The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 10-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Cloud

Any bloggers out there?

who have a blog using Blogger, Wordpress.com, Wordpress.net, or anything like that? Experienced bloggers?

ETA: BTW, I did a search, and the most recent thread I could find on this topic was over 3 years ago. Guess most of us get our dailynet thru forums etc.

I'm in the planning stages of a consumer blog for piercings (which I think I did mention before). I'm pretty bad at some internet stuff, so I'll probably start out with Blogger or Wordpress.com (not Wordpress.org). I want my own domain name though, which I think I can manage with either of these.

Last edited by Cloud; 10-31-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Clone thread:
Any boogers out there?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Cloud

gee, that's helpful.

ETA: Sorry. that was probably uncalled for.

Last edited by Cloud; 10-31-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: abject groveling
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Cloud, what's your exact question(s)? Are you wondering which software to use? Where to host it? etc.?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Cloud

well, these are among the questions I'm considering right now.

--hosted or unhosted? I'd like to do unhosted, but I think it's gonna be too much for me at the moment.

--if hosted, Blogger or Wordpress.com? I'm leaning toward Wordpress.com (Wordpress.org is the best unhosted solution out there, but again, I don't think I have the skills needed to start out with)

--if you have an unhosted blog, have you gotten your own domain name on there, instead of just xxxx@blogspot.com.

--general knowledge; i.e., if you have a blog at all, can I take a look at it? Would you be willing to offer opinions on naming, etc.?

--are there blogs you follow a lot?

--do you even know what a blog is?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have a blog at Blogspot.com. I'm hardly "experienced" though, I just occasionally update with whatever thoughts are roaming around in my head. I wish I could offer more help but I'm barely a newbie in the blogosphere.

Brian
Old 11-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I've got a fairly active blog, and host a very, very active podcast. All told, I run about 30 sites, all on wordpress.

If this is for a commercial endeavor, you ABSOLUTELY need to host it on your own domain. If you commit to a hosted blog on wordpress.com, you give away all of the accrued value of your blog address.

If you go with one of their recommended hosts, you can install wordpress with just a click of a button. If you go with dreamhost, I can walk you through the process. Shoot me a PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I use Wordpress.com. It does everything I need and more. If you need to do certain things you pay a little bit. I used to use Blogger.com. That was a couple years ago, and it blew goats.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
If this is for a commercial endeavor, you ABSOLUTELY need to host it on your own domain. If you commit to a hosted blog on wordpress.com, you give away all of the accrued value of your blog address.
Would you please explain more fully about this? it's not for a commercial endeavor. It has the potential to make a little money I think, but that's not it's primary purpose.

One of the reasons I've just about decided to start with Wordpress.com is that if I decide later I want the full WordPress.org experience, I figure it might be easier to convert.

It's not the initial setting up with the host, etc., I'm worried about, it's the subsequent fiddling around with bells and whistles I don't have the technical skills for. I've got other "semi-blogs"--livejournal, and IAMBME, and I'm not good and adding, rearranging, etc.

I can't even seem to understand basic things about digital pics, and it's driving me crazy!

. .. er.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I misunderstood - I thought this was primarily going to be an income generating blog for you. If that's not the primary purpose, then going with a hosted solution like wordpress.com is absolutely fine.

By accrued value, I meant the number of people who associate your blog with your blog address, the number of links to that address, and the google ranking for your blog's address in response to certain search terms.

If you commit yourself to a blog address that has the hosting provider in the domain name (ilovecats.wordpress.com) instead of owning the domain and hosting yourself (ilovecats.com), then you're stuck with that hosting provider. If you decide to switch platforms later, or to move domain names to your own address, then you lose all of that accrued value of the blog address.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Someone explain the differences between wordpress and blogger. I've had blogger for like 500 years and have never had a problem with it. I'm curious as to if it's a superior system or just another system for blogging.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Cloud

that's primarily what I'm worried about. I'm fretting over the user name, blog name, and all--I don't want to start out with a mistake.

To be clear, this will be a blog aimed at consumer information for people interested in piercing, to include what to look for in a piercer, how to keep yourself safe from disease, how to choose jewelry, etc. I have an established presence under the name "Cloud" already in the bodymod community. There is the potential for at least click throughs or sponsorship from jewelry retailers, but again, my primary purpose is informational.

But there seems to be an option of using your own domain name even in WordPress.com. I don't really want xxxx.wordpress.com name. Here's what it says:

Quote:
Be the master of your domain

Custom domainYour WordPress.com blog address is a sure sign of style, but what happens when you really get serious about controlling your online identity? It’s easy to add your own domain name, like example.com, to your existing WordPress.com blog. Or if you already have your own domain name, it’s easy to transfer it to your WordPress.com blog. Registering a domain name with us is only $15/year, and mapping an existing domain name is $10/year.
I don't mind paying extra for this. what do you think?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

that sounds like a very reasonable option.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Cloud

well, okay then!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #15
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

That's what I do and it works fine. The one issue is that you can't install your own plugins and themes.

Sycamore, I probably wouldn't migrate from Blogger to Wordpress unless there were some specific features I wanted. In my opinion Blogger (along with LiveJournal) is amateur where Wordpress and Movable Type are more professional. There are other platforms that are even more powerful and professional, but really not so much for the average user that just wants to blog.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote