The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Well, we're half way to green eggs and ham now.
Darn, you beat me to it.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #17
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
And this is useful how, exactly? Partly for genetic research, I guess,
Another example of a difference between application research verses fundamental research.

AT&T once did fundamental research in its Bell Labs. Now that their management demands 'useful' things, Bell Labs no longer create things like lasers, transistors, and Telstar. The Bell Labs now does application research. Their management also would see nothing gained by fluorescent pigs - or Unix.

As was discussed some years ago, a major difference exists between application research verses fundamental research. In 1973, when someone spliced some genes together, then nobody cared; few even noticed. Today, application of that research is creating religious wars about life. How many will die in future wars fought over fluorescent pigs?

How useful is a fluorescent pig? Maybe it will create a man who glows -and is then worshipped as a second coming of Christ. Then Jews will be killed off and we all will have a new religion. Fundamental research is useful only as fundamental research - which is essential for the survival of mankind. In fundamental research, we don't ask why. Instead only ask how and therefore create the world's greatest achievements - and sometimes a holocaust.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
How useful is a fluorescent pig?
I believe I already answered this question.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
Sneaky8
mmm...cheese

Glowing Pets, Leather, Vegans, Honey & Rationalization

so, after several years of spying on you guys from afar, and forbidding myself to become a member out of fear that i'd never get anything else done, I have finally decided to officially join the family.

just yesterday, i was looking into purchasing some glofish (i do believe there was a IotD with these geneticly altered fish way back when), but given this new scientific breakthrough, i've decided to reconsider my options. additionally, i propose that we collect some of the eggs from the aformentioned fish and have a slightly modified green eggs (caviar) and ham. Though i'm sure if we search hard enough, we may be able to locate some radioactive chicken eggs. Who's with me?!

also, regarding animal activists who don't wear fur...
i have several friends who are vegans (though they're not crazy activists with spraypaint cans and definitely not part of this new sect of animal activism that seems to condone human murder in order to make their point more clear). they do not wear leather or use any products that are tested on animals. they are even wary of most soy cheeses and soy products because many contain casein which is derived from milk. They don't even eat honey because honey is made using bees that stay on the bee farms (or whatever they are) because they stick by their queen. Thus, from what my friends tell me, they clip the wings of the female bees.

Interestingly, it's not always eating animals that's the issue. My friends would probably never eat an animal but they do understand that it's not entirely unreasonable. Mainly, it's today's factory farming that is really horrible. The animals are kept in conditions that are horribly inhumane and there are no laws regarding the treatment of animals used for fur, hide, or food unless it pertains to the effect it will have on human health. If you treated your pets the way these animals are treated, you'd be slapped with a megafine and probably some jail time. I've actually read up on some of this in an ethics class i oncen took, and I do have to agree that the treatment of animals int hese situations is REALLY awful.

However, I say this as i take a bite of my non-free range, non-organic, antibibotic-laden & MIGHT TASTY barbecue CHICKEN sandwich. And i've been boiling a nice red tea with some freshly chopped ginger and as soon as i'm done this sammich, i'm gonna pour some HONEY in, curl up on the sofa, and watch Team American (which I now own! hooray!) all by my lonesome. Apparently, when you have a very bad cold, no one wants to come over and play with you! So, ummm, I need this chicken! and the honey! for...ummmm...psychological well-being!
Sneaky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #20
Sneaky8
mmm...cheese

oops...QUEEN bees

hmmm, in the above post, i meant to say QUEEN bees where i said FEMALE bees, but if i recall correctly from my ethology class, the queen is the only female in the hive. however, i could have totally made that up just now! so don't go spreading this rumor before you confirm it.
Sneaky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Fundamental research is useful only as fundamental research - which is essential for the survival of mankind.
There’s been a lot of research in my lifetime, both pure and application.
Computers, jet planes and toys galore plus advances in medicine and knowledge by orders of magnitude. But has life really gotten better?
Different, yes! Better, not so sure?
I'm wondering how fundamental research “is essential for the survival of mankind”?
To undo past screwups? Do you mean to maintain our momentum with finite resources?
You lost me.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:15 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

These pigs are scarier than the cyclopean kitten.

Oh, wait! I get it, it's Friday, but it's Friday the 13th.

That must be it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hi, Sneaky8! Glad you've come to play (even if you do have a cold)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #24
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky8
hmmm, in the above post, i meant to say QUEEN bees where i said FEMALE bees, but if i recall correctly from my ethology class, the queen is the only female in the hive. however, i could have totally made that up just now! so don't go spreading this rumor before you confirm it.
Actually, all of the worker bees are female as well. Male bees just sit around and have sex with the Queen.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sneaky8, I missed the post(s) you snuck in while I was composing mine.
Welcome to the Cellar. You must be sick to join this crowd....OH yeah, you are. Well, you're in now.....in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, etc, etc. Hope you'll still love us when you're fever goes down.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #26
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Glow in the dark pigs.
Now pigfarmers don't need a flashlight to find a date for the weekend.......

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #27
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Well, we're half way to green eggs and ham now.
I will not eat them in the cellar
I will not eat them with that feller.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #28
Electrophile
Jotter of Notes

The key thing about these pigs is they make a specific, human inserted, protein in all of their parts. The fact that they're green and photogenic makes it a news story, but the reason that Green Flourescent Protein (GFP) is used in these sorts of experiments is because it's easy to detect; you only have to shine the right light on the pigs. That's a fast and cheap experiment. Furthermore, GFP is also a small and easy to express protein so it's easier to work with.
From a basic research standpoint, no one knows what experiments will pay off in the long run, but having pigs make specific proteins may eventually be useful in organ transplantation from pig to human, or the knowledge may be useful in gene therapy of some sort.
Electrophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #29
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Good point, plus you never know when a transgenic component can turn out to be part of group of genomes that work in concert or are dependent on others.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #30
beavis
butthead died

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Laughed like a loon at this, thank you
i do what i can love
beavis is offline   Reply With Quote