The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #46
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
In four years you'll be able to pay the cost of a one year permit for a spot in front of the Met. See post above
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._dog_du-3.html

That spot is worth more than the $326k they paid. But for that kind of money, they should have exclusive rights. I believe the one who paid for the right to the spot should have exclusive access. It probably makes close to that amount of money every year.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #47
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

In Florida they have a place called "Ham Heaven & Devil Dogs". I'm not sure if a hot dog cart named "Devil Dogs" would be considered an infringement on this name.

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...s.941-923-2514

What do you guys think is best? Horn Dogs? or Devil Dogs?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
monster
I hear them call the tide

I never thought i's say this, but... you rock
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #49
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
That spot is worth more than the $326k they paid. But for that kind of money, they should have exclusive rights. I believe the one who paid for the right to the spot should have exclusive access. It probably makes close to that amount of money every year.
You'd think so, but there are about 5 or 6 carts there. The regular dogs are 2.00 and the giant ones are 3.00 as I recall. Sodas are 1.50, chips 1.25.

I'm usually there on rainy or cold days when business is slow. Sunny, warm, summer, lunch, I bet it's insane. Still, that's a lot of dogs... Next time I'm there I'll make some photos of the carts.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #50
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Those are cheap dogs for NYC. My guess is they are that cheap because there are so many carts. If there were a single cart there, you can bet you wouldn't get a dog for less than $6
Old 02-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #51
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
I thought of it as paying for one guy's overpriced hosting.
Or underpriced, royalty-free business ideas.

Why am I having deja-vu?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #52
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
if the business takes off, I'll pay 1 full month of costs for the site.
So noted in the logs
Quote:
While I doubt I'll find a shiny hot dog cart, you've talked me into making a small donation from what little money we have right now. Done.
Brrrrr its cold down here
Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #53
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

If I go with "Devil Dogs" I could use a graphic of a hot dog with horns, a pitch fork, and a goatee saying "They're sinfully good!" or "Eat Me!"

On the menu I can have some specials like

Double D - 2 Regular Dogs, Chips & A drink - $6.25

Red Hot - Spicy Polish Dog, Chips & A Drink - $5.00

Angry German - Bratwurst, Sour Kraut, and Deli Mustard, Chips & A Drink - $6

Flaming Mexican...aka Latin Explosion...aka Jot Dog - Jumbo Dog w/ Jalapenos & Nacho Cheese, Chips & A Drink - $5.25

you get the idea....

I could challenge "Hot Dog Heaven" to a taste contest every year or sponsor a dog eating contest like Nathans.

It would be good business for us both.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #54
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

How about "Satan's Weiner"?

j/k...I like Devil Dogs.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #55
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
No, the cart operator justs sit on his buns all day.
Well, Radar wouldn't want to rest on his laurels now would he?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #56
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

A friendly mascot dog would be more flexible for branding. You could have an entire family with specials that duplicate the 3 Bears sort of thing: Daddy Dog is a big combo, Mommy Dog smaller, down to the Puppy which is just a hot dog. Some people think hot dogs are summer fun food. Me? Not so much. Not ever, no never, would I eat off a cart. That said, Legal Seafood has a nice history to their name and perhaps something along those lines could convince the cautious among us to try one. Good Dogs?
There are a couple of ideas tickling my imagination but I have a bad cold and can't think things through. If I recover soon enough then I'll send some sketches.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #57
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Sweet makes a good point re: branding. Who is you audience? bible belt families or girls gone wild on spring break? The devil might appeal more to the latter sensibility.

Yeah food in nyc as a rule is much cheaper than anywhere else. Leaving out the ultra fancy places. There is a ton of competition and an enormous distribution network. The volume can't be matched.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #58
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

It's a hot dog with horns. I doubt even the most whacko Christian zealot would be put off with the name.

I actually lightened it up.

