The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #46
bennyhill
Dog O'Nine Tails

pardon, this is the question:

Do you consider moderated the behavior of your country?

The war has not been as you the have presented in your media.
bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:22 AM   #47
Cam
dripping with ignorance

War is never a good thing, but sometimes the end results are, I think this may be one of those times. Smiling Iraqis waving at our soldier give me hope.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #48
dave

Been watching CNN lately? They don't make it look clean and neat. We're reminded pretty constantly of the ugly side of war. They just don't act like there's nothing good to come from it, 'cause there will be. But yes, of course, it's me who's watching the biased news sources.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:49 AM   #49
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Just remember dave we are ignorant americans who are spoon fed only the good stuff.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #50
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I agree with BennyHill and his pal...let's just ask Saddam to leave Iraq. That'll solve the problem.

What? He doesn't *want* to leave? You say he enjoys the torture, rape and murder his 'government' conducts on its own people? He'd like to just go on doing that as long as possible, please?

Well, okay...fine. We're sorry. Go ahead, Saddam. We should just mind our own business.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #51
dave

“BELIEVE ME, I have waited for this moment for 35 years,” said Majid Mohammed, an electrical engineer. “You must bring these words to the American people. Thank you, thank you very, very much.”
Old 04-10-2003, 09:11 AM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bennyhill, I would like to see some pictures of the 2,000,000 people Saddam has killed.

Do you have any of those images?

I see some of them in the books that people are looking at in the torture chambers and prisons. They keep the personal records of the people they have killed. Do you have some of those pictures please?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:12 AM   #53
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

O.K. then go on, war in the rest of dictatory regimes. Go ahead guys! And we'll see the consequences
Old 04-10-2003, 09:20 AM   #54
dave

Consequences: lots of dead Americans, lots of dead enemy soldiers, plenty of dead civilians and a lot of free people.

War definitely sucks. But saying that it's never just or that no good ever comes from it is completely false. Hello, Nazis?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:43 AM   #55
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rucita
O.K. then go on, war in the rest of dictatory regimes. Go ahead guys! And we'll see the consequences
OK. Would you like Syria and Lebanon to be next (as they fear), or should we go the other way and take Iran? Syria is probably a worse dictatorship, but Iran's working on a nuclear program. I suppose we could take a breather and do Yemen, but there doesn't seem to be so much benefit to that.

Forget about North Korea; we're trying to goad Kim Il Jong into attacking China and kill two birds with one stone.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:48 AM   #56
Rucita
Wiseacre Emeritus

I hope you were just "joking"
Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #57
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Rucita, no offense meant here, but you seen pretty much incapable of humor in relation to any of this.

I might suggest that you would do more to enlighten your fellow man by the application of good humor to a nasty situation that you really aren't empowered to change in any significant way.

Many of us here are ambivalent about the situation in Iraq. We see the necessity for the actions our government has taken, but we abhor wars because, well, they are abhorrent. Injured children do not make anyone here proud nor happy. Ruined lives are not a good thing, but they are an *unavoidable* thing when a despot refuses to leave power quietly.

No one here is trying to justify, rationalize or moralize the hideous suffering inflicted on the innocents in Iraq, but I would suggest that you point the finger of blame at the reason we are there, and not at the fact that we are doing what really, really needs to be done.

If Saddam's own people had overthrown him, many would have suffered, and much more so than they are suffering at the hands of our military. We are at least *trying* to minimize civilian casualties. Saddam's forces aren't even doing that. They weren't even trying to minimize civilian casualties when there was no war.

War sucks, we all known it. Now, can we discuss the need for the action and not the results? Or at least, can we discuss the possible long term benefits instead of the immediate carnage?

There was going to be carnage no matter what happened or who perpetrated it. I suggest that, in the long run, we may very well be saving lives in Iraq.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #58
bennyhill
Dog O'Nine Tails

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Bennyhill, I would like to see some pictures of the 2,000,000 people Saddam has killed.

Do you have any of those images?

I see some of them in the books that people are looking at in the torture chambers and prisons. They keep the personal records of the people they have killed. Do you have some of those pictures please?
the violence justifies the violence?
the death justifies more death?

The U.S. do not liberate, have other interest in Iraq.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:27 PM   #59
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's fine, my second Spanish friend. Time will show us whether the US is going to be a conqueror, or whether it will give the country back to the Iraqis, as it says it will.

Time will show us whether there are any chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons in Iraq.

Bennyhill, if the US does give the country back, and if the weapons are there, will you apologize for your accusations?

Because I promise you, if the US does not give the country back, and if no weapons are found, I will apologize to you -- and I will work to change the US government.

But if the US does the right thing, for the right reasons, and STILL you criticize, then your words are simple anti-Americanism, simple prejudice.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:05 PM   #60
bennyhill
Dog O'Nine Tails

Arrow

Be in agreement with you.
Seems me a reasonable posture.