The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #751
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Everything was good in this place. The service was good, the temp was very comfortable and all the menus and placemats looked very professional.

It seemed as though this place was serious about making some money here. That's a pleasant change from many places that almost seem as though the restaurant is some type of hobby that they don't quite treat seriously.

Anyway... this place was very good.
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 11-10-2007 at 08:50 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #752
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

The staff was a bit nervous about me taking so many pics of the menus and such but without the flash they couldnt tell for sure if I was taking pics.

This is the menu which you cannot read well because it's very dark and I couldnt use the flash.

There are a wide variety of delicious looking meals that I would believe would arrive on my table as they appear on the menu.

Again I say, the pork ribs were delicious.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #753
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

More of the menu
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #754
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Good food and fair prices. Wonder what the upstairs looks like?

The restroom was a 5 out of 10, but realistically, people here don't care what the restroom is like.

Also, some of the decor on the second floor.

Any Chinese speakers out there? What does the sign say?
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #755
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

First shot is the front door from the second floor.

I didnt take photos out of respect for the workers but there were several people, assuming cooking staff, that were napping upstairs.

They were lying down on the cushion of several chairs lined up.

If I had to guess they had been there for a very long time and taking a sleep break during this "slow time" .

At any rate, this is a place that I'll surely go back to. Good food, comfortable atmosphere, and good service.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #756
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Vehicles pics.

Out in LU there is a gold mine. That means that there are big dumptrucks running around the countryside.

Here are a few. These are not diesel leafblowers.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #757
monster
I hear them call the tide

Very interesting, thanks. When are you due to return to the US, or are you there for good now?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #758
SparkStalker
Vivacious Vivisectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
Before I reply I'd like to say thanks for you quick responses. I'm very curious about your trip here and to hear about specific experiences.
Not a problem...sorry I had to drop out yesterday...they expect me to occasionally work:p

Quote:
Well, there is an unusually large community of gays there but it sounds like that was not the case for you.

The Tagalog word for gay is "ba-ding" and they always try to catch my attention. Most likely just because I'm a foreigner, American, and they assume that my opinion of gays is better than the locals.

In any case, they fling their hair, batt their eyes and even take their tops down a bit. The gay men here seem to have quite large breasts medically, I'm assuming.

We've got a few in the family here. It's a very interesting community, I'll say that.

No Zippy, I'm not a switch hitter.
We did run into quite a few, but they didn't seem to interested in me. I keep telling myself that it's because my wife was always with me...
And she said that a number of the guys in the call centers were giving her fashion and make-up tips...
Quote:
Ok, this is making more sense to me. If you came here without any family or friends that are pinoy, no natives walking with you, they are cautious but friendly.

So, back to your experience, I can imagine them wanting to be friendly to you, to maybe learn from you and to make a new friend. At the same time they might be nervous because you have no direct connection, say your wife growing up in the Phils, so you might have a bad impression of them for the condition of the country compared to the US.

So, I cant imagine them keeping an eye on your for fear of you stealing something or the like. Curiosity most likely IMO.
OK, that is a bit assuring. Honestly, it felt like they were just waiting for me to do a grab and dash...not that I would've been able to even if I wanted to...I'm not much for warm, humid environments.
Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear that. In that same situation my excitement would be gone as well.
My mother passed very slowly years ago with various cancers. It was the most difficult emotional event in my life.
Thanks...and my condolences to you. It's a horrible thing to go through. I hated every moment of getting on that plane. Worse yet, my wife and I weren't even seated together. Since she was traveling for business, she got world business class. I was in the sardine section. I still give her hell about it.
Quote:
We have nieces and nephews that work in them. They love it and although they have bachelor degrees or above it's a very viable option here for a career. Not at all like the US.

There are two very important factors to being employed there. Their job is to offer technical assistance for a variety of IT and engineering type tasks, so having a tech degree is a must. The other must is the use and understanding of the English language.

Yes, it is true, in the US if you have hit bottom, you're only option might be a call center job.

In those cases though, the position is just as a salesperson on the phone. The call centers here in the Phils are often tech assistance centers to be more accurate.

There are tons of ads in the papers here that if you can pass the English test ( I think it's called the TOFEL) then you can get a position selling on the phone.

I wouldnt encourage any of our family here to do that. Those people have done nothing but irritate me over the years. They bring very little value to the world IMO.

