The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What's the Magician's Other Hand Doing While we're All Watching the War?

Difficult as it may seem, news is continuing to happen in places other than Iraq and Washington. (I'm actually particularly concerned about what's going on in N. Korea while the world's attention is on the Middle East, but that's not what I'm going to talk about here ...)

In response to Bush's Monday Speech, an eco-"activitist" (my own term would be terrorist, incidentally) issued his own statement.

The key information is contained in his "call to action" which is near the end of the piece.

I hope that no one listens to Craig Rosebrough this time. (he, and his organization Earth Liberation Front, have in the past,been implicated in exhorting others to commit arson and other acts of property destruction) People will die in one or more of these "actions." It doesn't matter whether it's protestors or defenders.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:57 AM   #2
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

This is absolutely the wrong shit to be publishing post 9-11 with TIA and Homeland Security in full effect. Of course it doesn't matter if anyone gets killed doing this, they're American. This is absolute bullshit. This is the same fucked up reasoning used by extremists in the US to bomb abortion clinics and kill the workers there in order to save lives.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've had a problem with this kind of nonsense since the early days of the save the trees folks pounding spikes into trees in hopes of causing chainsaw chains to break and injure loggers.

I know that at some level it's wrong to do so, but I can't help but laugh my head off every time one of the treesitters falls off his/her perch.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-22-2003, 04:36 PM   #4
jaguar
whig

ELF are fucking nuts.
So is logging old growth forests.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:45 AM   #5
Nightsong
Wang Dude

This is such a bunch of shit it makes me sick to think that people will try anything to get attention. I believe these people can be given 2 options in those situations:
1. Laeve this country!!!!
2. Stand up on a wall and get shot.
Freedom of speech is fine and dandy but then you go and spit out basically do riots and violent act but shy away strike hard,fast and run and most importantly do not get caught the average idiot will think yay that won't happen to me so I will do more than what was said. This guy is giving all those punks out there an excuse to do what ever they damn well please because it might help stop a war. I have to quit writing now for I am getting so mad that soon my writing will not make sense.....
Nightsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:55 AM   #6
russotto
Professor

He's basically right. The "anti-war" movement is completely ineffectual, and massive direct action would be effective (though with obvious side effects), if only because it would force the US to turn its military upon itself. But it won't happen.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:44 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Oh yeah...this guy is just begging to have the FBI kick his door in and have a nice "talk" with him.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:55 PM   #8
lawman
unerringly questioning

Came across this the other day - and I've researched it, the quote was made... rather timeless with orange alerts, Homeland Secutiry, and Bush...
--------
And here are words of warning: Though they were never intended as such, they ought to remind us of the perils we face not only from enemies who would destroy us but from leaders who would destroy our enemies.

<b>“Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”</b>
---------
Kinda chilling, isn't it?
Who said that? Hitler’s accomplice, Hermann Goering (commander of the German Air Force and president of the Reichstag), at the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war criminals in 1946.
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by lawman
And here are words of warning: Though they were never intended as such, they ought to remind us of the perils we face not only from enemies who would destroy us but from leaders who would destroy our enemies.
Same reason why the military intentionally put so many key assets in the National Guard and Reserves. So that people would think twice before letting leaders hype the country into a war - a war with no smoking gun. VietNam was suppose to be the lesson that too many today did not learn. If one did not read the Pentagon Papers or equivalent texts, then one only set himself up to become a pawn, again, or a corrupt leadership.

Military's plan did not work. We got ourselves into wars we had no business being into - Somolia and Iraq. Using reasoning of the current administration, we will attack Sierra Leon, Liberia, Niger, Zimbawbe, Pakistan, India, North Korea, Indonesia, Columiba, and maybe even Philippines. Too many still get hyped by the excitement of war rather than learn lessons even taught in the game called "Risk".

One need not read a quote from Goering. We have examples in our own history specific to how one gets into war for the wrong reasons. It was called VietNam.

"Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming; We're finally on our own; This summer I hear the calling; Four dead in O..Hio. Four dead in Ohio. " If this song does not bring a chill down your back, then you probably did not learn the lessons of VietNam. About every 30 years we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of history because youngsters (those less than 30) didn't learn from history. It is easy to make a war monger. Hype him on explosive weapons and righteousness rather than the realities in non-fiction. We are at war in Iraq for the same reasons we attacked VietNam. Number one reason in that list - preemption. The need to attack another before he can be a threat. Just as the Nazis did. Same reason we got into VietNam.

Famous book - "Making of a Quagmire". Another - "Ugly American". Still apply today.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
"Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming; We're finally on our own; This summer I hear the calling; Four dead in O..Hio. Four dead in Ohio. " If this song does not bring a chill down your back, then you probably did not learn the lessons of VietNam.
I have 4-Way Street on vinyl.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:29 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My aging hippy musician friends and I often play "Ohio" in our frequent 'we know some part of a whole lot of songs' sessions.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:51 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

warch trumps you all. She went to KSU.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:10 AM   #13
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

Pulling out the Bible card

What scares me the most is that in ALL the prophecies of the Bible not one of them mentions the United States Or any country like the United States. Wich would indicate that at some point The States get De-World Powered and I Think this war is the start of it.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 01:08 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: Pulling out the Bible card

Yeah, but Nostradamus said stuff about us, and his prophecies are more recent than the biblical ones. His are the update edition.

Hmmm. Might be time to reread those Hopi prophesies, though. We have time yet. The Mayan Calendar doesn't end it's current cycle until 12/21/2012.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:20 PM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Pulling out the Bible card

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitmap
What scares me the most is that in ALL the prophecies of the Bible not one of them mentions the United States Or any country like the United States. Wich would indicate that at some point The States get De-World Powered ...
Since the bible does not mention Capt Kirk or Starship Enterprise, then you know the bible is flawed.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote