The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #151
jinx
Come on, cat.

This study isn't about health care workers getting or not getting sick, it's about the effectiveness of vaccinating the healthy/strong to protect the weak who are exposed to them.

"It is the terrain, milieu or environment that determines health or disease, NOT the pathogen." - Bechamp
Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #152
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I understood that, was just pointing out an observation and making a comment.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #153
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Where is the study to see if HCW get sick less because the have better immune systems from being around sick people more than those who try to live in bubbles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Purely my experience. Find your own studies.
Don't be a dick. I was agreeing with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
This study isn't about health care workers getting or not getting sick, it's about the effectiveness of vaccinating the healthy/strong to protect the weak who are exposed to them.
Oh I got that - was adding my 2 cents on a somewhat related tangent. I'll be over here - carry on.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #154
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
I never get flu shots. Ever. they scare me.
I do not either. They make me terribly ill. More ill than if I just let nature take its course, which then,my symptoms are mild. I don't buy the reasoning that I already had the flu when I got the flu shot. I've had two flu shots several years apart and with the same result.

I did get the pneumonia shot because my lungs had been compromised for about a year. I think respiratory failure is the real threat.

Last edited by skysidhe; 04-09-2010 at 10:05 AM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #155
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I've never had a flu shot. If I can avoid it, I never will.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #156
skysidhe

I've read a few articles about the link between the surge in Alzheimer's and the flu shot. It's not THE sole cause but it certainly can be a contributing factor perhaps.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #157
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I guess I'm just not that afraid of the flu. I understand that for people with compromised immune systems it might be a good idea, but I don't see the need for me to get one. How would I know if it worked, if I rarely get full-blown flu anyway?

Then when the swine thing hit and I said, from the get-go, it was a big bunch of hooey. I am so pissed people weren't dropping like flies a la The Stand.

Now, it's like the little boy who cried pandemic flu...I just can't get excited about it.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #158
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
I've read a few articles about the link between the surge in Alzheimer's and the flu shot. It's not THE sole cause but it certainly can be a contributing factor perhaps.
via the Alzheimer's Association:

Myth 6: Flu shots increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease
Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health.

A Nov. 27, 2001, Canadian Medical Journal report suggests older adults who were vaccinated against diphtheria or tetanus, polio, and influenza seemed to have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those not receiving these vaccinations. The full text of this report is posted on the journal’s Web site.

A report in the Nov. 3, 2004, JAMA found that annual flu shots for older adults were associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes. The abstract of that report is posted on PubMed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #159
skysidhe

Hey I don't remember posting that! j/k

Ok I went trying to find medical evidence to support my claim besides squidoo although what I found is sited by squidoo too.

Google search results the same sources mainly DR. Fudenberg and John Hopkins. I only found one instance of DR. Haley as being used as a supporting claim.

This is what I found.

Dr. Fudenberg at the NVIC International Vaccine Conference, Arlington, VA September, 1997. Quoted with permission.
A serious concern: Alzheimer's Disesase
Hugh Fudenberg, MD, an immunogeneticist and biologist with nearly 850 papers published in peer review journals, has reported that if an individual had five consecutive flu shots between 1970 and 1980 (the years studied), his/her chances of getting Alzheimer's Disease is ten times higher than if they had zero, one, or two shots.[vii]

Dr. Boyd Haley, Professor and Chair of the Department of Chemistry at the University of Kentucky, Lexington has done extensive research in the area of mercury toxicity and the brain. Haley's research has established a likely connection between mercury toxicity and Alzheimer's disease. [viii] In a paper published in collaboration with researchers at University of Calgary, Haley stated that "seven of the characteristic markers that we look for to distinguish Alzheimer's disease can be produced in normal brain tissues, or cultures of neurons, by the addition of extremely low levels of mercury."[ix]

John's Hopkins Newsletter Nov 1998.

I could not find the Newsletter from John Hopkins although it has been sited as a source. If I have some time later I would love to try to find it but I am very busy. John Hopkins has a website and I searched for awhile but must give it up to get some work done.

I think John Hopkins has a good reputation but I don't know about the other two doctors.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #160
jinx
Come on, cat.

In Aussie news...

Flu vaccination ban goes national after fever, convulsions in children

Quote:
Seasonal flu vaccinations across Australia for children under five have been suspended after 23 children in Western Australia were admitted to hospital with convulsions following their injections.
One child, aged 1, remains in a coma in a Perth hospital.

Parents hammer hotline as 250 adverse flu jab reactions reported

Quote:
MORE than 250 adverse flu jab reactions have now been reported in under-fives. Australia's adverse events hotline says its phones are "running hot" with calls from parents, and the scare has spread to New Zealand, with the Health Ministry saying it had recorded at least three cases of febrile convulsions following vaccination.
In Western Australia, where a potential spike in cases was first spotted, the number of children under five who have suffered fevers after being immunised has now risen to 251, The Australian reports.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #161
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Somehow after skipping the flu shot this year, I also skipped on the flu.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #162
jinx
Come on, cat.

WHO swine flu experts 'linked' with drug companies

Quote:
Key scientists behind World Health Organization advice on stockpiling of pandemic flu drugs had financial ties with companies which stood to profit, an investigation has found.
The British Medical Journal says the scientists had openly declared these interests in other publications yet WHO made no mention of the links.
Conflicts of Interest
WHO and the pandemic flu "conspiracies"

Quote:
A joint investigation by the BMJ and the Bureau of Investigative Journalism has uncovered evidence that raises troubling questions about how WHO managed conflicts of interest among the scientists who advised its pandemic planning, and about the transparency of the science underlying its advice to governments.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #163
TheMercenary

How much of this do we (the public) have to be told about these relationships between government and the business of medicine before people wake up?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #164
jinx
Come on, cat.

What can people do, once they're awake, to change the way things are done?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #165
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
What can people do, once they're awake, to change the way things are done?
Just keep spreading the word and exposing them. But it is really hard to get the mainstream media to pick up on this stuff.

Tags
flu, immunizations