The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Old 08-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Lil' Pete turned 16 so I've made it a habit to critique the driving around us when we travel together to give her a sense of what is safe/legal etc.. My commentary is almost non-stop, people are consistently stupid behind the wheel. It is almost like they have no sense of the physical world. I've had to rat myself out a couple times as well, which has improved my habits.
With my commute, I call it "running the gauntlet", my commentary is ongoing as well. I left road rage behind a long time ago, since I was much younger, but I will mumble "idiot" quite a lot. I mean, what was that lane change in the middle of construction in bumper to bumper traffic for? This lane is not going ANY faster, and you almost caused a wreck in the process.

As far as the OP, the way things have been going at work, I'm starting to think it describes ME!

Last edited by Shawnee123; 08-01-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: grammar rocks!
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I mean, what was that lane change in the middle of construction in bumper to bumper traffic for? This lane is not going ANY faster, and you almost caused a wreck in the process.
Sorry, but I needed to put my mascara on and the light was so much better in that lane.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #19
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Every now and again, you see some fella driving like he was in a hymn.

"Immortal, Invisible, God only wise..."

You could go on about Stop-lights inaccessible, hid from his eyes... if you want. If you have time.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
One reasons for such inflated scores could be that mediocre people usually associate with mediocre people. Dumb people usually associate with dumb people. Smart people usually associate with smart people. If you are smartest out of a mediocre group, you will have much higher confidence than being the dumbest out of the smart group, even though the latter may be much smarter than the former. We tend to forget that there are much smarter and dumber people than the small groups we associate with.
Argh. Has happened to me more than once.
I got used to being the most liberal, the best read and the most intelligent person in my small clique. Forgetting that my small clique was formed of employees in an office job I hated. Jobs I mean. More than one.

Coming here was a big sigh of satisfaction. Like a shower which is just a tiny bit too cold on a hot day. People writing the way I wished I could write. Whole threads I didn't even feel qualified to post in. Humour which hit me on the back of the head because I couldn't have seen that response coming if I'd been up since dawn with radar.

Same happened to a sadder degree at my friend's wedding. I felt so stupid, so dowdy, such a failure amongst these people. They had cars and their own houses and fashions and friends et al. They talked about their lives at a level I couldn't have caught with a net. I was asked, "Didn't you find Leicester so restrictive after London? There aren't even any decent restaurants!" I failed to admit that my idea of canny eating was ordering half a portion at the local chippy because I knew he'd take pity and give me a full portion. Half of which I'd reheat the next night for tea.

I suppose one of the benefits of my subsequent meltdown was partly the ability to feel more humble. And partly giving less of a shit about the opinion of people who I'll never meet again.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote