The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
Beest
Adapt and Survive

About a year ago ordered some cheap yellow lens glasses fro winter driving, but they came from China on the slow boat and didn't arrive until after the snow had gone.

I tried them at night and they made a bit of difference but not much,
they were great in the rain on the highway with all the spray.

and today I got to try them in the blowing snow, they were very helpful, made things clearer and less eye strain.

Last edited by Beest; 01-12-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
"Yellow 'Night Driving' lenses have been shown to provide no benefit in seeing ability at night. They are even hazardous, because they give the driver a feeling of seeing better, which no one has yet been able to explain. Studies have shown that they actually impair visual performance and retard glare recovery. Many promoters have made unfounded claims for the ability of amber to improve night vision. They have employed mass solicitation, usually by mail. The Federal Trade Commission has correctly ruled that such practices are illegal since the lenses do not perform as claimed." - Forensic Aspects of Vision and Highway Safety", Merrill J. Allen, O.D., Ph.D., Et al.
From http://www.laramyk.com/resources/edu...iving-glasses/

Why would feel you can see better if you can't.

Surely the perception that you can see better, means you are perceiving better.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #18
glatt

Don't know if they still do, but French cars used to have yellow headlights for presumably the same reason.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Don't know if they still do, but French cars used to have yellow headlights for presumably the same reason.
I thought it was to keep the bugs away. hahaha

I understand the point of yellow and amber lenses is to filter out the portions of the blue spectrum which doesn't do it for us humans (spexx, weigh in here?) and they are mostly effective at twilight or on overcast days.

I'm thinking overcast days must have more blue light (higher color temp. I'll look that up) and by filtering it out things seems brighter because we see blue light as darker?

maybe?

They increase the contrast and that alone takes strain off the eyes. In B&W photography those color lenses help to render the sky a darker shade of gray since B&W film is somewhat more blue sensitive than our eyes.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #20
glatt

I have much more trouble reading blue signs at night. They are noticeably more blurry to me.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #21
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Leaving the discussion of color aside, polarized lenses really can make dramatic improvement by reducing the glare from the wet roads.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #22
glatt

Agreed. Polarized lenses are amazing.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
monster
I hear them call the tide

All my sunglasses are polarized. Makes such a difference
Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
busterb
NSABFD

We'll no glasses at walmart, fred's and 2 welding supplies. Next check is a truck stop. Damn I hate to go to eye Dr. and pay big bucks for something that may not work.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Hold up. Pm me your address. I've got a pair I can send you

I kept your Christmas card, but can't find the envelope
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #26
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Nevermind. I found it in a PM from Feb 2009. Hope you haven't moved since
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #27
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I thought it was to keep the bugs away. hahaha

I understand the point of yellow and amber lenses is to filter out the portions of the blue spectrum which doesn't do it for us humans (spexx, weigh in here?) and they are mostly effective at twilight or on overcast days.

I'm thinking overcast days must have more blue light (higher color temp. I'll look that up) and by filtering it out things seems brighter because we see blue light as darker?

maybe?

They increase the contrast and that alone takes strain off the eyes. In B&W photography those color lenses help to render the sky a darker shade of gray since B&W film is somewhat more blue sensitive than our eyes.
Yes. I'll just add that the blue light that reduces visual acuity is from scattering. Scattering happens when nice crisp rays of light hit gas, like the atmosphere, which causes them to wiggle, and move into the blue wavelength range. Yellow counteracts the blue, and polarization eliminates almost all of the wiggles that are not in the vertical plane. Glare is light waves not in the vertical plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Leaving the discussion of color aside, polarized lenses really can make dramatic improvement by reducing the glare from the wet roads.
The only negative about polarized lenses is they can cause problems viewing some electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
We'll no glasses at walmart, fred's and 2 welding supplies. Next check is a truck stop. Damn I hate to go to eye Dr. and pay big bucks for something that may not work.
Walgreens has a "as seen on TV" area. I think I've sen them there.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #28
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

BTW, it's not what we're discussing here, but High Energy Visible light (HEV) is the new UV. Studies have shown that HEV light from screens can do all kinds of harm to people.

http://www.bluelightexposed.com/#what-is-bue-light
Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #29
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
The only negative about polarized lenses is they can cause problems viewing some electronics.
Also tinted windows on cars, and windshields which are themselves polarized. I had to get rid of my polarized prescription sunglasses because every time I drove I was surrounded by rainbows all the time like I was high on LSD, then I'd cock my head 45 degrees to the side and suddenly everything in front of me would get much lighter and blind me, then I'd get out to pump gas and couldn't read the damn display at the pump and had to take my glasses off, except then I couldn't see so I had to lean in and squint... I'm much happier just living with a little glare.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #30
busterb
NSABFD

Well I had to return my glasses to eye DR. because the wonderful Va or someone screwed up. Anyway I looked at Wal-mart.No luck, but I did find a HD visor from the as seen junk. Best I can tell, if you have any kind of head on wreck, it'll take the top of your head OFF.
But wait, there's more. A big headed, good hearted guy from the pot hole state of PA. sent me some shades and a clip-on. I've yet to thank him. But I will.