The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #16
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
you are jalous about french fashion
No, just trying to make a joke. I didn't know the French equivalent of Richard Simmons so I did a google search for French gay guys and there you have it.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:28 PM   #17
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

God Save The Queen

She Ain't No 'uman Being.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:11 PM   #18
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The Sex Pistols loved the queen.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Well, hell...no wonder it is so hard to hire a new one! Your termination procedures are waayyyyy too strict!

??? don't understand
my sentence is not correct ??

Elspode was making a joke, as if you "fired" your king from his job, but instead of giving him 2 months' salary (or I hear in France it's like 8 months salary if you get laid off, isn't it?) and sending him on his way, you chop his head off. No one else would ever want to apply for the "job" of king for fear of getting fired.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:14 PM   #20
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Kikoo

??? don't understand
my sentence is not correct ??
Episode was just making a joke about the way the French monarchs met their end in the French revolution. You know, the guillotine and all. Don't worry about your English. Its a 1000 times better than my French.

But didn't Napoleon set himself up as an Emperor? Surely, that counts as royalty in a way, anyhow.

As for Radar, he's jealous of everything.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:43 PM   #21
warch
lurkin old school

Oy! I want someone to write a rousing song titled, "The Thighs of Johnny Wilkinson", then we sing it in a pub.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:33 AM   #22
Kikoo
Disorderly Disciplinarian

thanks to help me to understand the Elspode's joke
i'm not enough good in english to understand that type of joke

Napoléon was le premier consul (the first) and he made a referendum to stay on the throne all his life, the French answered "yes" and he became emperor
we are very complex because we fired all our kings to replace them by an emperor

Forget me but who is Johnny Wilkinson ?
Kikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:17 AM   #23
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

Kikoo, Jonny (or Johnny) Wilkinson scored the points England needed after a 100 minute game of Rugby Union had moved into extra time, for the World Cup, and thanks to him brought home the silver by beating the Aussies 20-17. His was the magical drop kick of perfection that he had been practicing since childhood, and it won the World Cup for his team and country. He is also divinely handsome and drop dead sexy!

I haven't learned how to insert links yet but if you do a Google search for him you can see the thighs - and more - that have left Englishwomen (and not a few men) sighing...... Our rugger buggers play in neat little shorts. Oh by the way, rugger has nothing to do with soccer.

Never mind the losers we currently have in Buckingham Palace, I think Jonny deserves the throne and I will probably be clapped in the Tower for this! Long live Jonny, England and St George!!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:52 AM   #24
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

But didn't Napoleon set himself up as an Emperor? Surely, that counts as royalty in a way, anyhow.
Definitely. The little fella even snatched the crown from the Pope and crowned himself. Lots of symbolism there.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:56 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by CzinZumerzet
Oh by the way, rugger has nothing to do with soccer.
How does the old saying go? Soccer is a gentlemans game played by thugs while rugby is a thugs game played by gentleman.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #26
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Oh yeah, sure alot of Brits feel the royal family is a "pimple"?.... that's why nobody went to Diana's funeral. Or to royal's weddings. Yeah.

And football (soccer) blows...mhm...that's why there are no fans.

Please don't try to offer *your* opinion as what "most" of a culture thinks.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #27
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

Historically there is a good natured tradition of competitive ribaldry and poking fun between supporters of football and Rugby. Some people follow/support both. I don't know the exact meaning of 'football blows' neither have I suggested it has no fans, it has very many, as has rugger. The origins and history of both games are as different as present day play,and dedicated football supporters tend to be quite different to rugger fans.

Over the course of very many years there have been scores of live debates, phone-ins, polls and quanititative research programmes, academic enquiry and surveys by numerous organisations including the UK/Australian/Canadian/New Zealand governments regarding the future of the monarchy. Undoubtedly it has its supporters and some people support the monarchy, but not its present incumbents or those in waiting. Not just my opinion, widespread international public opinion. Those who attend royal events do so for numerous and varied reasons of their own but to suggest that they are there only to demonstrate their support for the monarchy is probably an oversimplification. Very many have come from countries where monarchy is non-existant, others attend out of a sense of being a part of history, some because it is a great excuse for a celebration and there's no harm in that. If anything I've said is causing offence I apologise unreservedly. Seriously.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #28
marichiko

Quote:
If anything I've said is causing offence I apologise unreservedly. Seriously.
Don't worry, Czin. You didn't post anything that was offensive. Not in my book, anyhow. Some of the boys around here can get a bit touchy, that's all. You just have to stand your ground and keep them in their place.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #29
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko
Ummm, why are you asking Americans about this, anyhow? Last time I checked we didn't have a royal family here, although our politicians can be royal pains in the behind. Is the queen still alive? She's got those cute little corgi's. This being the land of opportunity, I went out and got a corgi of my very own. I now treat him like a king.
We have royalty simulations like the Kennedy family
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #30
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Very many have come from countries where monarchy is non-existant, others attend out of a sense of being a part of history, some because it is a great excuse for a celebration and there's no harm in that. If anything I've said is causing offence I apologise unreservedly. Seriously.

Considering that this is the Cellar, you've not said anything with real offensive impact Suz...
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote