The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Tiki

Oops, I see Shawnee already said it... I should have read the whole thread first!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
My grandfather's philosophy was that every used car on the market is on the market because the previous owner thought there was something wrong with it and didn't want it any more. Why would you buy a car from someone when they don't want it any more?

I don't completely agree with his philosophy, but he has a good point. You just have to figure out what is "wrong" with the used car you are buying and if that "wrong" thing is something you can live with. But every used car has something "wrong" with it from the perspective of the previous owner.
In general I would agree, especially with the cars that are 4 or 5 years old, enough for problems to start kicking in. But you'll often find cars on the lot that are only 1 or 2 years old, because it was a lease and the person just decided not to renew. (The whole concept of leasing a new car seems insanely foolish to me, but hey, I appreciate that other people do it I guess.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #18
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Can anyone explain this?
I've been driving shitty used cars my whole life... eventually, inevitably starting down the road of throwing countless dollars down an endless pit (how long do you keep getting it fixed, how soon before you roll it off a cliff and get another?), periodically at the mercy of some unknown, untrusted mechanic, periodically wondering whether the former owner knew full well about the mechanical issues and that's why he sold it (and simultaneously pondering the ethics of doing the same thing to the next guy). I've had quite enough of that. I have other things to worry about.

My latest purchase is a brand-new Honda, fresh from the factory. I will have every service done at the dealership where it was purchased, thus removing all complexity from the equation. I will drive this vehicle for many, many, many years to come. I will get every last use out of this vehicle. My kids will drive it. When it stops moving, I will scavenge it for parts. Then I will scavenge it for scrap metal.

The way I see it you have two choices in life, with all purchases: buy a series of cheap, shitty, ten dollar items which last a month, so that you spend $120 a year, or buy ONE good $50 item which lasts ten years. In this example, you save $1150 over ten years by spending "more" for a good product.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

A Honda doesn't need to be brand new to be a great purchase. One or two years old, same car pretty much. You've lost your 1150 just driving it off the lot.

But yeah, hondas will run forever.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #20
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You can probably expect the car to cost you about $1500 on average a year in maintenance costs from now on. But $1500 a year for a car is a bargain. That's $125 a month. You can't get any new car for that kind of money. Buying a new car is about wanting that new car smell, not about good financial sense. It's virtually always better to keep an old car running than to buy a new one.
I thought this until I realized that I had spent more than the value of the entire vehicle on repairs on said vehicle. Essentially, I could have bought a whole "new" used vehicle with all that repair money. But, what would be wrong with that one? More money spent. How much money does one spend on a series of old, shitty vehicles before just STOPPING that whole process and getting ONE good, NEW vehicle?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #21
Clodfobble

Nothing, as long as you realize you won't actually drive it forever like you say you will. In about 8-10 years, it's going to be that same shitty used car, needing repairs every month, just as if you'd bought it from someone else. But I fully agree, at some point the repairs become a losing game.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #22
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
A Honda doesn't need to be brand new to be a great purchase.
Maybe.
Quote:
One or two years old, same car pretty much.
Maybe. Or maybe not.
Quote:
You've lost your 1150 just driving it off the lot.
Maybe. Or maybe I have to spend more than $1150 in repairs. You know what? I don't have the time or patience to have my transportation be a freaking roulette spin every time I turn the key. I need my vehicle to reliably transport me to work so I can earn money, every day. Hoping that it will probably run pretty good :::fingers crossed::: is not good enough.

Maybe that previous owner, that nice older gentlemen, had a crackhead grandson who snuck the thing out and drove around in first gear all day. Who knows? "Good" cars aren't immune to shitty owners/borrowers.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Nothing, as long as you realize you won't actually drive it forever like you say you will. In about 8-10 years, it's going to be that same shitty used car ...
Wrong. It will be a well-kept, well-maintained older vehicle. I will know the history of any issues it has ever had. I will have the information to make those decisions.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #24
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Maybe. Or maybe I have to spend more than $1150 in repairs. You know what? I don't have the time or patience to have my transportation be a freaking roulette spin every time I turn the key. I need my vehicle to reliably transport me to work so I can earn money, every day. Hoping that it will probably run pretty good :::fingers crossed::: is not good enough.
I hear ya brother. My vehicle is killing me, but I can't seem to make myself be ready to take the plunge of a car payment, and the looking for a car, and the deciding on the car, and the haggling over the car (for which my sis-in-law will be in tow because I'd just say "Oh, it costs that? OK") and all of that.

I also see the point that you don't have a clue how the previous owner drove it, and seemingly good parts could be on the edge...with carfax you can find some things out, but not everything.

I don't know. I've also looked at the Honda Fit, which would have to be new, but I also know I will drive it until it dies, like I do every car.

Heh, when my last Honda died, I called my mechanic to find out the verdict. His office manager was like "Um, hang on, let me get Mark." It was like she was getting the doctor to deliver the news. Mark was like "Oh, man, I hate to tell you this (Shawnee) but it's bad..." He knew I loved that thing.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #25
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I thought this until I realized that I had spent more than the value of the entire vehicle on repairs on said vehicle. Essentially, I could have bought a whole "new" used vehicle with all that repair money. But, what would be wrong with that one? More money spent. How much money does one spend on a series of old, shitty vehicles before just STOPPING that whole process and getting ONE good, NEW vehicle?
But... new vehicles need quite a bit of money in annual maintenance as well, and on top of that you have a big car payment. I'm skeptical.. but then, I'm on my second car, I'm 38, and I bought the thing for $500 and then put about $2k into getting it as perfect as an older car can be. So, $2500, and I'm in the same boat in terms of knowing exactly what's been wrong with it, because I basically had it rebuilt. Then, no car payments, $400/year insurance, about $100/month in maintenance over the last eight years, and it's just now needing major repair, and I'm thinking about getting a newer model... mostly because the interior door panels are starting to fall apart, and you can't buy them new anymore.

Last edited by Tiki; 05-21-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Nothing, as long as you realize you won't actually drive it forever like you say you will. In about 8-10 years, it's going to be that same shitty used car, needing repairs every month, just as if you'd bought it from someone else. But I fully agree, at some point the repairs become a losing game.
We had our Accord for 22yrs. It was a wonderful reliable car for most of that time. Even at the end we only had to have major work done every year or so.

We only gave it away when I was worried about the darlets driving it.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #27
where are the fnords
Disorderly Orderly

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
what kind of a car is it specifically, and what do you owe......
08 Hyundai accent (good as new except the passanger door is a bit beat up)
11,853.59 (@13.5APR) about 335 monthy payment
ten year warrenty was the seller,
i never even changed the oil myself
(tho in my defence, she drives it more then i do)

Quote:
and did you buy gap insurance?
misses says yes, but all i remember is the unemployment coverage

Last edited by where are the fnords; 05-21-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: THERE IS A GAP
where are the fnords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #28
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by where are the fnords
(@13.5APR)
Hay-zeus Creesto. I forget what it's like to have questionable credit.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #29
jinx
Come on, cat.

We bought new because the 0% interest rate made the payment the same as what a used (2yr old off lease) one would go for.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #30
where are the fnords
Disorderly Orderly

yeah i have a bad habbit of not paying doctor bills.