The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #46
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

hmmm. Just a thought: I hate the campus police. They were no where to be found when a student (male) was kidnapped and carjacked--he managed to get out of his van when the perps got downtown (quite a ways from campus) this happened at 6pm when the parking lot is pretty effing empty. HOWEVER, these same police are there in a second to ticket someone who parks illegally (a 50.00$ fine; parking permits also cost 50.00).

I hate them.

that said, knowing that these people are wannabe's, I'd do what they asked and throw in plenty of "sir's" and "ma'am's". They require that. easy-peasy.\

Kid lacks life experience. Doesn't mean he needs to be tased. He just needs to get a life. Reminds me of Python: "Now we see the violence inherit in the system!"
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #47
Flint
Snowflake

ha ha ha! you're on fire today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
"Now we see the violence inherit in the system!"
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #48
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If everyone is certain there is a libertarian crisis, there is no libertarian crisis. A libertarian crisis happens when we are not concerned and not paying attention.

I was in the Libertarian Party and I was real concerned about getting the word out on the various libertarian crises happening all around us every day. You could not blink and not see another one. They were all around us. From the Polish immigrant who lost all the value of his land and thus his savings, when his backyard was declared a "wetlands" and it wasn't; to the FBI sniper shooting an innocent man's wife between the eyes at Ruby Ridge; to the average tax rate increasing from 10% to 50% over 70 years. My God, Can These Things Happen In America?

Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I notice that these are mostly not horrible trends and crises, but pockets of incompetency, injustice, How The System Actually Works, and plain old "shit happens". When combined with a little of my naivete at how things work, these became mountains.

So I guess my advice is, Don't Panic
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:50 AM   #49
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Kid lacks life experience. Doesn't mean he needs to be tased. He just needs to get a life. Reminds me of Python: "Now we see the violence inherit in the system!"
I'll take your Python and raise you a Ghostbuster:
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"
Old 11-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #50
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
If everyone is certain there is a libertarian crisis, there is no libertarian crisis. A libertarian crisis happens when we are not concerned and not paying attention.
If you define "everyone" as a small pocket of habitual internet debaters, and the alarmist, but obscure, journalistic pieces they quote, then sure, "everyone" is concerned and paying attention. I simply question whether you can project your own personal alertness on the rest of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
So I guess my advice is, Don't Panic
Not panicking out of ignorance isn't the same as an informed person, like yourself, not panicking.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I would like to see the 10 minutes before that video starts, which would give the situational context to understand why the Taser was used.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #52
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
If a crossing guard tells you to pat your head while rubbing your belly, you do it? ...
No, but if she told me to stay on the sidewalk, and I crossed the street anyway, I would expect to get tasered in my ass.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #53
Torrere
a real smartass

Why were they doing random student id checks in the library in the first place? Do you have to be 21 now before you can study at a library table, or something like that?
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #54
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Is this tale more popular?

Samuel told all the words of the LORD to the people who were asking him for a king. He said, "This is what the king who will reign over you will do: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plough his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. Your menservants and maidservants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use. He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, and the LORD will not answer you in that day." (I Samuel 8:7-18)

I'd say we were warned.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #55
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrere
Why were they doing random student id checks in the library in the first place? Do you have to be 21 now before you can study at a library table, or something like that?
I don't know how things work there, but am assuming on a fairly open campus they do spot checks to make sure people using the facilities are actually students.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
No, but if she told me to stay on the sidewalk, and I crossed the street anyway, I would expect to get tasered in my ass.
You would! Tasered? Man, when I become an evil tyrant I want you as one of my subjects.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #57
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Kid plans lawsuit

via Fark:
Quote:
An account of a UCLA-student message board from someone who witnessed the event:

"Yes, I was indeed at Powell Library at approximately 11:30 on Tuesday night, and yes I did see the entire event as it went down.

Let me start off by saying that the guy DEFINITELY was asking to get his ass kicked. He was being extremely rude with the campus patrol guys (who are college students...this was before the real UCPD got called in). He was not complying with their requests to leave the premises, and he was definitely itching for a fight. I actually know the guy and a few of his friends, and I can tell you that he's the kind of guy that loves to make trouble.

Just as a little backstory, one of the quotes the guy has on his facebook (which he now has taken down) was "I like to find the most difficult solutions to the simplest of problems".
via that LA Times story
Quote:
UCLA also said that Tabatabainejad refused repeated requests by a community service officer and regular campus police to provide identification or to leave.
He said that Tabatabainejad, when asked for his ID after 11 p.m. Tuesday, declined because he thought he was being singled out because of his Middle Eastern appearance. Yagman said Tabatabainejad is of Iranian descent but is a U.S.-born resident of Los Angeles.

The lawyer said Tabatabainejad eventually decided to leave the library but when an officer refused the student's request to take his hand off him, the student fell limp to the floor, again to avoid participating in what he considered a case of racial profiling. After police started firing the Taser, Tabatabainejad tried to "get the beating, the use of brutal force, to stop by shouting and causing people to watch. Generally, police don't want to do their dirties in front of a lot of witnesses."
Of course, none of this excuses any kind of bad police work by bad cops.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If he's on the ground, refusing to get up and leave, how is tasering him so he can't get up going to help?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #59
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Just because it gets my knickers in a twist:
"Now you see the violence inherent in the system."
Old 11-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #60
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
If he's on the ground, refusing to get up and leave, how is tasering him so he can't get up going to help?
Didn't you ever give your little brother a pinch to shut him up and ended up creating more racket?

Not that I'm advocating that as a recommended approach for law enforcement. Sigh - it didn't work then and it doesn't work now.