The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 12-28-2002, 09:18 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sycamore's new playtoy: Motorola T720 wireless phone

For several months now, Rho and I have discussed getting a second cell phone. I personally have not had a cell phone since I moved to DC three years ago. My cellular phone company at the time (Ameritech) had been bought by Bell Atlantic (now Verizon), but the switchover had not yet taken place. My phone would therefore be useless (since I would be out of "home" range), and I turned it off. Since then, Rho and I have shared her cell phone, with it being carried primarily by the person who is driving the car to and from work. (I had the phone most of this year, until Rho started her new job out in the suburbs...she carries it now.)

Granted, a cell phone is a sort-of luxury. However, given Rho's health condition and the fact that I don't really have a work phone, nor does Rho (since we're both temping), I thought it was sensible for each of us to have a phone. In addition, we've had the same phone plan for over 3 years now...antiquated as hell (no mobile-to-mobile minutes, no free-nights-and-weekends stuff, it was costing us to "roam").

Recently, Verizon has been hawking some decent deals (free long distance, mobile-to-mobile minutes, free nights and weekends). In addition, if you signed a new two year deal, you got the new Motorola T720 phone for $59.99 (after $100 mail-in rebate), plus a second phone (the Motorola 120e) free. Rho's phone is ancient by today's standards. And from what I've seen, Motorola has made some big improvements in their phone line recently. (Their older model Nextel phones sucked...and they were good at passing the buck on "warranty issues.") Since the T720 has a ton of capabilities, I thought it would be nice for me to have while commuting. So, 2 weeks ago, we strolled up to the Verizon Wireless store and got the hook up.

We now have two phones, 400 anytime minutes, 1000 mobile-to-mobile minutes (like if we call each other or other Verizon users), free nights and weekends, and text messaging (mainly for Rho...if she needs to tells me something, but can't call me, since she cannot talk on the phone at her job) for $66 or so dollars a month...with taxes, it'll probably be $75. It seems like a lot, but this is how I see it: Our long distance phone bill will drop because Rho can use the cell phone to call her friends and parents in Baltimore, and I can do the same with the peeps in St. Louis. In addition, we were paying almost $40 a month for very little on Rho's old plan. Therefore, the cost will be offset in the end.

So enough of that...let's talk about my bitchin' phone.

Here is a scan I did of the phone...I'd say it's maybe 1 1/2 times the size of the actual phone (if you're looking at this in 1024x768):

It's a flip phone, but the size when closed is about 5 inches or so...it fits nicely in my pocket. I can't get a good scan of the color screen, but here is the product page for it, from Motorola. Sharp as can be. Battery life is pretty good...91 minutes of talk time, or a week on standby. And it charges very quickly...a full charge takes maybe 4 hours from zero.

Now let's talk about some of the neat features of the phone...

First, we have the datebook with alarm feature. Some may think this is no big deal, or that it is a pain to try and type stuff using a cell phone. Let me say first that I haven't had a cell phone (other than my Nextel for work) in over 3 years, so I'm pretty much amazed by anything on these newer phones. Secondly, I tend to be a quick typer, and I mastered typing on this phone pretty quickly...it's super simple to me. (For now at least. Carpal tunnel and arthritis are going to continue to ravage my hands, so ask me again how easy it is in 20 years.)

Then, we have the Quick Notes feature, which contains several pre-written text messages...and you can add your own. Another nice feature to use when communicating with Rho.

I haven't signed up for mobile web...I think it's $5 a month with Verizon. We'll see...again, the typing feature is easy to me, so I might go with it.

My favorite things though are the downloadable ringtones and games. I've only downloaded one ring ("Strangelove" by Depeche Mode...go figure!) and two games thus far, for they cost money. I don't want to go crazy and download a bunch of rings and games and see my bill go through the roof. But I'm addicted to Jamdat Bowling at the moment. I'll keep playing it until I bowl a 300 game and a 900 series. It's not overly hard to play...the trick is trying to play it while you're riding along a rough patch of track on the train. It makes the games interesting.

In the end, I highly recommend it. It makes my life a little more fun. And when combined with pimpin' coat, it just makes me rule that much more.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 12-28-2002 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:30 AM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Looks like a good deal Syc. I like the size and the battery/talk time duration.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:20 AM   #3
elSicomoro

(The image might not be showing up at the moment...it should later though)

Oh, I forgot another feature, which folks like Slang might appreciate.

