicted. I'd also like to write my entire story if I could find a publisher for it and get organized enough to sit down and write the whole thing coherantly. I DID manage to save most of my journals from the past 5 years (I've formed the habit of writing in a daily journal as an aid to my memory), and I would like to refine them into a single book. I also think I might be able to make a go of it writing science articles for a general audience. I actually took a graduate journalism course in science writing just for fun when I was getting my Master's at CU. I'd have to have all my notes on stickies tacked to the sides of my computer screen, but I do that now anyhow when I write.

My greatest difficulties are getting organized enough and staying focused long enough to accomplish something worthy of submission, and the hurdles that every unknown writer has to overcome to get published in the first place. I am currently actually attempting a project, that if successful will go a long way toward rebuilding my self confidence and may possibly prove to be my first step on the road. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for asking!

Last edited by marichiko; 09-11-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:18 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

i would like to really get my business clicking so that in 3-5 years i can build a cabin up on the mountain so the family can spend weekends there. my son can play in the snow and enjoy all four seasons on our own property and i can retire there - in the distant distant future. i would like to work for about the next 15-20 years and then semi retire to read and write. that is about it.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

win a grammy.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You can have Homer Simpsons, he doesn't want it.
Seriuosly though, what will that do for you? Person achievement as a musician? Recognized by “the industry”? By your peers? By the public? Does it make you an undisputed professional? Give you a ticket to ride? Just because it’s the generally recognized industry award?
Would making 10 platinum albums in a row be as good, or does the grammy signify more than financial success. This may sound like a bunch of stupid questions but remember those of us on the outside don’t know what the ramifications are to somebody in the business.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

To win the fucking lottery and be done with all this damn work !!!
In real life to get the 40 achers of pine in Mississippi I own cut , build a house or at least a shell on our land on the Spring river , ritire there , sit by the river drinking beer watching the drunk scantaly clad pretty collage girls float by in the summer , and in the winter fish and just hang out by the fire .
Old 09-12-2004, 11:35 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah man, I always thought the Grammy(TM) was the award that least matched up with actual meaningful quality.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Does "sth" mean something or is Marichiko copying a typo or something from Echo?
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #15
jaguar
whig

Was wondering that too dar512. I'm getting interested UT, can you elaborate at all? You're sounding like the next joelonsoftware. That's a good thing for reference.

At the moment it's to get a picture published in a major publication. Do at least one pro trip into somewhere unfriendly and come back with something that makes it worthwhile. Get a Ducati S4R off my own back. Be fincially secure enough personally that if everything around me fell down it would have no impact on me personally. That's a tad longer term. Also conflicts heavily with the S4R when one considers insurance for a 21y.o on a 1000cc bike.