FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
It's almost like a troll, but with no malicious intent - it is all about patterns.
You're absolutely right, it's about patterns, but he's not actually demanding that I sing, the way a kid would normally say, "Do this for me!" He doesn't even let me finish the songs the majority of the time. It's just a chant he starts and then gets stuck on. He doesn't get more intense, or more frustrated if I don't respond--he just keeps going. He'll chant to himself if I'm not in the room. I complete his phrases for my own sanity, because so far it's the only way for him to move on from the thing he's stuck on. (He does, however, get extremely frustrated if I give the wrong response.) He's grouped his books into seemingly random units that must be "completed" too--for example, if we read the Curious George firetruck book, we have to read the Tonka dump truck book too. (And it's not because they're both about vehicles, he has dozens of that type. I personally suspect it's because they're both mostly yellow.) Those books cannot be read individually, no matter how many other books we do or don't read.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autism, food intolerance