There is a GPS option. If I want to use the On Star-like services that are offered through Verizon, I can turn it on. If I don't want people tracking me, it can be set to "911 only" (so they can find me if slang has a few too many and shoots me out in the middle of nowhere).

Verizon has great coverage as well. Most of the continental US and Hawaii are covered under the free long distance. (There are some spots where you're roaming, like parts out west, eastern Kentucky, and Alaska.) I'd recommend them particularly if you live in the Northeast or in the Midwest (St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit). If you live out west or in the South, you might be better off with Cingular.

There is only one bad thing (if you can really call it that) about this whole deal--the cell phone insurance.

Verizon now uses Lockton nationwide for their cell phone insurance. They used to use my former employer, The Signal. As Verizon Wireless merged together (Verizon Wireless is primarily a combination of Bell Atlantic Mobile, GTE, Vodafone's US operations, and Ameritech's cell phone operations), they started switching their customers over to Lockton. The cost of the insurance is $7 a month, and there is a $50 deductible if your phone needs replacing. I pay the insurance b/c the way I see it, in the event that my phone gets damaged, I won't be able to afford the $350 regular price of the phone. We don't pay it on Rho's phone, b/c her phone is only $60 or so retail. Here's the rub: You only get 2 lifetime replacements. If your phone has to be replaced twice, you are dropped from the insurance.

Now, that might sound silly to some of you. Who the hell has to have their phone replaced twice? Having worked in the cell phone insurance industry though, you'd be surprised how careless some people can be. I remember several customers that lost or damaged their phone 3 times in just one year. (And this doesn't even include business customers...especially construction workers.) You just never really know when you might need that insurance...just like car insurance. If you have a higher end phone (like mine, or a Nokia 8000 series), get it. It's worth it.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:47 AM   #4
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I would like the GPS option if it would allow you to input coordinates for given locations , say in the deep woods. Then you could find the remote locations you buried munitions without tree tags or such. That would be helpful.

I don't shoot people either, yet. At least until the second civil war officially is declared.

And OOOOH the insurance whores are happy about cell phone insurance (and TV, computer, video game, blender, shoe, wiper blade or any other type of BS policy they can think of.) You are free to do as you wish , of course, this will be a free country until Poindexter mans the BHS agency. But, slang would take $50 bucks (the deductible) and hid it in a book or something. Then every month put 10 bucks in the same book and keep it should I need to replace my cellphone That way, there is something for me to lose by being careless or not maintaining the phone. The reward is, at the end of 2 years you take the money out of the book and buy the next phone, IF you are carefull with it.

I have definite issues with insurance companies.

You have a really cool phone though and I hope it works well and you enjoy it.

Last edited by slang; 12-28-2002 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:54 AM   #5
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
I have definite issues with insurance companies.
So I noticed.

After 2 years, I can upgrade to a newer phone. (I would imagine it's a deal similar to what we just did.) If cell phones keep evolving as they have, my current phone should be obsolete right about...now.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:57 AM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

(slang is also resisting to post his rant against the obsolete, overpaid whores associated with the phone company. I dont want to litter your thread.)
Old 12-28-2002, 12:08 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Syc showed me this phone in person when he stopped by my place for a little computer work.

I rarely have phone envy but let me tell you, this thing is the shit.

The design is great. The flip, the buttons, the display all come together very well. The display is amazingly bright. The secondary display on the outside for status and caller-id is convenient.

I have been utterly skeptical of text messaging. But when Syc pulled out the phone and selected a quickie message of something like "I'll be ten minutes late" to Lady Syc without having to do any typing, suddenly it made perfect sense. We barely had to stop our own conversation and he had sent an important note with ease.

