Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #61
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Depends how much. Uncooked rice is 150 cals per 1/4 cup and generally doubles, so one "serving" of rice is generally 300 cals or 6 pts. The chicken is apx 1 pt per ounce so maybe 4. These veggies are free and I don't know about edemame at all.
If I remember correctly - Edemame are 1 point. (Soybeans)

And good to get that 'crunch' you crave sometimes.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #62
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Cottage chs does good. 1 pt for 2 oz, 2 pts banana, 1 pt cream. That's a WW breakfast! The cheese will keep you until lunch.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #63
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

BIG BURRITO FOR LUNCH.

i'm a sucker for mexican. two fist sized. chicken, cheese, brown rice, sour cream, chicken, pintos, tomato, chilli peppers. uffff

i have chips and guac for later, too. yummy. guac is what ....50 or 60 points a spoon?

i may have to go back on atkins. i like the no wheat idea, tho. makes sense to me.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #64
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah that's basically your whole day right there. I'm gonna guess 30 points the lot and there's just no excuse for the snacks. In a way you set yourself up with the breakfast. This is the hardest thing in the goddamn world, that's why I go for the weigh-in every week, and pay my money, because otherwise I can't do it.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #65
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I find that I feel better if I avoid white flour foods and opt for the wheat vari,eties of things instead - it's nice that brown rice, whole wheat pasta and the like are a lot easier to find now.

That said - Dinner last night:
Baked chicken coated in Heart Smart Bisquick
Supermac & cheese - whole grain pasta, I only had a half a serving
lots of steamed green beans - they were super good!

Dessert - cookies and ice cream - I shared!

Breakfast:
Special K, yogurt and a diet pepsi.

I'll eat lunch here in a bit - not sure what - there is this great bakery right down the street.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #66
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

I've been seriously tossing around the idea that I have an eating disorder. I'm not bulimic or anorexic… I don’t know what to call it. I hide my food. I eat in my car when driving to or from work. Usually icky fast food which makes me feel sick afterwards. I’ll eat snacks at my desk but keep them in the drawer where nobody can see. I have a stash of goodies hidden in the bottom of our pantry at home. I think that’s about it.

I’d love to post all my “meals” here… Maybe it will help me to THINK before I eat.

So far today: one cup instant orange cappuccino and a peanut butter Power Bar.

My weight was 128# last weekend. I’ll re-weigh tonight. And I GOTTA get some exercise!

Thank you for starting this thread.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #67
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Someone has to explain to me why flour, something mankind has consumed for thousands of years, is suddenly off-limits. Same with sugar. I'm going to continue baking bread and enjoying it.
Kit, not everybody has the same metabolism. You may not have a problem with wheat, but billions of people worldwide do. It is just plain not digestible compared to many other things like potatoes and rice. It really causes you to "pack on" the insulation, something which might have once been desirable in some climates and economic conditions. The reason wheat is such a pervasive part of the American diet is found in history. The grain of the Bible and of Egypt was NOT our wheat. What they called "corn" (sometimes translated in contemporary texts as "wheat") in those days was a wild grain common in the hot middle east. Wheat is a COLD climate grain, and it became popular in such northern climates as England. When this country was colonized, they brought the wheat with them, it grows great in the northern Midwest as we all know. We also know that nowdays it is a bleached and adulterated product in many cases and is used as a cheap filler in many processed or frozen ready-to-eat products. In other words, it's not the whole-grain wheat which is evil, it's what we have done with it and how we use it in our foods.

Americans had also tried to introduce wheat into indigenous diets as a substitute for corn. Especially in Mexico, where corn tortillas were a staple of life, there has been a great campaign to switch to flour tortillas (wheat) on the logic that is it more nutritious. But the fact is that the epidemic of obesity - worldwide - did not exist until the switch to processed American-type foods, many of which contained wheat flour, began in the 20th century. Many native tribes were characterized in folk art as having plump women, this is true, but it was a symbol of prosperity and not bad diet. Now the wide availability of junk food, made from wheat flour and sugar, has turned all ages and both sexes even in the poorest countries into walking bowling balls. It is obvious that these people do not have MORE to eat nowdays and that is why they are becoming fat, it's that they have easy access to the WRONG things to eat, namely wheat and sugar.

