The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-07-2001, 10:11 PM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

You WHAT?!

So, the White House says they can't help us when it comes to high gas prices this summer.

You mean to tell me that the big W and the big Dick (with his $35 million made in big oil last year) can't get their buddies in Houston to cut some slack? We can't increase our own production? We can't take some oil from Iraq?

Thank God I own a Geo Metro...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 12:05 AM   #17
jaguar
whig

Well yes they can help you. (i live in australia, thats why its a they, not an us)
But they don't wnat to, you expect your 'elected' governemtn to HELP CITISENS? blasphemy, that'd be against the corperate constitution.
</rant>

Oil prices, wherever u get it from are gonna continue to rise whatever any goverment does, there is a limited supply and growing demand. Time to think alternative people.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:48 AM   #18
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Well yes they can help you. (i live in australia, thats why its a they, not an us)
But they don't wnat to, you expect your 'elected' governemtn to HELP CITISENS? blasphemy, that'd be against the corperate constitution.
</rant>
*laughs*

I know jaguar...we shouldn't expect ANYTHING from our current administration. ;-)

Truth be told, the US is spoiled. We have some of the lowest gasoline (or petrol as you Aussies call it) prices in the world...nothing like what is going on in Europe (or what happened in France and Belgium last year). Not to mention, we manufacture some of the worst gas-eaters on earth. (Those fu**ing SUVs) As I said previously, I own a Geo/Chevrolet Metro. With its twin, the Suzuki Swift, they are two of the highest gas-economy cars in the US. Unfortunately, with my poor car having one foot in the grave, the gas mileage isn't what it used to be. Not to mention, I think the EPA's estimates are b.s.

The only reason I even drive to work anymore is because my current employer pays for it. Before that, I was a happy little subway and bus rider. And depending on what I do in my next job, I may be back on the El again.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:23 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Questions of George's Intelligence

George Jr continues to inflict damage on US international relations. Clinton would have called the Chinese Prime Minister up front and established an understanding before political forces threw the China Spy Plane incident totally out of control - damage which still festers today.

Had George Jr consulted people who come from where the work gets done (if he had any science advisors before making an extremist right wing decision), then he would not advocate increases in Greenhouse gases.

Most readers don't listen to overseas news reports and opinions. The news reports of serious damage already traceable to global warming are now daily in most international broadcasts - which unfortunately paint all Americans as evil as a lower intelligence George Jr - a man who could not even place a phone call to China.

International relations continue downhill. The US is a founding member of the international commmission on Human Rights. The US was just voted off the commission because of human rights abuses promoted by anti-American Jesse Helms, Dan Burton, and other extremist right wing Republicans. Now with an extremist right wing President, a Human Right commission no longer views US as an advocate of international human rights. Why is that not obvious to the common American? Unfortunately we were so brainwashed by the rhetoric of a previous administration that we did not even see Saddam Hussein massing to invade Kuwait. No wonder we don't notice world opinion changing; the US no longer an considered an advocate for human rights.

Now the US has been voted out of an international commission on illegal drug trafficing. A world of great relations is souring quickly. The world gave Pres Clinton a standing 5 minute ovation in the UN because the man was an intelligent leader. You may not have liked Clinton. But then you should advocating the impeachment of George Jr.

I'm not advocating a silly impeachment. I am only noting the world news - that George Jr is quickly souring US relations with every other nation in the world - this when the US comes off of some of the best international relations in generations. What a shame that we who love extremist right wings politican have done to this nation. In a government now dominated by extremists, it is amazing that a KKK murder is finally coming to trial - no thanks to Jesse Helms, et al.

Just a reminder - I never once voted for Bill Clinton and never was his top notch supporter. In fact I grew up a member of the Young Republicans. However that is how bad the current US President and his corrupt Congrssional power brokers in Congress have become.

Why can't two oil executive - Cheney and Bush - see the energy waste in America often directly traceable to stifled American innovations? Both are oil men who only understand "more consumption" and the status quo IOW both are MBAs who don't understand the nature and power of "innovation". They may have been born intelligent, but then they were educated.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 08:48 PM   #20
tw

More Questions of George's Intelligence

I never much believed the campaign jokes about George Jr's intelligence. But as comedians interviewed on Nightline noted, those George Jr. intelligence jokes don't work very well as people now suspect they were not jokes.

Well, he insulted the German Chancellor, talks the economy into recession to promote a economic joke called a tax cut, ignores the work in Kosovo when reintegration now requires careful attention, encouraged the dic head leader of Israel to murder hundreds of Palestinians and to destroy the last vestiges of the Oslo Accords because a few Jews died (see the Mitchel report for a logical assement of Middle East violence), undermines relations with China and North Korea, earns derogatory comments from the Norwegian Foreign Minister, denies citizens an education because they used something less dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes, protects the cigarette industry whose executives can lie boldfaced to Congress while under oath, hires a drug enforcement offical who clearly and stupidly declares that drug treatment does not work ... What more can this darling of right wing extremists do to appease the power hungry fringe? He continues...

