The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I've never completed what is considered even the very lowest level of formal education.
Which just goes to show that formal education and knowledge/wisdom are not one and the same.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

You cannot be overly educated, but there is no doubt you can be under educated.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Which just goes to show that formal education and knowledge/wisdom are not one and the same.
Absolutely.

I would bet Flint searches knowledge on his own, if not formally educated, with a thirst some college students would find admirable.

Though I would ask for your definition of no graduation from formal education if you don't mind, Flint.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I can't be over-educated, having quit full time education at the age of 16. However I constantly find myself overly-intellectual for my lifestyle/ world.

I would change that if I could. On the one hand I wish I had the same group of people around me IRL that I do here. I'd sit and smile in the corner and listen and try to learn when I was out of my depth. I am hungry for knowledge and if it means I sometimes soak up trivia that's okay, as long as I trust the source and/ or can verify it.

But part of me thinks I'd really be happier with a lower IQ. I'm not claiming I am a genius, that I would stand out in any normal line-up, but I have so often felt isolated by being bored by conversation. I got on great with my co-workers when I was an evening working shelf stacker. But two or three times a night I would be called deep or weird or told I think too much. I laughed it off - another team member was vain, another obsessed with getting pregnant again, it was just my quirk. We got on well, but partly I think because we only ever spent 5 hours together.

In more highly skilled jobs it has happened too. I've been deferred to when I don't deserve it, and treated like I'm some sort of Ultimate Mind. Sadly, the one place I felt I fit in intellectually, I am no longer employed by. And even then, these people were better educated than me and certainly moved in higher social circles (being horrified to find I thought Weatherspoon's served a good meal for example).

I dunno. I think I'm under-educated for my brain, and just a misfit for my social class. I'll never walk with Kings nor lose the common touch. Perhaps in the end it comes down to self-consciousness.
Well done SG. You are highly educated in my eyes. :p
Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

This reminds me of yesterday when I discussed what someone was studying, and I had more interest in it than they did. For some reason that bothered me a little. You can buy an education, but not a passion for knowledge? I don't know, maybe that's why it bothered me. I'm still not sure.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #21
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
This reminds me of yesterday when I discussed what someone was studying, and I had more interest in it than they did. For some reason that bothered me a little. You can buy an education, but not a passion for knowledge? I don't know, maybe that's why it bothered me. I'm still not sure.
I see that all the time. Some students are stimulated by subjects that others find so totally boring. I was an assoc prof for 6 years and it was amazing how different subjects could just set people off like a light switch. Others needed to be jabbed with a sharpe stick to get them to do the studies they needed to get by. Who knows, human nature I guess.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Though I would ask for your definition of no graduation from formal education if you don't mind, Flint.
I dropped out of high school, and later went back to a work-at-your-own pace high school, but left before finishing the required credits. Then I dual-enrolled in a junior college, but lost interest and left to pursue other interests.

Later, after stumbling into a computer career, I got my GED and re-enrolled in junior college. Started on a two-year networking degree. My plan was to finish something before looking for a new job.

Later on I realized that none of these credits would transfer to a University for a full degree, so I started taking core curriculum. Around this time the recruiters started calling me. I found some certificates I could acquire quickly.

But, before I had a chance to even finish my certificates, my dream job opened up. Now I am entirely too busy to do any academic studying--however, the job is teaching me more than any college degree ever could (and in fact, there is no degree available for my field.)

So, basically, I have a GED.

I do plan to finish up on some of this stuff, some day.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #23
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I was an assoc prof for 6 years and it was amazing how different subjects could just set people off like a light switch. Others needed to be jabbed with a sharpe stick to get them to do the studies they needed to get by.
That goes right to who Einstein was. As Hilbert noted, Einstein was a terrible student. But his passion was inspired by an objective.

Einstein desperately wanted to understand the relationship between the various forces in nature. His frustration was in never learning how to integrate gravity into an otherwise spectaculor accomplishment. To accomplish, he had to be taught some of the math that he may have otherwise known if he was a better student. (Unlike the myths in "Good Will Hunting", much of that stuff is not intuitive. It must be taught or learned.)

Once Einstein knew what he wanted to accomplish, then he was inspired. At one point working so hard that his health was at risk.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #24
tw

Quote:
But, before I had a chance to even finish my certificates, my dream job opened up.
The irony is that, with a 4 year degree, you may have been "too qualified" for that same job. It says much about how we rate the value and capabilities of people. When how much you cost is more important than what you can do.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #25
Cloud

I think it's nonsense. Education is never wasted. Learning is one of the joys of life. People's attitudes can be a problem, but that's not the fault of education itself. It's because people are jerks.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #26
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Learning is great. But when it becomes an excuse for not living in the real world and taking responsibility for yourself, then it loses most of its value.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Deleted by responder for brevity :p
I do plan to finish up on some of this stuff, some day.
There are rare individuals who don't embrace formal education as we see it but who self educate to an impressive degree...that's a gift if you ask me. You're smarter 'n crap...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
The irony is that, with a 4 year degree, you may have been "too qualified" for that same job. It says much about how we rate the value and capabilities of people. When how much you cost is more important than what you can do.
Eh, the "too qualifed" argument is only usually brought up if one plays their qualifications like an ass. People overly educated for a certain job should also be smart enough to know when not to play the "I'm so smart" card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I think it's nonsense. Education is never wasted. Learning is one of the joys of life. People's attitudes can be a problem, but that's not the fault of education itself. It's because people are jerks.
Amen Cloud! :
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #28
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Eh, the "too qualifed" argument is only usually brought up if one plays their qualifications like an ass.
Or it may identify a boss who fears employees with too much knowledge. I have seen it both ways. He is too educated; therefore will not stay. Or he does not have the sufficient degrees. None should be a reason if the person is being judged based upon abilities. Unfortunately one is strongly encouraged to play qualifications like an ass because that also works.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #29
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
The irony is that, with a 4 year degree, you may have been "too qualified" for that same job.
Yeah, not really. Most job listings for this position describe a superman with a list of accomplishments it would take three lifetimes to amass. I manage to get by on the "or equivalent experience" clause (having proof that I have done, and can do, the actual job).
Quote:
It says much about how we rate the value and capabilities of people. When how much you cost is more important than what you can do.
I think my current employer understands that how much I am costing them is directly related to how much I can do for them, as opposed to whether I've got a degree that they can cover their ass with. They're not saving any money by going with me, if that's what you mean.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #30
Tree Fae
Major Inhabitant

I have a Master's in Education and I am changing diapers on 2 and 3 year olds... at least it gets me a bit better pay, almost enough to live decently on. But the education is worthless to do anything but teach and I am starting to really hate dealing with kids and parents and stupid rules and regulations coming from all directions