I am not a chemist and can't explain to you with charts and diagrams why this happens inside the human body, and why it happens to some people more than others. I can only say that in many people these two food elements are a deadly combination. Take them out of your diet, and, all other things being equal, you will lose weight. Although potato chips and avocado dip would be allowable under such a regimen, and fried chicken too provided you did not bread the meat with flour (so no KFC), we have to hope that a person is not so mentally unbalanced that this is all they would eat. Somewhere a brain has be be involved in any diet. If you sit on your ass in front of a TV during every waking hour, stuffing your face with all the foods which do not contain flour or sugar, would you honestly claim you were trying to lose weight? Yes, exercise, even if you only walk 5 blocks a day to and from the bus or across the campus. But eating the best foods for your body to process also makes exercise easier and more pleasant.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #68
chainsaw

Lunch today I drove right past Taco Bell and to the Italian deli by my office. I had a sandwich - sourdough bread (less bread than the giant Italian roll), swiss cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion. sour cream & cheddar Ruffles (I was GONNA get baked Lays, but they only had "original" flavor They're just weird). And a Diet Arizona Green Tea, also I HATE diet drinks. I'll just have water or make my own tea from now on.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #69
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Am beginning to see my down fall pattern: I wait tooooo long to eat, feel dizzy and sick and like I must eat RIGHT NOW then stuff myself with inappropriate junk like white bread, pasta, dairy. Must not have these hypoglycemic moments. Must plan.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm a carb addict.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Some of the pain of dieting is considering it a self-punishment. Or viewing it in a negative sort of way -- saying that you're NOT ALLOWED to have something, or that you're DENYING yourself things, or that you're TOO FAT TO EAT THIS FOOD, or etc...

It's all a bundle of negativity, and when you fail that's another dose of negativity. It's a self image thing and by the time you rationalize that you suck, it doesn't matter if you eat too much. The only thing that you know makes you feel good, is to eat the second half of that hoagie.

But there is a fact that you can't deny: when dieting, you're being GOOD to yourself. You're feeding yourself the right way, doing a positive thing, and all the negativity swirling around the situation is just a bunch of nonsense, so meaningless compared to the actual reality of living better.

Some people are motivated by goals and stuff, enh not me so much. Although the weekly weigh-in number becomes very motivational. You know what really motivates me right now? I want to be good in the sack.

It's one of those life things I guess - man before I was divorced this was not a big motivator. At all, I mean like I pretty much wrote it off. But J and I, well, we get it done. Now I'm not sayin' I lack right now, you could ask her. But I know that if I didn't have this big tire around my waist, I could really get 'er done, and not be all huffin' and puffin' myself.

Oh OK I'm only half serious. Maybe three-quarters serious. And hey maybe being more fit for my babe is part of the equation too. But my point is, if'n I could really get 'er done, that would be waaaaay better than eating the other half of that hoagie, you know?

Just have to remember that when I finish the first half of it. You know - the whole decision-making process is hard and when lunchtime comes around, you don't want to sit there and fidget with yourself trying to remember the whole argument in order to make the right decision. But if you simplify, and say hey, if I don't eat the whole thing I'ma get laid out of my skull, well then you're playing basic fundamental human needs against one another.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #71
chainsaw

VERY well said, UT! That motivates me a LOT. I long for the day I can wear some pretty lingerie (or not) and not be uncomfortable.

Ok, dinner. I made taco salad. Ground turkey (because it's lean and I'm not a big beef eater anyway) cooked with a taco seasoning packet (lots of sodium, must remember to get the low sodium kind next time), kidney beans, cheese, tons of lettuce, sour cream, avocado, tomato, salsa and a few Fritos on top. *burrrp* Wow, that was good. Oh, and a glass of OJ.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #72
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

2 or 3 oz of turkey lunchmeat, 2 pickle spears, handful of mixed nuts and a fig newton for dinner.

oh, and i gave most of my chips and guac to the secretaries.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #73
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

breakfast: 2 oz cottage cheese, 2%; 1 banana; coffe w/ cream

lunch: taco salad(ground beef, tomato, sour cream, hot sauce, lettuce, cheese, 1 egg, cukes)

i'm going to work on eating slower and stopping before i'm full. i have a compulsion to clean my plate. i believe this is childhood based, irrational behavior. i always feel shitty after i stuff myself, but i do it a lot.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #74
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

The mentality of the "clean plate" is hard to break. I tend to eat a lot slower now than I used to, I tend to talk more during meals too, so that slows me down. Now if I eat with people who talk a lot, I'm always done first.

Since today is Friday, I feel that I do not need to divulge anything - lol.

Hopefully I'll ingest some good liquids today.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 PM   #75
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

caved in and had 2 pieces of pizza for dinner. a few pickle spears for a late night snack.

Brianna? are you still with me?