Regarding the US removal from Human Rights commission-
From The Economist of 12 May 2001 - a conservative news publication:
"" ... the United States itself was far from blameless in the affair. Its embarrassment was no doubt partly a consequence of incompetence. It has no ambassador at the UN present ... But an American ambassador would have had his work cut out last week. Even many of Ameria's allies have been alarmed at the apparent disdain for multilaterialism of the new administration. The humility that George Bush preached as a candidate - "If we are an arrogant nation, they will resent us," he said - seems to have got lost in the scramble to reject the Kyoto treaty on climate change, the treaty to setup a world criminal court, the Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty, the effort to make cheap AIDS drugs available in poor countries, a convention on disappearances, and so on. [the man has not even been in office six months - what relationship has he not damaged? What progress has he not destroyed?] If so many traditionaly friendly countries failed to come to America's support, that was partly because America itself has been unneccessarily peremptory.""

The man has so much extremist right wing sediments that even close US friends are stepping aside. US only a year ago had nothing but historically the most cordial relations with most every world nation. In less than six months, a mental midget has destroyed relations with almost every nation except those in S America. But then he continues to only make things worse:

""The most regrettable consequence of the episode is that it has played straight into the hands of the right wing members of Congress who like to believe that the UN and all its doings are resolutely opposed to the United States [of course everyone is an enemy to a right wing mentality]. Never mind that this outfit [Human Rights Commission], sitting in Geneva and reflecting not the UN secretariat but the governments of some 53 members, has little to do with the UN proper. Plenty of far-right Republicans are already tempted to seize last week's vote as a chance to throw out the deal, negotiated in the final days of the Clinton administration, whereby America at last coughs up its unpaid dues in return for a cut in its UN contributions [and restructuring of UN operations]. That would set America's relations with the UN on a downward spiral once more - to the detriment of even more than human rights.""

Even from a responsible conservative news publications, George Jr's last six months appear, at best, incompetant. The list of destruction is so long that most don't even know of 10% of Geroge's undoing.

Old 05-14-2001, 04:08 AM   #21
jaguar
whig

From where i stand (outside amerika, thank god) yes, US international relationships are really going downhill. Its obvious the US thinks they are just the bee's knees and can do what they want without any consultation with anyone, no wonder they were voted off(drug trafficiing/human rights), they are not a team player(afterwards they threaten to withdraw funding like a little kid who was kicked out for bullying and threatens to take his ball with him). America has always refused to have equal standards, they still refuse to sign the Landmine treaty (it might undermine your defence) , YES IT DOES DO THAT, BUT IT SAVES THE LIVES AND LIMBS OF INNOCENTS. Damn after being to vietnam and seeing kids with missing limbs from american landmines....Now we have Koyoto, which is not aparantly in the US economic interest, well we will see whats in the US economic interest when miami starts to flood won't we. Then we have the Missle shield........I am hoping the US becomes isolated and without many close allies and the rest of the world bands together in the spirit of cooperation to takes its place on the world stage.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:09 AM   #22
jaguar
whig

Talking Thanks

Thanks to tw (once again) for an in-depth and through pots above me, with i had hte time/patience to structure apoint so well....=)
Old 05-14-2001, 10:30 AM   #23
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Right now, I'm just waiting for them to impeach Dubya. On a count of stupidity.

*begins preparing his "Bring Back Bill" movement

~Mike
Old 05-14-2001, 10:39 AM   #24
russotto
Professor

Quote:
America has always refused to have equal standards, they still refuse to sign the Landmine treaty (it might undermine your defence) , YES IT DOES DO THAT, BUT IT SAVES THE LIVES AND LIMBS OF INNOCENTS.
It would undermine South Korea's defense, actually.

By its nature, the lives and limbs of innocents are not the first priority in determining which weapons should be used in war.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 02:15 AM   #25
jaguar
whig

You telling me a line of claymores are gonna stop the north Koreans?
You gonna tell me that North Korea is really gonna attack, knowing that they need US grain/aid? Come on, its not gonna happen, they know they woudl not win, it owudl achieve nothing from Kim Il Jong (or whatever his name is i forget, its late and i'm tired) The cold, ideological war is over, the evil godless commie scum aren't gonna be taking over anyhtign in the near future, world economies and trade agreements have given the western wrold even biggest sticks to threaten these countries with, and they don't cost lives, unlike nukes...or landmines.
Old 05-16-2001, 07:43 PM   #26
russotto
Professor

Quote:
You telling me a line of claymores are gonna stop the north Koreans?
I don't think claymores would be prohibited by the treaty, actually. But there's more than claymores on that border, and the idea isn't to STOP them, it's to slow them down long enough for your army to stop them.