For those that have English skills though, I suppose it's better than what life has to offer here.
The ones my wife visited were collection centers for a credit card company...she said that all the associates she worked with spoke almost flawless English...so much so that over the phone, you wouldn't be able to tell that they weren't native English speakers.

And if you don't mind, I may go through and pick out a few photos I took while we were there to post...
SparkStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 AM   #759
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkStalker View Post
And if you don't mind, I may go through and pick out a few photos I took while we were there to post...
That would be fantastic.

If you have specific questions about something that you saw there but didnt have the time to investigate, we may be able to supply more info and/or photos.

I'm curious to see what other people find interesting here in Manila. Sure, there are more than a few tourist areas and attractions but seeing other peoples' photos is surely interesting.

For the photo sizing, I use 610 x 460. That's not law here but it would keep the images consistent if you are able to resize without major hassles.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #760
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
There are no freezers or refridgorators there. The flies are waved off with swatters that dont stop moving.
Just ran across this. It shows the flyswatters there.

This is a friend's bbq shop that's very popular and profitable. The meats are partially cooked then put in the (unsanitary) racks on the table, then someone buys the meat and it's cooked completely and heated up, ready to eat.

Pretty effing scary, huh?

Something I forgot to describe here.

At the end of the night the foods that did not sell DO go into cold storage. They do have a fridge there but it's not used in the prep and display of the foods.

An important point that I left out
Attached Images

Last edited by slang; 11-11-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #761
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Everything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. By this time next year, you should be immune to everything.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #762
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Yeah, by this time next year I should be able to digest roadkill if necessary

I'm hoping never to need that ability though.

My illnesses are all but cured now so it seems that I'm developing resistance to other funk not in the foods too.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #763
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Ok, it's 4am and I'm bored out of my mind.

What do I miss about living in the USA?

1. The seasons. It's hot all the effing time here. Sure, sometimes it's less hot than other times and there is a regular rain to bring some uncomfortable humidity to the air.

2. People that are of a similar background as me. Everytime I start talking about this cool thing or that thing that I went to see or do everyone here is like deer caught in the headlights. They're all disadvantaged and from a very poor background. Fun was not a big part of their lives here.

3. Sleeping with a handgun. Even when you do not use your pillow hand cannon, just knowing that you could step outside and euthanize that effing dog that barks all night would be a good thing.

4. People that know they are not good singers don't sing, muchless sing with an amplifier that announces to the world that you can't carry a tune in a bucket. People here rent those videokey machines and sing like a dying mule...at very high volume, every weekend.

What do I not miss about living in the USA?

1. The fast pace of everything . Get up early, go to work, work late, get home late, have an hour to yourself and then go directly to sleep. That part I don't miss at all. If I sleep all day, there's no negative consequences. My schedule is completely my own.

2. Millions of restrictions, regulations and worries to do most anything. It's pretty wide open here. Not heaps of laws regulating what you can and cannot do. Very free (for those that have the money to do things).

3. The high cost of nearly everything. Gas, foods, fun stuff...everything.

4. Widescale lack of respect. People here surely show respect in the way that people in the US did in the 50s.

5. In the US, I'm a complete nobody. I move all over the US and work for all sorts of BIG companys doing some pretty cool stuff but no one outside of those that I work with have any idea that I might be able to find my ass with both hands. Here, I'm that American guy that likes to drink beer and have a good time. The guy that designs airliner components, cars, boats and all sorts of other cool stuff.

6. A significant attraction for living abroad for me is experiencing something different. It's so effing boring in many ways in the US. It's the same GD thing regardless of where you are.

7. NOT DRIVING. Sure when we're all 17, it's a big deal. Now after 20+ years of driving, it's not. The public rail system is comfortable and cheap here. The taxis are cheap ( although often beat up ). The trycycles are small and uncomfortable but very cheap. I effing LOVE NOT buying GAS!!

8. Here if you are family, you can stay with almost all other relatives! When we travel long distance, we call those who are living there and are in the famliy. Why pay for a hotel? Many of them have some decent places to stay too....with AC. What would my relatives in the US do if I came to visit them for a week or more? Kill me, most likely.

I'll surely be back to the US but there are some things about being here that I enjoy very much.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #764
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just a quick word to say keep on keeping on - I adore this thread and will sometimes go back to the start just to see if I spot anything diferent in pictures I haven't looked at in months.

Thanks for the time and effort you take for us, it's well appreciated here.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #765
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Thank you SG. Your appreciation makes it worth my effort.

Besides, it's this weird thing that I'm good at. There arent many.