Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #16
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
The Dems should easily take this election, given the current state of affairs. But as we've seen, it's pretty damn close. And I don't think racism is the issue, though I think some will stay away because of it.

Obama is being too easy on the GOP...and I think he still comes across as too mysterious. His campaign needs to figure out how to rub McCain the wrong way. Because if Johnny gets too riled up, people are going to be concerned about his temper...and it's already been a concern before.
I keep telling people, don't discount the "Deer Hunting for Jesus" crowd. People were shocked in 04 when Bush won a second time. It can and may happen again with McCain.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #17
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Radar has, it appears, no senses to come to, not even of taste.

What he has instead is a complex of the most violent, irrational, moronic anti-Republican prejudices that ever disgraced a poster, and which go far to show he is not a man of intelligence, being extra-special irrational in this election year. He has from time to time alleged he has a first-class intellect, apparently unaware that first-class intellects do not entertain violent prejudices. Kind of undercuts his argument.

If he wants to be a libertarian, he should model himself more after Larry Elder, whose thinking is widely available around these parts.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
He has from time to time alleged he has a first-class intellect, apparently unaware that first-class intellects do not entertain violent prejudices.
*laughs so hard she chokes on coffee*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #19
Urbane Guerrilla

Why?

You're probably thinking, "Need you ask?" Well, I've never understood your political motivations nor tastes, nor am I likely to approve of them even if I did. I have an idea of what is good; Radar on examination does not fit it.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #20
Urbane Guerrilla

There really wasn't a shock to GWB's reelection -- after all, he got 3.5M more popular votes. It was also manifest that the Dem standardbearer Kerry hadn't the leadership or the vision to guide the country to a successful conclusion of a war started by other people, who desire to be Americans' enemies above all else and don't mind saying so.

The senior Democratic Party leadership is useless in prosecuting this war, and in time of war we need a war fighter in the Oval Office, not a war loser. South Vietnam, after all, did fall specifically because the Democrats in Congress said let it drop, no? Cut off all support in 1973, did they not? The domino fell in mid 1975. And the Dems continue belying their very name a generation later, never squashing tyranny to replace it with democracy and more liberal sociopolitical forms. Only the Republicans have shown that kind of vision; the Libertarian Party one day may do so, even if I have to found a school of LP policy thought myself. The Republicans are actively trying to shrink the world's Non-Integrating Gap region, while the Democrats have never even attempted it. One group here has a strategy and a long view, the other doesn't.

The Dem Party reluctance to win this war leaves me thinking there are just two kinds of Democrats worth more than a pitcher of warm spit. One is those registered Democratic voters in their country's uniform; the other is Senator Joe Lieberman, whose party has so thoroughly abandoned him that he's now identified as "Independent" in news captions.

What I'm saying is if you've got a war, particularly against a tyranny, you might as well be a hawk if you want to be on the side of the angels.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
South Vietnam, after all, did fall specifically because the Democrats in Congress said let it drop, no? Cut off all support in 1973, did they not?
They did not.

Quote:
...never squashing tyranny to replace it with democracy and more liberal sociopolitical forms. Only the Republicans have shown that kind of vision; the Libertarian Party one day may do so,...
The main opposition to the Kosovo campaign came from libertarians and conservatives.

Quote:
he's now identified as "Independent" in news captions
Self-declared Independent; ran as Ind. in the last election.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #22
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Finally, I agree with Radar! Write down the date! Make a national holiday!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
some people like his "eff you" firey side.
Others wonder if it could lead to a nuclear exchange.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #24
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Radar has, it appears, no senses to come to, not even of taste.

What he has instead is a complex of the most violent, irrational, moronic anti-Republican prejudices that ever disgraced a poster, and which go far to show he is not a man of intelligence, being extra-special irrational in this election year. He has from time to time alleged he has a first-class intellect, apparently unaware that first-class intellects do not entertain violent prejudices. Kind of undercuts his argument.

