The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Clodfobble foodblogs

In support of Ibby, hopefully somewhat inspiring her to sneak in some more produce, and also to answer the eternal question I get of "But what does your family eat?" So starting this morning (and this part is identical almost every single morning):

7:00 AM - 2 bananas, 1 cup of goat yogurt (from a local farm and fermented for 24 hours after pasteurization,) about 2 Tablespoons of honey. All in one bowl.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
7:00 AM - 2 bananas, 1 cup of goat yogurt (from a local farm and fermented for 24 hours after pasteurization,) about 2 Tablespoons of honey. All in one bowl.
Does everybody get the same thing, even you and hubby? Does everybody eat out of one bowl, or does each person get 2 bananas, etc.? Is goat yogurt similar to Greek yogurt? Am I just a little too curious?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Clodfobble

Not too curious at all; I do my best to shut up about food because I know it's a pretty major facet of my life. (Not a millstone around my neck, I keep telling myself, a facet of my life. Anyhoo...)

What I'm listing is just me and my food. The kids are on a very specialized regimen right now, with almost no variety. (Actually, there's been a lot of healing in the last six months, and they're just recently starting to ease back into a few fruits without a return of symptoms, so fingers crossed--but that's another story.) Mr. Clod usually skips breakfast.

Greek yogurt is just regular cow's milk yogurt that has been strained an extra time, and sometimes had more salt added. The straining removes more of the liquid portion of the milk, so the result is higher in protein (because it took more milk to make it) and lower in carbs/sugar (because the lactose is in the liquid, whch is being removed.) The result is less sweet to begin with, since there's less lactose, and then the added salt is just kind of a cultural flavoring thing, I think.

Goat yogurt starts with goat's milk, which has a very different nutritional profile from cow's milk. Just one comparison: cow's milk is roughly 86% casein (a protein people can have problems digesting,) while goat's milk is 2%. Human breastmilk is far more similar to goat's milk than cow's milk. Other than that, it's prepared the same way. Pasteurize the goat's milk, add in the good bacteria cultures, let them ferment. Grocery-store yogurts of either animal usually skip most of the fermentation and add thickeners--like chicory, inulin, guar gum, that sort of thing--because it's cheaper and faster than letting the bacteria thicken the yogurt the old-fashioned way. On the other hand, even the dirty hippies have limits to their patience, so a 24-hour ferment is the most you're likely to find from a local farm, and the result is still more drinkable than eatable.

Also, goat's milk is very tart, like goat cheese. Hence the honey to sweeten it.

And while we're at it:

10:00 AM - a pear, and several swigs of chocolate almond milk. I'm the only one in the house who drinks it, and I'm a busy woman, so yes, I just drink it out of the carton. Sue me.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

What was in your breakfast that wasn't ok for the kids?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Clodfobble

Bananas - Minifob reacts very badly to them. Sudden extreme hyperactivity, verbal stimming, no ability to focus... They've been on his no-no list for years. Minifobette can tolerate them, but they constipate her, which is an ongoing problem and we don't need to make it worse.

Yogurt - even 2% casein is no good for them. They have to be completely dairy-free. There are some kids in our same GI situation who are eventually able to tolerate goat yogurt after they're fully in remission, but so far that's not us.

Honey - they can both have honey.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I'm the only one in the house who drinks it, and I'm a busy woman, so yes, I just drink it out of the carton. Sue me.
If everybody drinking from a container is kissing each other,(not to mention adult stuff ), what difference does it make? Mom's prerogative, I say.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If everybody drinking from a container is kissing each other,(not to mention adult stuff ), what difference does it make? Mom's prerogative, I say.
[thread drift]

Twil and I had a great roadtrip this weekend where we had dinner with friends at a vegan restaurant, Herbivore, in Berkeley. The food, especially the roasted vegetables, was delicious. Twil's friend, M, a dedicated vegan of some years standing chose the restaurant and fielded many questions about the vegan life. In particular, I asked about several entries on the menu that said "chicken" or "beef". M said Herbivore was something of a starter experience for those easing into vegan life and items like this have absolutely no chicken or beef, but are named that way to give some frame of reference to the uninitiated who might not be familiar with seitan for example. The idea is that no animal products are used in the dish, though you might compare it to chicken or beef.

This aspect of veganism interested me and I asked about milk, since yogurt was also prominently featured on the menu. M said this was made with some other kind of milk, almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk, but was otherwise processed and treated the same way. Huh, no milk either. I wondered about babies and asked if veganism was an adult choice, since babies are made to thrive on breast milk. It is helpful to know that Twil, M, and S are all hardcore breastfeeding advocates. M handled the question and said, human breast milk is not considered contrary to veganism since it is consumed by humans and comes from humans. Ok, ok.

S, Twil's other friend at the dinner, started to say something, thought better of it, blushed and grinned madly. In this group that would not do. Out with it, and she did. The topic of "placenta parties" was what she was wondering about. M needed a bit of an explanation, but once she understood, she said she thought it was gross, but not a "violation" of veganism, (though it might be considered cannibalism). In support of her opinion, she gave the example of oral sex (just a mention, not a demonstration) as "kosher" for vegan consumption. Up to then, I hadn't realize how vegan-friendly my lifestyle's been.

Like I said, dinner was great, and the food was delicious too. This was a lively, open-minded group and though I was the new guy, I felt right at home, right away. A great group of friends, and so educational!

[/thread drift]
Old 09-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
In support of her opinion, she gave the example of oral sex (just a mention, not a demonstration) as "kosher" for vegan consumption.
According to my ex-boyfriend whose father was a rabbi, semen is also literally kosher. [/thread drift]

1:00 - Leftover curry (rice, chicken, potatoes, red bell peppers, onions, coconut milk, plus spices.)

3:25 - Leftover chicken salad (chicken, celery, cranberries, pears, mayo)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
According to my ex-boyfriend whose father was a rabbi, semen is also literally kosher. [/thread drift]
...and a blowjob is a mitzvah (good deed). Not really.

Apparently some Jewish people are as adept at self serving interpretation of scripture as some Christian people.

Ask two Jews a question and you will get three opinions. Here is one:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/.../t-352612.html
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Clodfobble

5:00 PM - two almond flour cookies

8:30 PM - stir fry (rice, beef, mushrooms, cherries, hoisin-based sauce.)

7:30 AM - goat yogurt and honey on a banana (just one this morning, it was rather large... nyuck nyuck nyuck...)
Old 09-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Clodfobble

10:00 AM - bowl of rice chex, blueberries, almond milk

1:30 PM - more leftover green curry
Old 09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Yum, I like anything goat* and curries too.

(* except that goat butter has been disappointing tastewise)
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:

1:00 - Leftover curry (rice, chicken, potatoes, red bell peppers, onions, coconut milk, plus spices.)

3:25 - Leftover chicken salad (chicken, celery, cranberries, pears, mayo)
Makes me wonder who was actually the one proselytizing...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
Clodfobble

5:00 - more almond flour cookies, 2 small apples, raw peanut butter, honey.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Clodfobble

8:30 PM - Jalapeno fried shrimp (gluten-free, from a frozen package,) green beans, french dressing

9:00 AM - banana, goat yogurt, honey