The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Historical Drama

If there was to be one major historical drama made this year, who would you want it to be about and why?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
Tornado
It's a Twistah! A Twistah!

Oooh, this is a cool question...

I wouldn't mind seeing a few...but out of all the possibilities, I'd pick John Keats. He's one of my favourite poets, and there has yet to be a major movie about his life (I think there might be one or two obscure ones lying around, I don't know). His life was so short, yet so eventful.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
DanaC

Intriguing ( and totally unexpected answer) I'd watch it. I know very little about his life...or his work.

I think I'd choose Harold Godwinson just to set the record straight and shake away the mists of Norman propoganda In the lists of Kings of England from the medieaval era Harold's name is missing. After his death ( and with him the AngloSaxon state) He is only ever recorded as Earl, even in the Domesday book. His life was fascinating but it's very difficult to find anything written about him. ...King Arthur has whole bookstores dedicated to his mythical life ....But the last Anglo Saxon king has lain all but hidden from posterity's view. ...I think it'd make a great movie, like the Lion In Winter .....

Last edited by DanaC; 05-08-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:46 AM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tornado
Oooh, this is a cool question...

I wouldn't mind seeing a few...but out of all the possibilities, I'd pick John Keats. He's one of my favourite poets, and there has yet to be a major movie about his life (I think there might be one or two obscure ones lying around, I don't know). His life was so short, yet so eventful.
I'm working on an album of music featuring the lyrics of WB Yeats...is that close enough? He was a fairly interesting guy. Sort of self-tortured and lovelorn and all.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
DanaC

oooh. That sounds interesting Elspode. Why Yeats?
Old 05-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

The full story of King David, complete with the murder, betrayal, the rape, the adultry, his son usurping his throne, him coming back exile to power again, yanking the birthright from all his older children and giving it to the son of the aldutress he married later

Awesome story. Let's just sidestep the "Historical" question and agree that it would make a hell of a drama.

-sm

edit: i spell for crap
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

I'm not sure if they've made an historical drama out of it yet, but after reading the book and seeing historical videos about it, I'd love to see one about Masada.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:46 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There are two. Both called "Masada."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356868/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081900/

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Cool. I'll have to check them out.

edit: The most recently made one is based on the book I read. I'll bet it's awesome.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Last edited by Lady Sidhe; 05-09-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
Tornado
It's a Twistah! A Twistah!

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

I'm working on an album of music featuring the lyrics of WB Yeats...is that close enough? He was a fairly interesting guy. Sort of self-tortured and lovelorn and all.
I used to really like Yeats...I still do, but Oscar Wilde recently replaced him as my favourite Irish poet.

And speaking of British Kings, I wouldn't mind a modern take on Charles I. I really like "Restoration" about Charles II, but his father needs a new bio-pic, too. The A&E miniseries "The Power and the Passion" (also about Charles II) was beautifully filmed, but the only problem was with the main character! I thought the gentleman who played Charles (Rufus someone-or-other) was too prettyboy-ish for the part, perhaps a little too young.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #11
DanaC

I'd agree with that . He has presence and gravitas but looked too young to carry off the role.
So ok, heres a question, Who would you cast as Charles 1?