I'm on the "new every 2" plan and while I love my current phone, this Moto has me thinking, and at least happy that they are continuing to really push the envelope on this stuff. It's a lot of fun.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:15 PM   #8
elSicomoro

This new phone reaffirms my faith in Motorola. I had two Motorola phones when I lived in St. Louis that were fine, but I lost a lot of respect for them in dealing with them and their Nextel phones (not to mention they've been taking a beating with job cuts and what not). I started seeing the newer Nextel phones (i90c, i50, the redesigned i1000plus) before I left Signal, and they weren't bad. Then I saw some of the newer phones they were offering for the other carriers and was even more impressed. This T720 has sold me...it should give the Finns, Koreans, etc. a run for their money.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:29 PM   #9
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

The more I look at this phone, the more I want one and I 1) almost never talk on the phone and 2) dont have the coverage for cellphones in this area.

Hell, I might just buy one just to play Star Trek.....(flips phone open) 1 to beam up.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:46 PM   #10
elSicomoro

What I've noticed since getting the phone is:

--I DO use it more than I used the old phone, yet...

--I tend to watch my call times and battery meter very carefully

--I try not to use it on the bus or train, so that I don't look like many of the crackheads that do (though that could be just the fact that they're Philadelphians on phones)...if I need to tell Rho something, I'll shoot her a text message (like if the train is running late).

--I tend to "show emotion" when I'm playing games (e.g. Shouting "Yes!" if I get a strike on bowling, though it's more of a loud whisper)

--I get a lot of strange looks when I'm sitting at Market East Station, waiting for the train, playing with the datebook or a game.

I don't really talk a lot on the phone either, but with the new phone and plan, I can:

--Call anyone without disconnecting my modem (and if it's after 9pm or a weekend or holiday, it's free).

--Call someone while I'm out of town without racking up LD charges (e.g. I was able to speak to my Mom and other family members on Wednesday, and didn't have to use my in-laws' phone or LD)

--Call Dave in DC for free (since I believe he has a Verizon phone too, and I have 1000 mobile to mobile minutes that I will almost never use in one month)

--Call people in the Philadelphia suburbs (including NJ and DE) w/o local toll charges appearing on my home phone bill

Every now and then, I actually do something smart.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:00 PM   #11
elSicomoro

One thing that I did fail to mention is the quality of calls--what a vast improvement over the past few years. You still have the "tin can effect" at times, but as a whole, very good reception.
Old 12-28-2002, 03:20 PM   #12
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Apparently there are drawbacks to getting a T720 from Verizon vs. AT&T, if you wanted to program it yourself. Verizon locks you up so you can only use the proprietary (and expensive) BREW language; AT&T supports Java.

http://www.colinfahey.com/2002dec14_...phone_apps.htm

Old 01-11-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
elSicomoro

It's an interesting read, though I personally wouldn't go with AT&T Wireless.

I'm passing on the wireless web for now. It uses airtime and costs $7 extra a month. Given the way my life works right now, it would be a seldom-used extra expense.

But I did discover a new function on the phone--a voice recorder--by accident. Perhaps I'll sit down and look at the manual in greater detail today.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #14
elSicomoro

A few mild complaints:

--My phone acts a bit weird here in the apartment. I would say that the apartment has dead zones, but it doesn't...more like times where the phone works fine, and other times where it doesn't. This used to happen all the time with Rho's old phone.

--My text messaging has been acting screwy the past week or so. Sometimes, my messages to Rho don't go through...other times, they go through 3 or 4 times.

--The charger port is tempermental.

--The accessories seem expensive: $20 for 2 phone covers, $50 for the FM stereo device. Not that I was planning to run out and get them now, but I wouldn't mind getting them down the line. I would imagine that knockoffs (i.e. not made by Moto) will be coming out shortly.

Overall, I'm still happy as can be. Been working on the bowling...so far, I've got a 258 high game and a 650 high series. I may download a new game next billing period, like Tiger Woods Golf. And I picked up a new ring tone from Modtones: System of a Down's "Chop Suey!"

(Now this IS where that programming issue comes into play. With AT&T, you can pick up ringtones from just about anywhere. With Verizon, you really only have Ringster and Modtones. Modtones has some good stuff though, and AT&T's service isn't that great, from what I've seen and heard.)
Old 01-11-2003, 08:42 PM   #15
dave

Two things -

One, this phone is definitely pretty cool. I have the Samsung A310 and it's pimp. Not *as* cool, but this one wasn't available when I got it.

Second -

FUCK! Syc, with the fire and everything, I forgot about setting up the DNS for your domain. Re-email me the stuff and then call me on Monday during work hours. I'll get it set up.