FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 10-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Wolf, I love the ladybug! The bag was not too hard to make. I mean, I don't have a lot of sewing experience and I managed to pull it off, for the most part. You could incorporate your needle point projects into a bag of some type. I don't know why I am so obsessed with bags!

Bruce, I will get an upholstery needle. What did you use to make out of leather? I saw some really neat leather tooling the other day and it made me want to try that, too.
I don't have time these days, but I still use a checkbook cover and a mouse pad that I worked and dyed. I particularly like the checkbook cover because part of it is a portrait of one of our dogs who has since passed on.

I got started when I was a kid and there was a Tandy leather shop in the local mall.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #17
Tulip
Professor

Would a person need a heavy duty sewing machine to sew thick materials, such as leather, upholstery, etc.? For example, Bruce said he just gave his commercial leather machine away. I have a regular Singer sewing machine at home and that can't sew denim. I either have to hand hem my jeans or ask a friend who uses a professional all metal sewing machine. I'm not sure what kind of sewing machine Case has so I'm just wondering out loud. :p Oh, and my two cents on the needle is that I don't think Case really need an upholstery needle for the bag since it's fabric. But hey, what do I know. :p
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I don't have a fancy sewing machine...just a little Kenmore one I got as a gift from my parents many years ago. I think I could have done the edgestitch on that bag better if I had been more careful. I was at the end of the project and got excited about having done it, that I rushed through and made some errors. Perhaps if I had slowed down it would have gone better.

Do I need a different kind of sewing machine to do my bags in, say, canvas or corduroy?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
Tulip
Professor

Hmmm....I'm sorry, but I really don't know. Corduroy doesn't sound too thick to need another sewing machine while canvas may be. If you have some sample fabric, give it a shot to see. Does anyone have a definite knowledge on this? Hmm...Bruce, would you know?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, the machine's ability to adjust for thickness, and power to handle heavier needles in stiffer (harder to stab) fabrics, varies greatly even in different models of the same brand.

The best thing is talk to someone with a lot of experience on the same machine you have, which is damn near impossible, unless you can find them in a sewing forum online.

If you can find somebody local, that has experience doing what you want to do, and convince them to try it on your machine, they'd know right away if your machine is capable.

If you talk to the people that sell your machine, they might know the manufacturers recommendations for models vs materials. But just as likely, they'd try to bullshit you into buying a heavier machine.

Wouldn't hurt to plug the make/model of your machine into Google, and see what shows up.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I have to hand sew everything because the machines always break for one reason or the other. I usually try to sew up something that is broken and I end up with 2 things that are broken, when I use the machine. You obviously have more skill and patience with it. Nice bag. Please send the laptop case or cover as that sounds awesome!! lol!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #22
Juniper
I know, right?

I love the bag. I made something similar recently - I also am in love with tote bags. Also recently made two lined grocery bags patterned after those flimsy plastic ones, but I wish I'd made them bigger. I saw a website where some lady had made a bunch of grocery bags out of a sheet she got for a buck at the thrift store, thought that was an awesome idea. So far I've made the "prototype" but the rest of my thrift-store sheet is wadded up in the closet.

I love to sew. Don't have much time for it these days.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #23
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Thanks for the advice, Bruce. I don't know anyone who owns a Kenmore. The people at Sears don't even seem to remember what a sewing machine is. :P I am still trying, though. It seems to be working with canvas alright and corduroy. However, I am working on a little cosmetics bag with heavy fusible interfacing and I have broken 2 needles trying to get the zipper on the damn thing. I went out and bought some more heavy duty needles, so perhaps that will help.

I love totes, too. I was going to try the grocery bag pattern. I might have to do that, still. I want to try making a messenger bag with the corduroy, though. Hopefully I don't break the machine.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #24
Tulip
Professor

I was about to tell you to just try sew with those fabrics to see if the machine can handle it. I guess you already tried that.

Why don't you put up more pix of your finished products? We would love to see them.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #25
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I definitely will post more as I get more done. I have been stuck behind this shirt I am making and the stupid cosmetics bag that I am ready to throw away.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #26
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
I definitely will post more as I get more done. I have been stuck behind this shirt I am making and the stupid cosmetics bag that I am ready to throw away.
[has mental image of very small person trapped behind fabric items, struggling to get out]
Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #27
kerosene
Touring the facilities

That's sort of like how it feels.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #28
kerosene
Touring the facilities

So, I took Bruce's advice and got some heavier duty needles. I kept breaking the standard ones, so I thought it was time. The problem is, Joann's didn't have any needles for my machine called "apholstry", so I got ones that were designed for sewing jeans. They seem to be working well.

I have been carrying that bag around as a purse and kind of forgot about it. My friend here in town liked my black and white bag so much she told me she would buy some from me. Woohoo! So I have to make three of these. I started with this one. I finished it a couple of days ago. I made it a little differently, with stiffer interfacing in the body and no interfacing in the handles. I think I still like the original better. But this one is nice and sturdy.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #29
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

thats beautiful -
Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #30
Tulip
Professor

I like this second bag! Maybe it's the pattern or it's the color, or both! Hehe....don't know why but I really like it.

Glad you found the needles that work.