The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 10-31-2007, 01:56 AM   #106
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Why don't you bite down on it?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #107
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Please, Ali, this thread is about eating sheep. And whatever else may be true of Ms. Clark, she does walk upright.
Maybe you should try the relationships forum.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #108
ElBandito
Captain of Jelly

I have to say, she tastes like overcooked mutton...

...with a bitter, caustic sauce.
ElBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:24 PM   #109
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We can't eat sheep now. Or bacon. Gives you cancer.
Discussion over.

Quote:
A report released today recommends that people eat less red and processed meat to reduce the risk of certain cancers.

The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has spend the last five years collating information on the link between lifestyle and cancer. Its report is the most comprehensive ever published on the link between cancer and diet, physical activity and weight and includes 10 recommendations from a panel of 21 international scientists.

The report concludes that there is “convincing” evidence that red meat and processed meats such as ham, bacon, salami and sausages increase the risk of colorectal cancer. It recommends that people should limit intake of red meat and avoid processed meat altogether.

“The evidence that red meat, and particularly processed meat, is a cause of colorectal cancer is stronger now than it was in the mid-1990s,” states the report.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #110
ElBandito
Captain of Jelly

<SOAPBOX & THREADJACK>
Wow, how scared are we going to continue to be of the things that people have done for hundreds of years fine as rain. And now that suddenly Science has discovered mass-media we suddenly find out is a terrible, terrible thing?

This global village might be putting us together in some ways, but I swear it's going to result in a bunch of fat, neurotic, apathetic people stabbing their keyboards with strong opinions about why they shouldn't get off their lardy asses and do something... because it's got cancer in it!!!
</SOAPBOX & THREADJACK>

Red meat might kill me... but I'll never know. I'll be dead!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #111
Aliantha

Red meat is good meat. White meat is good meat. All meat is good meat except the meat that's spoiled meat. Then it's only good for dogs!

Did you know you can OD on water btw? I'll bet that's not good for you either.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #112
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Processed meat will do you far more harm than red meat, and [processed] is a recent diet staple.

I also know from family history as well as what I learned in history lessons that meat used to be very expensive and was eaten sparingly by the majority of the population. Back in the days when the rich ate almost exclusively meat (Tudor times for example) the life expectancy was much lower.

I posted the link pretty much as a joke, but I do believe people should eat meat in moderation. That's the key to a healthy life - everything in moderation. I wouldn't recoil from a bacon sandwich as if it was death between two slices of bread, but I am meat free 5 days out of every week - partly financial, but I feel better for it.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #113
Aliantha

You're right of course SG. A lot of people eat far more meat than their bodies need.

I agree that processed meat (and all other processed products) should be stricken from our daily diets as much as possible. I have long been a proponent for eating whole foods.

I'm with you on the bacon sandwich too. In fact, I had one the other day.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #114
ElBandito
Captain of Jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I posted the link pretty much as a joke, but I do believe people should eat meat in moderation. That's the key to a healthy life - everything in moderation. I wouldn't recoil from a bacon sandwich as if it was death between two slices of bread, but I am meat free 5 days out of every week - partly financial, but I feel better for it.
I'm a firm believer of everything in moderation, except excess.

I have children, I've bred, my genetics continue. If I die now then I'm sorted.
And if I DO die now, at least I don't have to buy them a puppy to teach them about death.

I say: BRING ON YOUR CARCINOGENIC MEATS AND YOUR HEART ATTACK INDUCING BUTTERS! I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW LARDY OVERLORDS!

All firmly tongue-in-cheek, of course.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #115
Pie
Gone and done

And I haven't bred, have no intention of breeding.

Shit. Time to go on a diet.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 PM   #116
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Them thangs're called earworms, Razza.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #117
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

One thing easily overlooked in the study connecting diet and cancer (see http://cellar.org/showthread.php?p=402465#post402465) is that:
Quote:
two-thirds of cancer cases are not thought to be related to lifestyle, and there is little people can do to prevent the disease in these circumstances.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #118
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBandito View Post
I say: BRING ON YOUR CARCINOGENIC MEATS AND YOUR HEART ATTACK INDUCING BUTTERS! I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW LARDY OVERLORDS!

I read this as I was eating lunch and almost spit my chicken breast all over the computer! :p
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #119
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have hated margarine since I was a child. I've always eaten butter, although now I choose a light version because it's available.

lose count of the amount of people who've acted surprised when I admit I have butter and cheese still in my diet when I am losing weight. Why should I have nasty things just because I'm fat? If I don't enjoy my food I won't stick to my plan after all.

I had chicken tonight (not Chicken Tonight). It was soooooooo good. Although it sticks in my conscience because I'm not eating free range at the moment. £1.20 for 400g mini fillets is difficult to resist on my budget. Green lentils tomorrow night, no guilt associated there at least.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #120
ElBandito
Captain of Jelly

Butter and cheese are better for you, imo, because they're simple fats that the body can easily deal with. Magarines, processed cheese and other chemicals are harder for your body to deal with.

And they make me constipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I read this as I was eating lunch and almost spit my chicken breast all over the computer! :p
Mmmm, breast.