I was considering calling the Angry German the Hitler, and offering Italian Sausage & Peppers and calling it the Mussolini with other combos named after other famous residents of hell. Perhaps one named after Jesse Helms.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #59
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Hey Radar,

I'd like to make a few suggestions as someone that makes regular moves, often 1000 miles or so away, every year. Most of the time to completely unfamiliar places not knowing one single person there.

1. You spearhead your dream business venture. You go down to FL yourself, alone. Make a pact that you'll go there first for some specified period of time ( say a month ) and get on the ground information that you'll need to get this thing going.

Keep your mind thinking about all the tangent issues that will affect your business while you're there. There are the obvious details and the not so obvious details. Be a sponge of everything going on there, even those things that you don't believe will be of value at the moment.

"Game" the situation in your mind every few days. What if this, what if that. How might this help, what might hurt my business?

Go there and do the doing. Don't go and look around. You want to make a real go at this, then get your gear prepped and go sell them. Don't wait for everything to be perfect, test this area and that area. Look for anyone selling dogs or anything similar that you might learn from.

Don't wait for everything to be completely set up before you start. Can't start without a license? Fine. Then find a place to push the cart empty as a test to see how many people seem interested. Minimize your risk.

Do your test marketing in different areas. You want to experience what it's like to do this business? You want to see the potential pitfalls before it costs you real money? Then pick a spot away from your intended target area and practice where it wont hurt you.

Have some little thing to sell besides dogs and tell those people that approach you and your doggie cart " Oh, I'm sorry, all out of dogs at the moment, would you like a Coke?"

Keep track of every variable and log it. Study everything before you go live. Even people that might be kicking you out of any given area will be a learning experience for you and will yield some informational benefit.

Worst case if you get into confict with the local law enforcement, you explain you're from Cali and just got laid off. Have a few pics of your wife and LOTS of pics of your baby girl.

"Just trying to keep my wife and kids from starving Sir. Life is rough in Cali nowdays."

Other vendors might think you're a jackass and kick you out of their area but you most likely will not get into any real trouble.

If that happens try to conceal that combative side of yourself. Just leave while learning what you can.

2. Transportation. Drive to Florida. Don't fly. You will need a car or truck to haul your gear around. If you have an older car, take the passenger seat out and put it somewhere safe. You can install it later. What you need is something very common looking that you can haul your equipment around in that doesn't scream "I'm a business!"

Disassemble the cart to fit where the death seat used to be. If you want to do this with the least risk you don't need a fancy car and looking pathetic can work in your favor.

Drive the car to Florida and sleep during the day at the rest stops. It'll save you money and you'll be uncomfortable but safe. Driving at night is more efficient and you wont have to protect your dog cart from people that might believe it's something they might take to the pawn shop for some cash.

As you drive the long journey you'll have plenty of time to think. You'll also be uncomfortable. That's a part of the benefit. Comfort comes later. Now is the time for the work and the cheap living.

Once you arrive in your target area, maybe staying with a relative or friend start observing. Don't worry about what you look like with a dog cart in your car, you can push the cart far away from the car when you are selling in live mode.

If the cart fits in your car your chances of success are much greater because you can do that completely independantly without hassling anyone else with YOUR dream business.

People might laugh at first but when your biz takes off you can politely tell them to go eff themselves.

This will also test your resolve.

"I look like a complete jackass with a dog cart in my car. Passing motorists look at me cautiously out of the corner of their eye. Am I crazy for even doing this?"

If the answer is yes at the moment you can pack it all in and head back home. It's a long drive so it wont be something you can do quickly in a weak moment.

Call your wife and baby every few days while your spearheading your dream biz. When you have a good day, call and let your wife hear in your voice that it's going to work. That it is in fact working. Don't tell her in words, let her hear it in your voice. When you're having a bad day don't call.

The best evidence of success will be the fistfulls of cash you'll be bringing back. Until that money materializes you will be your own cheering squad. Do not underestimate the importance of keeping your morale up on your own.

