The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

June 5th, 2017: Bicycle Service.

No doubt about it the face of bicycling in America is changing. It used to be kids, and weekend warriors, outside of a handful
of serious riders on and off road. But more and more dedicated bike lanes are popping up in urban areas with more people
bike commuting. Some companies encourage it and build special parking areas, especially in areas where high tech companies
are located.

As wallymart kills town after town of local businesses, and online shopping grows, bicycle shops are dropping like flies.
Another trend with Americans is everyone in the house has to work to make the monthly nut, so the proliferation of mobile
services to replace your windshield, insurance adjusting, or give you a flu shot, are welcome because they’re cheaper than
taking even a half day off.

Two guys in Vancouver, BC, decided the future was mobile bike shops, so in 2013 started a business with a van and quickly went
into franchising. Now they have almost 100 franchises over Canada and the US. Deals with bike makers to set up and deliver
bikes bought online, and sell helmets and accessories at your door.

Quote:
The franchise fee is $25,000. Operators need to purchase the Mercedes van and stock it with parts, and the head office gets an 8-per-cent royalty from gross sales. The professional look, complete with a certified mechanic wearing a Velofix work shirt, is, for better or worse, all part of the company's disruptive effect.
A couple years a go I bought a high end street bike for a friend. I bought it online because someone with knowledge warned me
to stay away from the cheap chain store bikes. They had a list of shops I could have it sent to and set up but none near where I
was taking it, so I took delivery. I took it where it was going, assembled it, then took it to a local bike shop there that set it up
and adjusted everything. It would have been convenient to have this service come to her house.

I read in some places milkmen are making a comeback. The times, they are a changing.

link