The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #151
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

As an atheist (note the lower case "a") I take the position that there is a fundamental lack in sufficiency of information upon which to make an assertion as to the nature and quantity of deity.

There's nothing out there that points to an existence of deity and you can't prove a negative.

In the face of insufficient data and an inability to prove a negative I take no position on deity.

The Atheists (note the capital "A") take the position that there is no deity. That's as indefensible a position as asserting that there is.

And as to questioning the rigor of a scientist with faith, I have no problem with a scientist believing in God. So long as "God did it!" isn't one of their premises when they're trying to harness the atom...

A good scientist can separate the two components of faith and science. Each has its place.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #152
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Second time in this thread, you can't prove a negative. What on earth does that mean????

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #153
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
Second time in this thread, you can't prove a negative. What on earth does that mean????
You can't prove God doesn't exist.

The only negative proofs are in logic.

There isn't a test or a sensor designed to test for the Big O's. You can't test for infinity, in either direction.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #154
regular.joe
Старый сержант

So, you can prove a negative. What does that have to do with a discussion of God?

Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #155
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, you can't prove a negative. Which means that the existence of GOD can't be disproved, any more than it can be proved.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #156
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I am not a dog. 2 is not equal to 4. I can prove the negative statement, with rigor. Yes, you can prove a negative.

what I'm saying is that the idea of not being able to prove a negative is not found in logic. A negative may be proven or disproved with logic. Hence "not proving a negative" has nothing to do with proving or disproving the existence of God. Which by the way is a really bad thing to debate. Discussion is nice. I kind of look at it like coke and pepsi, no commercial ever changed my mind about how coke kicks the pants off of pepsi.

I will say again, that in any system there are statements that are true that cannot be proved. I know, I'm being a stickler for accuracy in language here. I think it is important to use the proper language for the ideas being expressed.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #157
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
I am not a dog. 2 is not equal to 4. I can prove the negative statement, with rigor. Yes, you can prove a negative.

what I'm saying is that the idea of not being able to prove a negative is not found in logic. A negative may be proven or disproved with logic. Hence "not proving a negative" has nothing to do with proving or disproving the existence of God. Which by the way is a really bad thing to debate. Discussion is nice. I kind of look at it like coke and pepsi, no commercial ever changed my mind about how coke kicks the pants off of pepsi.

I will say again, that in any system there are statements that are true that cannot be proved. I know, I'm being a stickler for accuracy in language here. I think it is important to use the proper language for the ideas being expressed.
Well that's chock-o-block full of fail...

I stated clearly before, proving a negative is only possible in logic.

In an empiricist model you can only show a lack, a zero value or a positive value. There is no negative vacuum, there is no negative Stasis. You can't measure a negative value of an absolute.

And why is discussing the evidence for the existence of deity a bad thing? I quite enjoy it. God doesn't seem to have a problem with it either as I've gotten no memo otherwise.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #158
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Who says it's a bad thing to discuss?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #159
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Who says it's a bad thing to discuss?
This:

Quote:
Hence "not proving a negative" has nothing to do with proving or disproving the existence of God. Which by the way is a really bad thing to debate.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #160
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Quote:

Hey look, I can quote too.

I maintain, a negative can be proved. The statement does not belong in a discussion about the existence of God.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #161
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Hey look, I can quote too.

I maintain, a negative can be proved. The statement does not belong in a discussion about the existence of God.
Prove it.

Both assertions.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #162
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I am not a dog.
That's not a negative.
Quote:
2 is not equal to 4.
That's not a negative.

Quote:
I can prove the negative statement, with rigor. Yes, you can prove a negative.
Nope.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #163
regular.joe
Старый сержант

The first statement that you can prove a negative is true. The second statement that this does not belong in a discussion of the existance of God is my opinion.

As to the first statement:

http://departments.bloomu.edu/philos...eanegative.pdf

Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #164
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

regular.joe, I would like you to prove you have never punched a woman in the face.

You can't prove it beyond a doubt, because there is no evidence to back you up--there is only a lack of evidence that you've ever done it, and a lack of evidence doesn't prove that it never happened. This sort of scenario is what is meant by "you can't prove a negative."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #165
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Clod,

The smart guy at the University explains it much better then I can, fuck I'm just a Drill Sergeant. I recommend reading the link in my last post.