The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Southern Alberta Hammer-In

A couple of weekends ago my wife and I went to Canada for a knifemaking geek event. She took a bunch of pictures. Some of which are here.

I'm still trying to write up a trip report but I'm stuck wandering around the writer's block.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
casimendocina
Professor

Boring questions but who is the report for and why do you have to write it?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
And a good way around writer's block is to write something completely irrelevant.
Let us be your irrelevant draft. Just spill it out and come back to tidy it up later.
The Cellar likes that kind of reportage. Or just ignores it.
I should know.

What I have seen in the pics so far doesn't have much context for me, althouth it is interesting.
I'd just love for you to add some as I am interested in you (and by connection your partner).
If there are too many photos - which can be daunting - just give us a selection and again, that's practice if you are feeding back elsewhere.

Perry, pet, you lived in Newcastle.
You can take on the world.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
glatt

I'd like to hear more about the damascus steel. How it's done and why.

I see some sheets being spot welded, and then borax? being poured over the bunch and it being forged and pressed. And molten stuff dripping out. There are also the cross sections of the finished block, which look neat, but what do you do with that block to make a blade?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The key to Damascene steel is its impurities. There was a fascinating article in the Smithsonian years ago describing the recreation of Damascene steel.

This is a different article, but I think its worth reading.

It's a pdf.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
I just want to write it up for myself. Maybe post it to a blog I setup for smithing tales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Perry, pet, you lived in Newcastle.
You can take on the world.
I just laughed out loud. It's true. Newcastle was a very special experience...

Quote:

I see some sheets being spot welded, and then borax? being poured over the bunch and it being forged and pressed. And molten stuff dripping out. There are also the cross sections of the finished block, which look neat, but what do you do with that block to make a blade?
Thanks for the questions. They give me a jumping off point to start telling the tale.

Damascus is a big topic fraught with controversy. We don't know the real process with which it was actually made. What we make today is similar in concept. Since that's what I know, that's what I'll describe.

The main reason modern knifemakers use Damascus is artistic. Collectors will simply pay more for a Damascus knife because of the way it looks and the mythology of the material. It does have a practical advantage in that you can combine the properties of two types of metal into one blade.

More technical, less loaded terms for Damascus are pattern welded or laminated steel.

When you are planning to build a billet of Damascus, you often choose to include a steel that excels at holding an edge and one that is resilient. The part that is magic to me is that at the end of the process of making the billet (which I'll describe later), you end up with the edge-holding steel along the blade edge and the resilient/springy steel backing that up to prevent breakage under heavy abuse.

Some time I'll describe the bladesmithing Journeyman trials and you'll understand why these properties are important and how they must be balanced.

Anyway, on to forging a Damascus billet. There are as many ways to do this as there are smiths. I'm just describing one of those.

The billet I'm going to describe is (as far as I can remember) made of 15N20 and 52100. You can see the actual properties of these steels on Ed Caffrey's site. Ed is the guy forging this billet and is also the master smith who will be teaching me bladesmithing all of next week.

Thin strips of these two steels are welded together in alternating layers with the process most of you are familiar with.

This block of steel is then welded to a handle made of rebar or pipe.

The raw billet is then brought up to forge welding heat, which is around 2200 degrees Fahrenheit. It's then covered in flux (anhydrous borax, in this case). The flux helps prevent scale (impurities) from forming and being smashed into the billet while welding.

At this point the metal is about as hard as modelling clay. This soft glob of steel is then pressed in a large hydraulic press, which smashes the layers of steel together causing them to permanently and solidly weld together.

This billet is then reheated and pressed further down to a working size of about 1" x 1".

This square bar is then "re-squared." This is hard to describe. You basically press each corner so that the sides become the corners and the corners become the faces.

The welds are then ground out since they are junk and will interfere with the patterning.

That bar is then cut into several pieces and welded into another billet and then forge welded again.

Now you can see the pattern in the end of the bar.

The billet is accordion folded and flattened. This brings the pattern to the surface. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of this part.

The resulting bar is then forged down into rectangular bar stock. A common size is 1.5" x 0.25" x however long you want it to be.

That gets forged into a knife shape and then finished in a painstaking process I'll describe some other time.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

By the way. There were three smiths doing demonstrations. Together they finished this knife:

Old 07-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
glatt

Impressive! So what's that glowing liquid dripping out when it was first being heated up with flux?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Impressive! So what's that glowing liquid dripping out when it was first being heated up with flux?
That's slag. It's a combination of flux and oxides/scale.

Flux just lowers the melting point of the oxides and allows them to run off the metal. If you don't use flux and have any oxides or anything in the weld you will create cold shuts (or inclusions) which pretty much ruin your weld. Cold shuts can cause the weld to break, which in laminated steel can be pretty spectacular/dangerous.

I hear British blacksmiths must make a clean weld without flux for their master test.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Super cool! I was hoping to see the final product though. A tad disappointed.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

the last two pictures in post number six are the final product, a billet of Damascus steel.

one thing that can be done with such a billet is to make a knife, shown in the following picture.

I was not disappointed. Thank you, sir.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Fantastic! I hope I live long enough to add pattern welding to my list of skills.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
the last two pictures in post number six are the final product, a billet of Damascus steel.

one thing that can be done with such a billet is to make a knife, shown in the following picture.

I was not disappointed. Thank you, sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Fantastic! I hope I live long enough to add pattern welding to my list of skills.
I am only disappointed that I wasn't there, too.

Long live Vicarious Pleasure!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
This isn't the billet from above, but it's a really nice one by an awesome father and son team:

I wish I could afford $200 for a billet that you might get one or two knives out of. I would be too scared to touch it at this point.

Here's a completed knife by J. Nielson, who was also demonstrating at the hammer in:
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

What's the relationship between intricacy/beauty of a Damascus knife blade and the durability/strength? Are they related, like the more pretty swirly bits the better it keeps an edge? Or do they diverge at some point, with "pretty but not so functional" over in a adjacent room from "pretty but functional"?
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote