The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #271
Apollo
i need friends

Today I learned that final papers should never be put off till the night before they are due.

I feel like I'm learning this one over and over and over again.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #272
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Talk to Dana, she'll show you the way.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #273
monster
I hear them call the tide

In the last few weeks, I have learned the rules of hockey and how to operatethe clock and scoreboard so you can get the best seat in the house. 7-3 today, plenty of action, much fun.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #274
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Today I've learned that there is an easy way to sum up three philosophies of living:

Socrates: To Thine Own Self Be True.

Epicurus: Live Simply So Others May Simply Live.

Seneca: Be Prepared Coz Shit Happens; or, Resistance Is Futile.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #275
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I learned that it is a bitch to clean your pool in the spring if you don't cover and winterize it in the fall. My bad. My burden.
On the flip side, tho, I'm almost done. This is one case where chemicals are our friend.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #276
monster
I hear them call the tide

With pools chemicals are always our friend. Until it comes to the billing time.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #277
Tiki

I learned that it is very likely that insulin and zinc are both crucial for the operation of tiny meat-spectroscopes in our noses that allow us to instantly identify smellable molecules!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #278
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

how fast do fingernails grow?

Quote:
The answer to this question is actually a bit complex. The rate of growth of human fingernails varies, depending on the person, the nail in question, and the time of year. As a general rule, human fingernails grow between half an inch (one centimeter) and four inches (10 centimeters) per year, and a number of things can influence this growth rate. Incidentally, fingernails grow approximately five times as fast as toenails, for those who are curious.
Among the many factors which influences the rate of growth is age. Younger people tend to grow their fingernails more quickly, especially if they eat healthy, varied diets. To improve the strength and appearance of fingernails, people can consume gelatin, which will help build thicker, stronger nails. Gelatin can also contribute to hair health, as well, although it will not significantly impact the rate of growth for human hair. Dietary imbalances can cause spotting or ridges on the nails, and an overload of certain toxins can also have an impact on nail growth and appearance.
One must also consider the finger when looking at the rate of nail growth. Longer fingers appear to grow nail material more quickly, as do the fingers on the dominant hand. On most people, the middle finger of the dominant hand grows a nail most quickly, while the thumb or pinky of the other hand has the slowest rate of nail growth.
Human fingernails appear to grow more quickly during the daylight, which means that they also grow more during the summer, when daylight hours are increased. As human fingernails grow, they can be shaped with trimming, a technique which can also be used to strengthen the edge of the nail by trimming away thin, ragged material on the nail and cuticle. Some people also like to oil their nails to keep them fully hydrated, or to use nail-strengthening solutions if they have especially thin or pitted nails.

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #279
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Some people also like to oil their nails
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #280
daff0dil
Profitable Prophet

Today I learned I am one of very few people I know excited by the Vaselines coming to portland. Or, even actually, aware the Vaselines ever existed. This could also go into the "what is annoying me today" sub. btw.
daff0dil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #281
Tiki

I would have gone if they were here yesterday!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #282
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

I learnt Neorealists are stupid.

Well, I didn't really learn it, so much as find yet another piece of evidence to confirm it. Academic pissing matches, yay!
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #283
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This evening I am learning that

Country music + bourbon == a *very* potent admixture, practically hypergolic.

Handle with extreme caution, especially when mixed in the presence of solitude.

You have been warned.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #284
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Today I learned that if you overcook honey battered chicken, it tastes like chicken-flavored charcoal briquettes.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #285
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I learned that it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.