The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #46
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

You forgot women jokes.
All women belong in the kitchen.
Sorry but those are so funny to me.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #47
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

ooh, ooh, what about the other side of my heritage: Swiss. What do we get to say about that? I've heard boring, but wait a minute...I'm not boring. I know, we keep really good time and make really cool knives. All of us. Oh, and I think we must be good at banking.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #48
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeboduuza View Post
All women belong in the kitchen.
Barefoot
Old 08-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #49
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Yeah, you forgot about all Native Americans being alcoholics.
Pssh... alcoholics with gambling addictions, duh...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #50
Shawnee123

D'oh!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #51
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

British women are ugly?
Blimey, I'd never heard that before, but apparently it's well known enough to be a cliche.

Shit. I'm ugly, can't cook and have bad teeth. I wouldn't let me out of the kitchen either.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #52
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

"All white men are pedophiles."

That's a relief. I thought it was just me.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #53
Grismar
Viewer of the Image

Don't feed the troll (dogs or otherwise)

And a troll he is, because there was no good reason to get angry. The joke that was made was that any dog, all alone without its owner stands a fair chance of being turned into a snack, in a country like China.

Not all Asians have to eat dogs for this to be a clear and present danger, so the joke in no way implied anything about -all- Asians (or all Chinese for that matter). There's just a sufficient number of Chinese that do eat them to warrant the joke. The joke wasn't even about the Asians. It was about people going all teary-eyed over this cute pet, jerking them back into harsh reality with the most bleak statement you could possibly make about the dog, which you may or may not think is funny. That's humour for you.

Also, for someone who proudly announces that his country of origin has cockfighting for a national sport (what is it anyway, the Philippines? Thailand? Cambodia?) you sure do get riled up over eating dogs. I would assume anyone with such an utter disrespect for animals would make a recipe suggestion sooner than get all fiery about it.

Anyway, anyone know any jokes about Asian folk lacking a complete sense of humour, or are we dealing with a singularly humourless specimen here? Alternatively, Fresh, perhaps you want to allude to my being under the influence of drugs (I do live near Amsterdam) or suggest some horrible STD is affecting my judgement (we did legalize prostitution). Perhaps it's something in the cheese, or did my head get hit by a windmill? Or did you actually learn something and do you realize that you making jokes about a stereotype about my society doesn't really have to affect me personally, unless it's actually right on the mark?
Grismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #54
freshnesschronic
Professor

Sorry Grismar. You can block me, you know.

Welcome to the Cellar !
But I think you might be a clone of someone....a sockpuppet or something.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 AM   #55
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Meh, I dont think Grismar is a sock puppet.

I tend to think that any of the regular dwellars with *that* to say, would stand loud and proud and say it under their regular name.

Anyways Fresh, I think you over reacted a tad, it seemed kinda OTT.

Fact is, *some* Asians do eat dog and its an IotD.

Welcome Grismar
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:21 AM   #56
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It's no more an attack on Asians, than a comment about a pig being likely to end up as bacon is an attack on westerners. Plenty of cultures find our use of pork meat distasteful. Plenty of cultures keep pigs as family pets (after all they are, apparently, as intelligent as dogs). Personally, the idea of dogs being used for meat is appalling to me...but that's only because I'm from a culture that sees them as pets and workers only. The worst thing you can actually say about those cultures which eat dog, is that the farming and slaughter methods are often very cruel...Take a quick look at battery farmed chickens or veal calves and you'll see we are far from guiltless in this area ourselves.

Nice to have you on board Grismar *smiles*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #57
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

So being a white dude born and raised in Harlem makes you privileged? Hmmmm... I will have to think about that one. Being an white guy trying to get service in downtown Washington D.C. at the local KFC gets me special treatment like any other customer? Hmmmmm....

Being an illegal immigrant who is having a baby in the local hospital gets me a free bill but the white chick down the street who has no insurance gets hounded by bill collectors and has her credit ruined is privilge? Hmmmmm....

Being a white Sgt. in the Army with an all black Senior NCO staff will get you that next great job because you work so hard for it? Hmmm....

Here is a great book to read:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...12284657&itm=1

and another:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...90626211&itm=1

Edit: And from todays news we have another example of "white privilige": http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/aug/...line-05sgfcol/

Last edited by TheMercenary; 08-06-2007 at 09:56 AM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #58
freshnesschronic
Professor

Yes, yes, and yes, Merc.
Here's an example: People stick up their noses when a bunch of Mexicans walk into a grocery store and have a slight accent. They are automatically labeled illegals even if their family has been there for 3 generations and the people say "Ugh, they are in America they should speak English well, ughhhhh." Or what about if they didn't have any accent, some people would treat them differently too, "Oh, you speak English so well, you're so well spoken " well he's not a monkey or parrot to be trained he's a goddamn man like anyone else. And here's the inverse: when speaking Spanish a white man it is totally acceptable for him to speak with a disgusting American accent and throw in "light-o" and "el hammer." Why is that acceptable? White privilege.

Here's some more good reads for everyone
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...15951807&itm=1
Actually just search white privilege and you'll get good hits!

I know about this book from my anthropology class. Many of you will not understand this idea of white privilege and deny its existence, that's ok, because many many of my fellow students were confused when this topic was brought up and were like "I don't know what she's (my professor) talking about, 'Hasta La Vista Baby' doesn't have any hidden racism in there."
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #59
Flint
Snowflake

freshness, you should check out "Lies My History Teacher Told Me" ...

Great book, plenty of material about the overt eurocentricism in our American History textbooks.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #60
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Yes, yes, and yes, Merc.
Here's an example: People stick up their noses when a bunch of Mexicans walk into a grocery store and have a slight accent. They are automatically labeled illegals even if their family has been there for 3 generations and the people say "Ugh, they are in America they should speak English well, ughhhhh." Or what about if they didn't have any accent, some people would treat them differently too, "Oh, you speak English so well, you're so well spoken " well he's not a monkey or parrot to be trained he's a goddamn man like anyone else. And here's the inverse: when speaking Spanish a white man it is totally acceptable for him to speak with a disgusting American accent and throw in "light-o" and "el hammer." Why is that acceptable? White privilege.

Here's some more good reads for everyone
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...15951807&itm=1
Actually just search white privilege and you'll get good hits!

I know about this book from my anthropology class. Many of you will not understand this idea of white privilege and deny its existence, that's ok, because many many of my fellow students were confused when this topic was brought up and were like "I don't know what she's (my professor) talking about, 'Hasta La Vista Baby' doesn't have any hidden racism in there."
The problem is that none of the examples you have given actually equate into this idea of "White privilege". The concept is about as valid as a made up holiday.

Tags
animal, dog