If he wants to be a libertarian, he should model himself more after Larry Elder, whose thinking is widely available around these parts.
Larry Elder isn't a libertarian, and neither are you. And you're not in a position to discuss the intellect of a flea, let alone your intellectual, social, and moral superior...me.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #25
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The main opposition to the Kosovo campaign came from libertarians and conservatives.
Libertarians aren't conservatives, and true libertarians are never in favor of war unless it is to defend our own country.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #26
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Others wonder if it could lead to a nuclear exchange.
And that's kinda what I'm getting at. We like emotion...we don't like too much, though. Remember Edmund Muskie? Howard Dean?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #27
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

I'm voting Republican because I believe oil is important to America, and the Liberals would rather talk about being “green” without doing anything substantial about it.

I’m voting Republican because I am a war veteran and am humbled by the sacrifice and blood lost by my brothers and sisters in-arms. The Democrats only want to shrink the Armed Forces and force us into drastic shortages that make it difficult to defend our Constitution and freedom.

I'm voting Republican because freedom of speech is part of the Constitution, period.

I'm voting Republican to vote against every wayward Liberal author, movie director, and reporter, because I am not buying the agenda they are trying to shove down the throat of every American.

I'm voting Republican because even though we're in a war that most Americans, and both parties agreed to getting into, we will do everything we can to support the democracy for the people of Iraq. These are the same people that have suffered in a way that most Americans could never even imagine.

I'm voting Republican because I believe in freedom from government oppression and control.

I'm voting Republican because no matter what we do, nature has a way of defeating our stupid blundering. And if in fact we screw up so badly it cannot sustain life any longer, well, we deserve it. I guess we Republicans will be lucky since we are the only ones that believe in the God of the Bible.

I’m voting Republican because I love my SUV.

I'm voting Republican because I believe that the immoral few should not dictate the moral majority. I believe my taxes should not go to provide health care for illegal immigrants, or for people that live risky life styles. I don’t live a risky life style and think it’s ridiculous to pay for someone else that could care less for the consequences of their actions, or for others.

I'm voting Republican because employees should take pride in their work and should endeavor to do their best for the pay they get. I am also voting Republican because I believe in democracy and enterprise.

I'm voting Republican because I am well educated, well read, and above average intelligence. With a Master’s degree in Engineering (4.0), and an IQ of 152, I am in the top 5%. Thinking can be fun!

I'm voting Republican because there should be justice for anyone that suffers at the hands of criminals.

I'm voting Republican because I believe life is sacred, period. Only fanatics hate others.

I'm voting Republican because drug addiction that leads to criminal behavior is wrong.

I'm voting Republican because the United States is not best served by the United Nations which has never shown itself to be effective at anything but corruption. Read “What's Wrong with the United Nations and How to Fix it” byThomas G. Weiss, or the ‘Controversy and criticism section in Wikipedia for the United Nations.

I'm voting Republican because government should allow businesses to bring more jobs and make more money without being overly controlled by the Democrats.

I'm voting Republican because marijuana is not specifically used to relieve the pain of illness, but is mostly abused and leads to criminal conduct.

I'm voting Republican because "Standing Tall for America" has been misused and misrepresented by Liberals to make fun of people of values. Sorry, the jokes on you.

I'm voting Republican because the flag stands for freedom. Burning the flag is unpatriotic. I believe it is possible for people with IQs over 70 to come up with other ways to protest. Of course that’s not the case if they are Anti-American, in which case I say there are many planes, trains, boats, and automobiles leaving our borders every day. Why don’t you board one?

I'm voting Republican because abortion of an unborn child is murder. A child is not a choice; however the majority of bad decisions leading up to the pregnancy are a choice. Take some responsibility for crying out loud. And before we go down that road, the willful killing of an innocent and helpless victim is murder, but it is not murder for the state to put to death someone who is guilty of heinous crimes. If it were, I’d rather a criminal live than an innocent child be murdered.

