The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #151
busterb
NSABFD

My 2nd trip to Bay Marchand I had this kid for a helper. I'll try to work this up soon.
boxer: Chuck Mince
Global ID 18042
sex male
division welterweight
nationality United States
residence Westwego, LA
won 15 (KO 4) + lost 4 (KO 1) + drawn 1 = 20

In 4 round middleweight fight, 25 year old undefeated Chuck Mince (9-0, 4 KO's) scored a 2nd round knockdown and routed comebacking 33 year old Chalon "The Rebel" Bechnel (10-2-1, 8 KO's) into a 3rd round TKO defeat at 2:15.
Years above unknown by me? I also can't kind an age for him.

Chucks mom married an asshole named Bob Fluke. One night Bob left the Fin & feather and said had to go home and straighten out the kids. Well you can guess the rest of that story.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #152
busterb
NSABFD

I wish I knew how to put this in chronological order, but things keep popping up, like the link above. Hell I haven’t thought of Babin in 35 years.
Years later Chevron went to court and ripped the ass out of some of the old hands who were doing under the table shit. Took their retirement, fines and the whole deal.

BTW. A lady welder friend of mine just retired from Ingalls shipyard. About 34 years. Here’s a painting she did and donated to bluebirds, a cancer thing for survivors.
Attached Images

Last edited by busterb; 09-16-2007 at 08:43 PM.
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #153
busterb
NSABFD

Now back to some of the tales. I learned a few things while working offshore.
Never work, cut on a pipe because someone told you it was the right one. Check it, even if you have to go below decks and crawl the pipe. Be sure the pipe has an open end somewhere.
Because when you cut into the pipe and oil, paraffin starts to flow, and the smoke is thick enough to cut, something is going to happen. Which you might not like. When the air and fuel gets right, the shit WILL hit the fan.

While working on Chevron S-26 as a rig welder. This meant that you welded for rig, boat and production. The S-26 was a drill tender, an old LST.
Anyway someone from service co., maybe Schlumberger. And just how in hell did they ever make that name into slumber j?? Asked me to get a ball that was hung in a packer tool out. Ok. How? Well just heat it up and the ball will fall out. Yeah, fucking right.
We were down in one of the holes on ship. I put the heat to damn thing and thick smoke started to roll. I’m thinking, yep here we go again. Sure enough when the sob went off the rubber ball hit everything in hole but me, tool hit the other bulkhead and folks were running around in there drawers, “night shift workers” trying to jump overboard..
I wasn’t asked to return later. When I told a Chevron engineer to kiss my ass I was going to bed. I’d put in 116 hrs that week.

Next time, don’t remember where. I’m sure you’ve heard about an idle mine being??
I was working around a steel fab table we had on platform. Anyway we had something like 32oz Dixie cups for Kool-Aid . An empty was setting there, so I slapped the fire off torch and slid the cup to edge of table and gave it a good shot. Then I lit the torch and touched it. Oh Hell 1 second it was there then gone and I can’t hear shit.
More folks bailing out of bunkhouse in drawers. Almost got my ass ran off about that.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #154
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We did that in the turbine hall, at Boardman, Oregon. Filled a cup with acetylene and threw lit matches at it.
When it went off, they emptied the control room.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #155
busterb
NSABFD

Ever make acetylene, see it made? The old carbide head lights made acetylene. I worked at City steel co. Jackson, MS. back in 1964 and we had an acetylene generator. I got stuck once cleaning it out and recharging with carbide.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #156
busterb
NSABFD

From Shine, Anvil shooter
"I have been advised that the crew from Sweden will be at my place at about 1 p.m. on Saturday, the 8th, to film the anvil shoot. every body welcome." Mike
Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #157
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

A more controlled technique with acetylene is to use an old plastic container - PET drink bottles are good. Pass two wires through the cap, and seal with blue-tac or putty or whatever. Connect the wires to some steel wool (inside the bottle). Fill bottle with gas, screw cap on ... stand WELL back, 12 volts should do the trick.
With long tapered bottles you can get a shape-charge effect. Mount the bottle upside down with a tennis ball on top (the non-cap end)... bye bye ball!
Ahh, for all my education, I do have an atavistic streak. Things that go BANG are FUN!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #158
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If that's a news crew, it might end up on youtube, Buster. Have fun.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #159
busterb
NSABFD

HoHo off to the flapping VA I go, again. Have a chemical stress test at 9am tomorrow.

Am to meet youngest son earlier for bkfast and BS. Maybe?

BUT, Some mumbling, Ebonics talking SOB called at 3:30, and I guess, told me no more caffeine
today and nothing by mouth after midnight. Nothing about beer though!
Below is an addendum that I mailed my Lady Dr. a few days ago. Anyone interested, I'll post parts of her scolding from 1st letter. Boy it's hard to get on same page with folks at VA. We've been talking about lowering my salt intake, so last letter from her said enclosed is a list of hi-salt foods. Not. It was a list of hi-potassium foods. Guess she doesn't understand I can find, download, and print that crap myself. Maybe I should stop jacking her around and confusing her.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #160
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Dude - You rock! Thats just hilarious.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #161
busterb
NSABFD

Same old shit. Showed up for test, then dingaling checked my records on computer and tells me can't do it today.
Because I use 4 different inhalers each day and the test meds can't be used on me because of my lung condition.
Can't some asshole check my records before hand?? WTF.
That was dipyridamole.So to use dobutamine there has to be a cardiologist on hand in case they put my lights out.
Guess what? That cunt only works on Tuesday. So another trip the 1/15/08. Fucking hell.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #162
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't you wish the government ran the whole health care system?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #163
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

yeah thats what we need - heck they did a great job with everything else.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #164
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

That sort of stupid stuff happens in any large bureaucracy, government or private.
The bigger the beast, the worse the miscommunication.

Buster, I suggest you go blow something up (harmlessly, you know, just some acetylene in your back yard or something). It wont help but it might make you feel better.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #165
glatt

Zen,
Buster shares a property line with a jail. If he goes blowing shit up back there, it might cause some excitement.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote