The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #16
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I don't see the US switching, but not for Wolf's reason. Paper money is already becoming less and less common. I hardly carry any real cash on me anymore - especially since fast food places started accepting cards.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
glatt

That may be true, but Federal appeals courts have a lot of weight to throw around. There are something like 60 days left to appeal the ruling to the Supreme Court, but odds are the Supes won't hear it, and after that, the Dept of Engraving and Printing will have to make some changes.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I deal exclusively in cash, and most of my customers in the pub do too, even though we accept cards.

Almost all the guys in there have big wads of cash, they're self employed taxi drivers, van drivers, builders etc.

You'd be surprised how much cash there still is in circulation, certainly in this country.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
birdclaw
putting the "g" in flight

Do you think the "pretty" colors help stop counterfeiters? Seems like some of those would be pretty hard to duplicate.
birdclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
monster
I hear them call the tide

The UK notes have a whole host of countercounterfitting gadgets. Metal strips, watermarks, microprinting, special paper (not as cottony as US bills), holograms.... see here for a full list for each note:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...security_5.htm
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #21
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

Well actually, our Australian money is not paper it's plastic, much easier and so much better, and they last so much longer. I don't know how many notes I lost many many years ago in the wash, at least with plastic notes the washing machine just gives it a good old cleaning and gets rid of all those horrible nasty germs that money tends to collect. I think from memory New Zealand and Australia were the first countries to have plastic money.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #22
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
the washing machine just gives it a good old cleaning and gets rid of all those horrible nasty germs that money tends to collect.

here it would just get rid of all the cocaine molecules. Wonder if you could reclaim them? maybe gray water would become a valuable commodity?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #23
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Other than the attack of the Monopoly money, I don't see that happening. Come on, we can't even switch over to a dollar coin here. I do suspect a conspiracy involving the vending industry ... which would also block the differently sized bills. I already have enough trouble getting vending machines to accept bills!
We have different sized notes here and vending machines seem to manage them ok although with some vending machines they will only accept 5's or 10's for example.

A lot of them still just take coins though, but since our coins go all the way up to $2, usually anything you want from a vending machine is managed with that.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #24
SPUCK
Professor

Cook Islands...

Didn't some local dumb ass drunk driver just kill the king of the Cook Islands while he was here on a visit?
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #25
nil_orally
Larger than average member

Ha! I found a couple of $1 & $2 dollar Aussie bills the other week. I showed the 12 year old twins and their thirteen year old brother. They had no idea we ever had them in use. Their first question: didn't I have a trouble fitting them into the vending machines?

Seeing the green quid brought back a flood of memories from the last time I saw one - when I was 8.