I'm voting Republican which has nothing to do with religion, sexual preference, or any individual personality. If it did, it wouldn’t be my choice, but an influence or peer pressure…much like what the Democratic Party does. In my city, Democrats load up buses, hand out boxes of cigarettes and take people to the polls to vote for their party. Other than a weekly government check, these people never receive anything positive or reinforcing from their party. How sad.

I'm voting Republican because the best way to improve military morale is to praise the troops in speeches while the Democrats slash veterans' benefits and combat pay. Don’t tell me they don’t, I served during the horrid Clinton era. I was on food stamps and had to suffer annual raises below COLA.

I'm voting Republican because I am not a prude in my own bed. I just happen to make wise decisions regarding whom I have sex with, and how.

I'm voting Republican because condoms in schools condone sex amongst adolescents who are usually not mentally or emotionally prepared for such intimate relationships, nor the consequences.

I'm voting Republican because fighting terrorism benefits our allies as much as it does us.

I'm voting Republican because the Democrats haven’t come up with a good solution to replace our existing HMO and insurance situation without me having to pay for free-loaders and those with risky life styles that cause a drain on the healthcare system.

I'm voting Republican because global warming is not a fact, that tobacco's does cause cancer, and creationism is being kept out of schools.

I'm voting Republican because the world is a complex place and only the Republicans are willing to change to meet the challenges of the world at any given time. A Saddam today is a Maddas tomorrow. All I ever saw was the Democrats sitting on their hands.

I'm voting Republican because a president lying about an extramarital affair is an impeachable offense. To accept this behavior as okay is shameful and embarrassing for our entire nation.

I'm voting Republican because our president didn’t have to try hard to enlist support from all Americans for a war to fight terrorism. Maybe the next evil ruler won’t lie about WMDs to keep people from waging war on them.

I'm voting Republican because I support marriage between a man and woman only, and because I want our government to protect our nation by keeping dangerous and harmful material out of the hands of the deranged, perverts, and the innocent children by censoring the Internet.

I'm voting Republican because the public has a right to know about financial dealings of political candidates because it shows a history of fair dealing, or not. I also believe in focusing on what really matters, not silly things like driving records.

I'm voting Republican because I support states' rights due to the strict interpretation of the Constitution, by which all rights not delegated by the Constitution to the federal government belong to the states.

I'm voting Republican because it gives both Democrats and Republicans the opportunity to work together for the better of our country, regardless of what happened in the ‘60s or the ‘80s. You’ll NEVER get bi-partisan cooperation or acknowledgement with the Democrats in charge.

I'm voting Republican because trade with Cuba, China and Vietnam is much more complicated that a witty comment could ever portray. The Republicans are willing to address these foreign policy issues. By the way, since 1961 the United States Government has initiated various policy measures against Cuba's government, not all of which were Republican lead. Get a book and read for a change, instead of getting your news from the Liberal media and other corrupt sources.

I am voting Republican because it’s the best choice for our country. It also gives me a little satisfaction that it pisses off a Liberal. :p
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #28
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Wow! There are enough self-contradictory statements in that previous post for a thesis.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #29
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Way to put it out there Yznhymr, I may not agree with all of it, but I'm impressed nonetheless.
Especially when its so popular to vote for "Change" no matter how empty the promises of it.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #30
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Interesting post Yznhymr, although I don't see how being pushed around by the moral majority (the use of majority depends on how loose the definition of 'moral') is any better than being pushed around by 'godless liberals'.

Maybe I want my kid to have real sex education and don't want the government to discriminate in it's funding.

Maybe I like science based on actual science.

Maybe I like choice.

The 'immoral few' aren't forcing women to have abortions, but giving them the choice. The correct term is really the 'amoral majority'.

I still remember that many of today's 'moral majority' thought segregation and miscegenation laws were just fine back in the day, and confused intolerance with morality.

Freedom is usually messy, and authoritarians always promise order and calm. Personally, I think any person who measures his or her morality by how effectively he or she can interfere with my life is an asshole.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote