The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-21-2003, 10:16 PM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, I don't have anything going on that's more important. not even close. With you 100%, man. How's your new boss taking all this? I'm sure you must be showing the strain.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:18 PM   #47
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

If there is anything I can do for you besides consistant positive vibe transfer, let me know immediately. I think that goes for all of us, really. If I can do it or give it, it's yours.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #48
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Well, I don't have anything going on that's more important. not even close. With you 100%, man. How's your new boss taking all this? I'm sure you must be showing the strain.
Last Monday, I came in unshaven, having forgotten to take a razor to the hospital with me. Nothing was said one way or the other, but I made sure to buy a razor at lunch and get shaved.

He's made it pretty clear that he doesn't need another staff member with family problems that distract from the job at hand. He hired me in hopes of crafting a more professional staff, and so all this is really badly timed for me. However, I'm still giving it my all, and the only thing I've had to do so far is to leave three hours early last Friday to meet with the doctor when Steve first started having big problems. I eat lunch at my desk while working over lunch hour, so that is already made up +2 hours.

My boss told me Friday that I was doing a good job and he was pleased so far. I take that to mean that I'm doing what I need to do at work, and that I'm keeping my personal life out of it. This is what I intend to continue to do, as long as my strength holds.

This is a short week. I'll make it. Spending nights at the hospital in a rather hard reclining chair with wooden arms does not leave one feeling refreshed and ready for the fray, and I'll be spending Monday and Tuesday nights in that chair (Wednesday night as well, but I won't have to go to work on Thursday, obviously).

Thanks to all of you once again. OC, your thoughts and energies are the best thing you can offer me. I doubt very much you are able to fly to KC and supervise my teenagers in cleaning house while my wife sits with Steve on Tuesday and Wednesday daytime, but I know you would if you could! Other than that, we're in good shape. We had our coven open Yule this afternoon, and people literally inundated us with food. We won't have to cook anything for at least a week, so that's another blessing.

It was a very emotional ceremony today. I'm so fragged and tired, plus I left my antidepressants and other meds at work on Friday, and I think I'm starting to feel the lack. I'm headed for bed now. Hopefully, I'll be able to dial out from his room on my laptop, and stay in touch. Plus, he wants to IM some of his online pals, and I'd like for him to be able to do that. He needs something to take his mind off of his problems.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:15 AM   #49
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Sorry to hear about the set-back, Els. My vibes are still being sent your way. I know you're stressed, tired, worried, and probably a little out of it, but please don't forget your meds at work again. At times like this, it's not a good idea to skip, even a day. I know if I forget mine, I start to feel it by evening time. I know it's hard right now, but try to get as much sleep as you can and don't forget to eat regularly. You need to take care of yourself and your body so you can continue to be strong for Steve. Hang tough, Els.

Mama Loves You Baby Girl ~ May You Rest In Peace
LUVBUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:02 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Glad your boss is being cool. Hang it there man, you'll be OK.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #51
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

life is a bumpy road, i'm proof. hang in there keep the ol' chin up and as always, i'm keeping you and steve in my thoughts and sending my good vibes kc-bound! shoot, if i wasn't out on my medical for flying (and low on funds), i'd air taxi a few cellarites up your way! (sans guns of course:p )

Last edited by plthijinx; 12-22-2003 at 08:02 PM.
plthijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:01 PM   #52
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Have you thought about buying one of those air bed things?

Once again I send hearty accolades for your caring for you son. My father went on a vacation while I was on the operating table (appendicitis) and I have never forgotten it. Conversely you son will never forget your vigil, and neither will you for that matter. Many good vibes coming your way.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:12 PM   #53
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

whew that'd be a long flight!

from duats.com (flight planner for pilots)

(this was to philly to get the cellarites per NBN's verbals, my pc's out so i'm over here bugging him ....)

NOTE: fuel calculations do not include required reserves.
Flight totals: fuel: 90 gallons, time: 7:32, distance 1175.2 nm.
Average groundspeed 156 knots.
Flight Planning System Copyright (C) 1991-2003 Enflight.com.
All rights reserved.

isoluble, are you thinking of angel flight perhaps? one of many organizations out there to help people in need. i have done a few flights for them myself and it's very rewarding!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:18 PM   #54
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

My thoughts and energy are with you and Steve hon. And ask the teenagers to set up a video camera and I will supervise the cleaning. Just ask our kids - they hate me when I supervise.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:20 AM   #55
Elspode

Yesterday evening, the doc incised Steve's breast area and pulled the distal end of the shunt tubing out of his peritoneum. He is now draining the CSF into a reservoir and measuring the output every two hours. The shunt is apparently working exactly as it should, because Steve is doing everything but tap dancing today. No headache, he has memory, eating like a horse, watching TV and bemoaning being stuck in hospital over Xmas!

The infection is rapidly having its ass kicked, and as such, he no longer resembles a certain spinach-eating Max Fleischer cartoon character. The doctor stated this evening that he would definitely be removing the existing revised shunt and putting a new system on the other side of his head. Apparently, there was something obstructing the abdominal drain tube, despite all imaging appearances and even what was indicated by manually flowing fluid through it. Whaddya gonna do? It works outside of the body, but not inside, and you can't put the existing tube back once it is out.

If everything stays copacetic and according to plan, we should be able to get him home in time for New Year! In the meantime, I ask you to keep consciously sending out those energies, prayers and good vibes. They work. They absolutely do work.

Oh, and BTW, because of the infection, they moved Steve into a private room, which is actually a two bed room with only one bed in it, meaning that I have a free phone line and extra TV, plus lots of room to spread out in while staying with him. Therefore, the laptop is here, and I feel much less confined. So does he, as he was able to check his email and do a little MSN chatting this evening. Freaked the doctor out when he came in and saw him sitting up in bed typing, so dramatic was the turnaround from his condition yesterday.

Last edited by Elspode; 12-23-2003 at 12:49 AM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:23 AM   #56
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Let's hope he continues to freak the doctors out, in a good way, of course!

Blessings and continued healings. May he find strength and recovery in this time of the New Fire.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:49 AM   #57
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Good news, Els. Just curious, when would they put in the new shunt?

Old 12-23-2003, 01:12 PM   #58
Elspode

Friday morning, we think.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:15 PM   #59
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

I hope that goes well. Keep up your spirits. I'm still sending good vibes to you and Steve.

Old 12-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #60
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Quote:
Originally posted by plthijinx

isoluble, are you thinking of angel flight perhaps? one of many organizations out there to help people in need. i have done a few flights for them myself and it's very rewarding!
what??
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote