Old 11-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #31
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

A compelling Trump theory.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #32
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
For the second time in 16 years the popular vote is discarded in favor of the electoral college vote.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #33
Happy Monkey

The argument is that people in the gray areas should have extra voting power because of all the acres?
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #34
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

It's very much like the Game of Risk, isn't it? Some territories are worth more, some are easier to defend. You have to be strategic of what territories you want to concentrate on. Just having more armies won't get you to total world domination.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #35
glatt

That's just a map that shows where the people live.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #36
glatt

I wanted to see how much of a hit my 401K took when trump got elected, so I checked.

Turns out it went up 1.36 percent that day. If it did that every day for a year, I could retire next fall.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #37
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I wonder if Obama is going to give Clinton a presidential pardon before Trump is sworn in?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:06 PM   #38
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Wouldn't that be some shit. Kablooey
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #39
Happy Monkey

Since there isn't a particular crime, it would have to be a Nixon-style "whatever happened" pardon.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #40
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

She would be pardoned for official misconduct, which has already been established, to preempt being charged with a crime.

So far her defense for sending sensitive information through nongovernment channels when it should have been classified (it subsequently was) and sent through government channels has been Other people did it too.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #41
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The prosecutors are going to use the If other people jumped off the Golden Gate bridge would you do it too? offense.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #42
chrisinhouston
Professor

This has been an interesting week indeed! My wife and I consider ourselves independents, we have always cast a mixed ballot based on research of candidates and their policies and backgrounds. This year we voted with absentee mail in ballots which was great; my wife is 65 and needs no other reason, I claimed disability. For the first time in our lives we just voted a straight D ticket. Never done that but just decided that even if Hillary did not win it would help down the ballot and for our area-Houston and Harris County, TX it did. Quite a few Republicans lost in the local elections.

But we live in an extremely conservative part of the city, probably 90% Republican and leaning towards the Tea Party types. It's been interesting to sit back and observe and listen to what my neighbors say. And I kind of had a feeling this would happen based on what I heard. The funny thing is all the people where I live were clamoring for a Washington outsider yet they hated Jimmy Carter as President and he was an outsider who tried to shake up Washington. Could be interesting.

Not sure how this will all turn out. It's very easy to shout from the sidelines during a campaign but once Trump is in the driver's seat it will be a whole different thing. And one side of me wonders if he can make it for 4 years. He will find out really fast that you can't fire folks you don't like except maybe members of your cabinet. And you can't declare bankruptcy when financial issues go south. I really wonder if he will make it or will he just resign when he gets tired of it or maybe be impeached over something. Hard to predict but he really only cares about himself so he is likely to self destruct. That would put Pence in the driver's seat and I'm not sure if I like him less than Trump!

My own family is kind of like the voters of this nation. I have 5 kids. The older 2 sons are both conservative. One is a born again hard core evangelical. He and his wife even stopped at the Creation Museum in Kentucky at the end of their honeymoon! Second son is a big fan of Breitbart news and all the right wing talking heads. My next 2 kids are my daughters who are both very liberal. And my youngest son is a Reagan Republican who always votes party line. So I guess it sort of mirrors the country right now, leaning right to hard right.

I figure that I have lived through 8 years of Nixon, then Reagan and even 8 years of GW Bush. I think this will be the worst but the nation is a big ship and it won't sink easily.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #43
be-bop
Operations Operative

Talking

Looking at the result from the UK, I'm completely baffled on how your system works Clinton gets more votes than Trump but loses the election because of the electoral colleges ?
I've tried to read how it works perhaps someone could explain in layman's terms the way the system works.
Does anyone think that Trump didn't think he would really win and now he's thinking WTF do I do now
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #44
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Say you have a sport league and North plays against South in a best-of-five series for the championship.

Game one North with 55-3.
Game two South wins 20-17.
Game three South wins 30-24.
Game four North wins 33-0.
Game five South wins 22-19.

South wins the series, despite having been dramatically outscored, because it's the games that count; and the strategy is oriented around winning games and not just getting a lot of points.

And despite seeming anti-democratic, it is thought that one should not rule the entire country without having broad appeal. Just winning the cities, for example, is not enough; nor is it enough to broadly win just the East or something.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The original thinking behind the Electoral College was that geographic diversity was important. The Founding Fathers were not majoritarian, but rather they believed in placing special weight on diversity of this kind. The prevailing view was “if too many (geographically) diverse voices veto you, you can’t get elected, not even with a majority of the votes.”