At the end of your "setup" period you'll either have made money or kept the experiment from costing you a small fotune. Either case you can keep the respect of your wife ( if that matters to you ).

And, at the end of this entire trip you will have learned enough to make moving your wife and baby there much easier. If you do move there you will have a great deal of confidence of making this work. Most of the guesswork you will have already dealt with.

So, while I do believe that this is a terrible time personally to try something like this I do realize that there are many people, like you, that may actually be able to make this work.

A few years ago a friend told me about this really cool biz that he was getting into and is doing well at it now. I would never have guessed that he would. I do know that I personally could not have.

Hopefully you will find something of value in this and I wish you the best of luck.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #60
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and insightful advice Slang.

I've moved more than most people ever will. I probably moved more than 20 times before I was 21. A couple of those moves were coast to coast...well almost; New York to California and Las Vegas to New Orleans. I drove from Las Vegas to New Orleans in 26 hours without stopping. I was young and stupid and would never do this again. I was in a pickup truck with most of my worldly goods loaded in the back and I thought if I stopped to sleep at a rest stop, the truck would be empty before I woke up.

I don't have the cart yet. I planned on getting one in Orlando. The best one I've seen is manufactured there and isn't as expensive as those made in California. This eliminates the need to tow it there. Any dog cart would be WAY to big to fit into my car.

Like you suggested, I planned to go ahead of my wife and daughter so I can leave them here with her family members for support. I will stay with my aunt Linda and uncle Manny. Uncle Manny has a dog cart that he runs in Florida for extra retirement money the government doesn't know about. Hot dog money = cash.

Uncle Manny only runs the cart 2 or 3 days a week. My plan was to work the cart with him for awhile until I feel comfortable, then work his cart on the days he normally doesn't and split the money with him. Then when I really felt that I have the business down from scoping out locations, to doing prep work in the morning, making really good dogs, sausages, brats, etc. to doing cleanup and storage at night, I'd go ahead and buy my own cart.

My dad will probably go there with me if possible.

While in Ocala, we'll take fairly frequent trips to Orlando to check out spots for the business, and places to live. He'd also be looking for work in Orlando. He's a maintenance mechanic and electrician. Maybe Disney needs someone like that. They don't tend to pay well though.

I figure I'd be there 2 or 3 months before we really get settled with an apartment. Then I'll bring my wife over. She'll have no problem getting work at nail salons. I will stay in an apartment for 6 months or so until I feel really confident in the business and acclimated to the area.

Then we'd buy a cheap house for cash (less than $80k which isn't tough in Florida) or put a very large down payment on a house so our payments are next to nothing.

I've already spoken to uncle Manny about the licenses and permits required and they're not tough at all. I've been reading books and listening to CD's put out by people who run hot dog businesses with tips and suggestions and what to expect.

My wife isn't confident in the hot dog thing, but once she sees the money, she'll be on board. Last year I worked with my wife to pay off all credit cards, student loans, personal loans, and our car. We are debt free. I intend to stay that way.

The good news is since we have no payments, our cost of living will be very cheap and we'll be able to swing the bills without much problem, especially if we've got 3 working adults in the house since my dad will be staying with us.

The bad news is this is going to KILL my mother. She will accuse me of doing it to hurt her. In the end, I've got to take care of my family and that's more important than staying in a state where I can't make it just to make her happy. If I could afford it, I'd take her with me....though my mom and dad can't be near each other without blood.

Since I'll be starting off with uncle Manny's cart and using his licenses, I won't have any problem with Johnny law. Uncle Manny says he'll take me by city hall to get a map of all the zoning so I know where I can setup. Then I'll tour those areas and look for what I believe is the best spot and get to work.

I appreciate you taking the time to make such a detailed post and it's got a lot of really great advice. We think alike more than you think...which might frighten you.

-Radar

P.S. - Thanks for the luck, I'll need it.