Quote:
[B}
You gonna tell me that North Korea is really gonna attack, knowing that they need US grain/aid? Come on, its not gonna happen, they know they woudl not win, it owudl achieve nothing from Kim Il Jong (or whatever his name is i forget, its late and i'm tired)
[/b]
Rationally, no. But rationally they wouldn't have fired a missile over Japan a year or so ago either. Remember the picture of the earth at night that was popular a few months ago? North Korea stands out quite well -- the whole country is dark except for Pyongyang. They've got to be really damn poor, which could make them really desparate too.

Quote:
[B}
The cold, ideological war is over, the evil godless commie scum aren't gonna be taking over anyhtign in the near future, world economies and trade agreements have given the western wrold even biggest sticks to threaten these countries with, and they don't cost lives, unlike nukes...or landmines. [/b]
Please. World economies and trade agreements are fine, but as a threat they pale compared to nukes and mines. And while I know the Cold War is over, and you know the Cold War is over, does Kim Jong Il know the Cold War is over?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 03:56 AM   #27
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Rationally, no. But rationally they wouldn't have fired a missile over Japan a year or so ago either. Remember the picture of the earth at night that was popular a few months ago? North Korea stands out quite well -- the whole country is dark except for Pyongyang. They've got to be really damn poor, which could make them really desparate too.
Yes they are desperate, desperate and starving, they relly incredibly heavily on forign aid, which would be suspended in the event of a military strike, thankyou for backing up my previous point. As for the missle, it was a cheap stunt.

Quote:
Please. World economies and trade agreements are fine, but as a threat they pale compared to nukes and mines. And while I know the Cold War is over, and you know the Cold War is over, does Kim Jong Il know the Cold War is over?
a: i'd love to see north korea threaten America with a mine. B, they don't have nukes, or to our knowledge, chem or bio weapons. Yes Kim does, why else would he be (until the ham-fisted Bush Jr came into office) be in talks with the US?

Decades of isolation and terrible goverment has crippled North Korea, its war machine too is in no state to atack South Korea, and once US troops started landing....

THey have nothing at all they could gain for a definate-lose conflict except pride, and yet more scare resources.
Old 05-18-2001, 02:59 AM   #28
tw

Re: Questions of George's Intelligence

Quote:
... And while I know the Cold War is over, and you know the Cold War is over, does Kim Jong Il know the Cold War is over?
Kim Jong Il did in mid 1990s as he terminated his (father's) nuclear program. That has now changed since we elected a mental midget. N Korea has announced intentions to restart their nuclear program. This is directly traceable to George Jr.

From http://www.isn-lase.ethz.ch:

""Many, both inside and outside of the Clinton administration, felt that a breakthrough had been made that would fortify the North-South rapprochement that was underway. When the new administration made a number of public statements that expressed deep suspicions about both Kim Jong Il and the negotiations, Kim retaliated by cancelling a carefully arranged future visit to Seoul. Not only had a potential path to better US-North Korean relations been blocked, but Kim Dae Jung's 'sunshine policy' had clouded over.""

That strategic analysis made before George made things worse. Who elected this man anyway? Was she a bimbo (now person non-grata in the eyes of both parties) heavily caked in makeup looking so much like Tammy Faye? And who is this man anyway who operates with the mentality of an MBA? How did we get into so many international problems so quickly?
Old 05-18-2001, 10:48 PM   #29
elSicomoro

Re: Re: Questions of George's Intelligence

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
And who is this man anyway who operates with the mentality of an MBA? How did we get into so many international problems so quickly?
It's quite simple: A bunch of hucksters in Texas, Missouri, New Hampshire, and the western and southern US felt that the last President we had was too much of a playboy (he was obviously, but rather than look at the policies, they looked at the person). Dubya looked like a good guy, a normal human being. And he stumbles over words too. And it appears that some folks in the West and South have IQs less than 70, so this was very appealing to them. In addition, it would appear that some folks in Florida have problems with depth and spatial perception. *turn sarcasm off* Texas is one thing, but the US as a whole is over 10 times the population of Texas, not to mention a bunch more bureaucracy. Bush looks to his father and of course, Ronnie, as his heroes. Because we all know that things *looked* very good in the 80s. It took us 4 years of Bush Sr. to realize that Ronnie really didn't deserve to go up on Rushmore.

[Edited by sycamore on 05-18-2001 at 11:51 PM]