The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I finally bought my hot dog cart!!!

It's not the cart of my dreams, but it will work. I got it for $2,300.

It's a steam cart, but it has a portable grill on it. I figure I can use this until I break even, then I can get something better. The guy took a photo with a Sabrett's umbrella, but didn't give me the umbrella. It's not a big deal. The handles are missing on some of the pans but the guy says to use the tongs. I may just buy new pans.

The latch on the left door at the bottom is missing so I can see this being a problem when driving. The burner on the left is missing a couple of bolts to hold it in place so it jiggles. I will replace the bolts. It's missing the connector that goes from the propane to the portable grill. I'll have to buy one if I can find it.

I've already got my spot secured and paid for. I'll be selling dogs directly across the street from the Social Security Building in an area that has one of the highest concentrations of retired people in America. I'm working on the business paperwork at the moment.

I've got to get my state license. Then I apply to get a plan reviewed by the health department. Then I get an inspection. Then my county and/or city occupational permit. I'm also talking to a lawyer and an accountant about business structure, dba, etc.

I just got offered an IT job for $40/hr down here. That's almost what I was making in Los Angeles, and it's a lot cheaper here in Florida. It is very tempting, especially because the job is from 5pm to 2am. I could still run the cart.

Here's the ad I got the cart from. Let me know what you think.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/bfs/1158363561.html

Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
his is a quality mobile hot dog cart.
Custom body 2 propane tanks
1 hand washing sink
1 Umbrella
Hook it up to your vehicle drive away and open for business!
4 Steaming pans with lids
2 direct heat pans
Stainless steel grill
Two custom made fold out shelves
All necessary equipment to start making big money
WTF? what kind of a lay down are you?! go get your umbrella or take him on Judge Judy this instant!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The ad says the umbrella is included. C'mon Jim, I'll swing by and pick up Zip and we'll teach that shiester a lesson he won't soon forget.

Who the hell does he think he's messin' with?

The cart is awesome, Radar. I respect a man who says what he's going to do and, adversity be damned, goes out and does it. Serve hot dogs from 9:30am to 2:30pm, go home, shower up and report to the IT job at 5pm. Good man.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
WTF? what kind of a lay down are you?! go get your umbrella or take him on Judge Judy this instant!

It's seriously not that big a deal. My uncle Manny sells Sabretts and he has extra umbrella's he can give me. It's just the point that he said it was included in the ad, and when I went to buy it, suddenly it's missing.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I should think there'd be legal restrictions on that, ie, can't sell a Sabrett's brella to anybody because they might not sell Sabrett's.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Excellent point. I'm torn between branding myself (some people are brand loyal) or not. I'm leaning toward not branding and just getting a nice red & white umbrella.

If you brand yourself, they give you free things like umbrella's, signs, menus, etc. especially if you brand with Vienna Beef. They give you everything.

Sabretts are a bit less generous, but they do have the red onion sauce a lot of people seem to love.

If I don't brand, I don't get screwed if Sabretts or Vienna decide to raise prices. I can just switch brands.

On the advice of a very intelligent man I know, I was considering using Thumann's dogs, but they only sell 8/1 dogs. They don't have footlongs, or quarter pounders. This means I'd have to sell 2 different brands or only sell regular dogs...which might turn out to be better anyway.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

if you're gonna market your brand, put your Dante's Devil Dogs Logo on the Umbrella.

oh, and congrats, man.....that's freaking awesome!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Thanks. Now if I can only get a van with a tow hitch.

Last edited by Radar; 05-12-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

For some reason I thought you were somehow comparing yourself to Ignacious... but I see you are serious... in which case I must add...

Hebrew national have ALWAYS been my favorite and were the only dogs I went for in NYC when I lived there. Are you going to grill your dogs or will they be "Dirty water dogs?"
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I would prefer to have a flat grill like I originally intended. I think the smell of grilled dogs, onions, peppers, Italian sausages, brats, etc. brings a crowd.

For now, they will be dirty water dogs.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Good for you Radar. I hope it all works out exactly as you'd like it to.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
lookout123
changed his status to single

congratulations radar. don't get discouraged with all the little hurdles, you're living the dream.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Thank you all.

We bought a house cash and it will close on Thursday. We'll have no credit card payments, no house payments, no car payments, etc. and will be able to get by on very little, but will be able to save a lot if I make a lot.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
glatt

That cart looks great! Good job Radar. It's really coming along now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This is awesome, Radar. I say take the IT job, get a firm financial foundation under you and your family, and build the dog business slowly, with a plan and a goal. In three or four years, pay others to run your fleet of carts, and live like a king.

You go, dude. Oh. And get a custom Devil Dog umbrella made. Trust me on this.