The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #31
Leokins
Civil Civilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipshot View Post
"Little pieces of gold poo..."? That's on the verge of poetic...or something...
Why thank you, I'm known as the best crap poet around. -> A pun and an oxymoron, aren't I awesome? :p
Leokins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Money, schmunny. I want to know more about that Google thingamajig where you did that. Brilliant job, Bruce.
Moi? Nay nay, ZenGum posted the email that was going around last week, in which the author linked to the Google thingamajig he used to create the illustrations.

I did however find this;
Quote:
Therefore, a trillion dollars is ten billion (1010) $100 dollar bills, corresponding to a stack of bills 1200 km or 740 miles high! If the bills were $1 bills, there would be1012 (a trillion) of them, and they’d form a stack 74,000 miles high, or 30% the distance to the Moon!
Suppose the bills were joined end-to-end. Dollar bills are about 6 inches or 15 cm long, so 10 billion $100 dollar bills would form a belt 1.5 x 106 (1.5 million) km long. That’s about 900,000 miles long, almost four times the Earth-Moon distance.
And if you string a trillion $1 bills end-to-end, you’d get a belt o’ bills a hundred times longer than that, or about 90 million miles. You’re past Mars’s orbit and entering the asteroid belt going away from the Sun, and in the other direction, you’ve about reached the Sun!
My post referred to the 363 tons of $100 bills shipped to Iraq.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #33
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

It just occured to me that Elspode might have been right. All I did was copy and paste from an email I received. I don't nkow who actually worked all that out, but it might well have been a person named Bruce. Who knows?

And I was wondering when we'd see the stats you just provided, about the money going to or past the moon and such. That is the normal comparison, although that is a bit silly cause virtually none of us really know how far it is to the moon.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe, but I'd guess he just fucked up. Too many lovely women in his life, no time to stop and read the details.

Uh, "normal comparison"? What could be normal about attempting to describe a trillion dollars? I mean it ain't like discussing whether you do the across or down first in the daily crossword puzzle.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #35
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

By normal comparison I meant that there are various standard comparisons that are widely used:
Smaller than a human hair/fingernail
Bigger than a tennis court/soccer field
Taller than the Statue of Liberty
Enough [water] to fill an Olympic swimming pool (or Sydney Harbour, down under)
Either piled up or laid end to end, would go around the world X number of times (or would go to the moon and back).

The sort of well known things that journalists compare things to.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #36
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

And don't forget Rhode Island! We'd want to know how deep the dollars would get if they were used to fill Rhode Island.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #37
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Ease up on Little Rhody there, sweet!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #38
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'd like to know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

Zen, please illustrate.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #39
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

4,000, apparently, but they must be specially imported from Lancashire.

Here ya go:

....................................................................................................
....................................................................................................

Last edited by ZenGum; 03-12-2009 at 08:41 PM.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #40
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

That really puts it into perspective.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #41
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Maybe, but I'd guess he just fucked up. Too many lovely women in his life, no time to stop and read the details.
In case you all haven't been paying attention, I fuck up a lot. Scour my posts diligently and you'll find that I have never claimed perfection. Quite the opposite, actually.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well yes and no.
Yes... you never claim perfection, quite the contrary, your self deprecation is legendary.

No... you may "fuck up a lot", but not in the Cellar. I find your posts to be clear, informative, always eloquent and frequently poignant.

I also find your competition to charm the ladies, insurmountable.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #43
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Bruce, you have no problems that a trillion dollars wouldn't fix
Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That certainly would be helpful in hiding them, anyway.

I could fill the tip jar, which is a little low.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #45
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

How the hell am I going to wheel barrow a trillion dollars to the store to buy bread two years from now?

Geez. That will require either 1 month of continuous work or sharing my loaf of bread with the wheel barrow team.

Completely unworkable either way.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote