The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-28-2004, 08:09 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From Alphageek
Quote:
I've found that for most of the truly nagging, hard questions, all you need is a new perspective or two to really find an answer that suits you.
Ah, the secret of happiness. Don't make yourself nuts trying to find THE answer, THE truth, THE path. There is no THE. Find an answer that suits you.

besides, you can't handle the truth.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #47
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageek31337
I'd love to see a source that says that amanita muscaria, muscaria var. formosa, pantherina or other amanitas used psychedelically contain strychnine (not other species, as it is common knowledge that a large number of mushrooms will easily kill you). This is not a challenge, I am not trying to disprove you. I'd just really like to see a source before I go ahead and try some of this stuff.
AMANITA PHALLOIDES (Mushrooms) - This kind of mushroom is
distinguishable from its non-lethal, tasty twin AGARICUS CAMPESTRIS by
its tiny white scales and warts. You can cook amanita without
detoxificating it at all, so it is quite easy to serve this baby up to
somebody without arousing suspicion. You've got 12 hours to head down
to Mexico before your victim gets hit with relatively mild nausea,
vomiting and diarrhea. These won't be too bad for another day or so,
when they will become bad enough that he will seek medical assistance.
But by then it may be too late, and death by circulatory collapse may
have occurred. If not, then in 3 or 4 days his skin will turn yellow
from liver deterioration, and how long can you live without a liver?

http://www.textfiles.com/drugs/poisons.txt

In the 60's many psychotropics were laced with strychnine. I don't have contacts with the hallucinegetic drug world anymore (everybody who was under the age of 30 and alive in the 60's had such contacts almost by default), so I don't know if this is still a common practice. Amanita in the right dose is still deadly, however.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #48
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Like I said, who am I to argue with someone else's spiritual path? It DOES concern me, however, that some young people might get the wrong idea and OD on a substance that contains strichnine like amanita and the like.
Are you thinking of the Blue Star blotter acid warnings?
Strychnine in LSD is an urban legend.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #49
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Are you thinking of the Blue Star blotter acid warnings?
Strychnine in LSD is an urban legend.

I certainly hope it is an urban legend now, but it wasn't back then. I managed to live through those times, but I had some friends who became VERY ill!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:22 PM   #50
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've got to second Mari, here...the people I knew who used to make the stuff told me they put minute quantities in it. It was believed to enhance the colors, and it caused hellacious stomach cramps when it was present.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #51
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
footfootfoot, that's fucking hiliarious. That about sums up my impression of what all drugs trips are like (seeing as I've never had any myself...)
Clodfobble,
Yeah, I wish it were entirely mine. I cribbed a bit here and there. But it does seem to hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:51 AM   #52
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

"And remember to first identify Amanita muscaria from its more deadly relatives, A. phalloides, A. ocreata, A. virosa, and A. verna, before gathering on your own. Each of these potentially deadly species can be differentiated from A. muscaria by their saclike volva. If you have any doubt whatsoever about the mushroom you have then discard it."
From the Erowid Psychoactive Amanitas Vault

As I've said before, unless you have a degree or a fairly large amount of experience in the field, do *not* go mushroom hunting. I actually have mushrooms growing in my backyard right now that are almost definitely amanitas, but I can't tell if they're pantherina or phalloides, and becuase of this they will continue to grow unmolested.

As for strychnine in acid to cause tracers and other visuals, see the above link to erowid (god, it's nice to have zero-bullshit sources for these things...hyperreal, RIP).
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by alphageek31337; 09-29-2004 at 12:54 AM.
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote