The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-29-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

A truly stupid question

Does Tabasco sauce require refrigeration, once opened?

One would think so, as with most food products, but it doesn't specify it anywhere on the bottle or packaging. If I can get away with throwing a bottle in my coat pocket and having it in restaurants, it'd be keen.

(Ingredients of the variety I have on hand: red pepper, distilled vinegar, water, salt, garlic.)
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Most restaurants just keep it out on the tables, much like ketchup and mustard. These sorts of condiments are very acidic, and so retard formation of nasties. Then again, restaurants use condiments at a much faster rate than an individual would, and spoilage is much more likely over a longer period of time.

In the end, I think Tabasco is probably not going to cause you a problem if you carry it around. I sympathize with your sentiment here as I would use Tabasco on corn flakes if I wasn't afraid I'd be committed.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Pie
Gone and done

Most mustards/catsups/hotsauces etc. don't need to be refridgerated at all... despite what it may say on the package. The high acidity of the food keeps it from growing things. The same is true of pancake syrup (not acid, tho -- it's the sugar content).

Most people just keep this stuff in the fridge because -- what the hey, it can't hurt.

Go ahead, bring hot sauce with you. My personal favorite is Frank's Red Hot... Yum...

I think I'm going to make myself an egg sandwich with redhot. Now that's a breakfast that'll wake you up!

- Pie

PS: Try this: Onion bagle, toasted, spread with peanut butter, drizzled with redhot and sprinkled with Penzy's sate seasoning (curry powder-like stuff). In my SO's words, "Woah, that's really strange. Can I have a taste?"
Old 01-29-2003, 10:32 AM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Tabasco sauce has vinegar in it and is already aged. Refrigeration can't hurt. Some of the best sauce I had was a cheap generic store brand I kept in the regrigerator. After a few months, it had aquired a nice aged flavor.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The godfathers say this:

What is the shelf life of TABASCO®?

TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce has a shelf life of 5 years when stored in a cool, dry place.

Well, this isn't exactly the answer sought by vsp, so I sent an e-mail to them. It follows below. Hopefully I'll hear from them in a few days.

To whom it may concern:

First off, I wanted to say how much I love Tabasco sauce. It's quite possibly one of the greatest foods ever created.

I read your FAQ list; however, there is one question to which I could not find the answer. While you say Tabasco has a shelf life of 5 years, should it be refrigerated once opened? Does this help give it that 5 year shelf life, or does it simply need to be left in a "cool dry place," regardless of refrigeration?

Thank you,

Terry Blastenbrei
Philadelphia, PA

I'll post the reply once I get it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

vinegar, sans sugar, no need for chill.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:56 AM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

You know, this reminds me of a letter to Ann Landers. The newly-married woman said that her mother-in-law did not refrigerate mayonnaise. The writer of the letter said that not only did this gross her out, she couldn't believe the entire family hadn't died of food poisoning. So she was trying to get Ann to convince them that this was a bad practice.

Too bad. Ann contacted one of the big mayo mfrs. and they said that while they recommend refrigeration of their product to give the best taste, that due to the way it's produced (pasteurization? I forget, it was several years ago) there is no health risk to leaving it at normal room temperature.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:07 PM   #8
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Brian weighs in

I do not and have never refrigerated my Tabasco sauce.

or most steak sauces either. And although my guts are rotten, it should in no way influence my decision to shelve my Tabasco.

YMMV

Brian
Old 02-01-2003, 12:05 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Tabasco sauce does not need refrigeration. Just keep it somewhere other than in the glovebox of your car (might freeze and burst the bottle in the winter, gets damn yucky in the summer).

Variety recommendation from the 'Wolf kitchen ... Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce. MMMMMMMM....

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:29 AM   #10
Geekzilla
Questionist

Most hot sauces won't spoil, but a few will settle or lose their color after a while.

The best hot sauce in the world is still the jar of vinegar, scotch bonnets and nanner peppers your mama put on the table every summer right next to the bowl of cucumbers and onions in vinegar, black pepper and sugar.

As far as commercial brands go, my favorites are still:

Tabasco
Crystal Louisiana
Andre's Rouge
Mrs. Dog
Chile Today, Hot Tamale
Geekzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:05 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

How hot is tobasco? Put it on ice cream and see how much it melts. However if the ice cream starts smoking, assume the tobasco has gone bad.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:30 PM   #12
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Chile Today - Hot Tamale makes THE best potato chips on the planet, as well as handy containers of ground-up chiles for use wherever normal people would use salt and pepper.

Tabasco's gotten experimental lately. Now, to go with their traditional Red (heavy cayenne) and Green (jalapeno) varieties, they have Garlic Pepper (milder), Chipotle (VERY good) and Habanero flavors as well. No complaints here.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:22 AM   #13
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Buffalo Wild Wing's hottest wing sauce could damage your mouth, dangerous shit, I have never tried it actually, but I tried the 2nd and 3rd hottest and they are about enough to kill me, and I love hot sauce. Franks Red Hot Sauce is now my favorite followed by Texas Champagne and then Tabasco.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #14
perth
Strong Silent Type

i like franks too. ive never tried that chipotle tabasco sauce, but i think im gonna get some next time i go grocery shopping. what about salsas? any suggestions for better salsa than pace? ive tried making it before, but that never works out.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:33 AM   #15
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
what about salsas? any suggestions for better salsa than pace?
~james

You're kidding, right? Pace? That stuff's made in New York City!

Anything by DL Jardine is great. Tia Rosa is good also, and I love Mrs. Renfro's Black Bean Salsa.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote