Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

Ladies! You got the vote in 1920. You've been the majority since 1945. You better get off your collective butts and do some politicking before kitchen chains, and chastity belts, become mandatory.
I'm wondering about the psychology of women who stand with Akin on this. Sometimes I think the humans are broken.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #32
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It's a depressing thought, but generally speaking if you look at any deeply patriarchal society, mothers are often the ones who hold it up.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Yup. I remember my first abusive husband, a Saudi, telling me about his mother's advice. She told him to break his wife's spirit completely, then reshape her into what he wanted her to be.

My response was...but then I wouldn't be anything like the woman you married, would I? .

I was 18 yrs old.

Anyway, a lot of women just can't see past their personal disapproval and narrow-mindedness.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Slightly OT, but I was reading an article the other day about women who are proud to be housewives and look after their husbands.
I was put off by the passive-aggressive tone TBH.

But I did wonder what they were teaching their children.
One woman mentioned teaching her daughters cooking and how to make sweet treats for Daddy. Well, that's lovely - of course. And if you want them to grow up into a housewife like you that's also education. But she also had a son. I wonder what she was teaching him? I wonder if he was treated in a similar way to Daddy?

I have no personal issues with women who treat their family as their job. Bloody good luck to them, it's not an easy one and it's very important. It's the deification of the breadwinner that makes me cringe slightly. The majority of couples both have to work, and I'm not sure the example is a great one to set when this is likely to be the case.

Oh, just as an aside, the three women featured were significantly younger than their spouses. One had married at 19, fresh out of 6th form. Couldn't help thinking that may have been a factor.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Back in the 60s they started preaching women could have it all. I don't remember anyone pointing out how fucking hard it would be. I'm afraid many girls got the impression it was mandatory to have it all, when they should have noted they may have a choice. Sure a single mom has to, but others can choose to be a homemaker, or a business professional, there's certainly no shame in either choice.
If you do decide you want it all, it may be better not to have it all at once, but rather approach things in secession.
The real progress is having choices.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #36
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

http://www.tampabaytimesforum.com/ev...ohibited-items

Love the first two on the list

Quote:
Republican National Convention Prohibited Items
As a condition of entry, the following items are inadmissible for safety and security reasons and will not be permitted within the security perimeter established for the 2012 Republican National Convention:

Weapons, firearms or knives (regardless of size)
Plastic replicas of weapons (including toy guns)
Explosives/fireworks
Baseballs
Umbrellas*
Strollers
Poles and sticks
Laser lights and laser pointers
Coolers
Whole fruit
Containers of any type (bottles/cans/spray canisters)
Aerosols
Mace/pepper spray, tasers, stun guns, or similar devices
Sharp and/or pointed objects: razor blades, scissors, knitting needles, screw drivers, etc.
Leatherman or similar tools
Whistles, noise makers, horns or drums, unless authorized by convention officials
Banners, signs or placards
Flashlights, unless authorized by the Committee on Arrangements Event Production or Security Divisions
Unopened envelopes or packages (items must be opened and available for inspection/screening)
Folding chairs
Camcorders and cases, large cameras with lens (over four inches)**
Voice enhancement devices, such as bullhorns**
Tripods for cameras**
Backpacks or carry cases for binoculars, cameras**
Any Items deemed unsafe by security personnel
Storage of prohibited items or any other items will not be offered

*Unless provided by the Committee on Arrangements or the 2012 Tampa Bay Host Committee
** Does not apply to media
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #37
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Virtually identical to that of the DNC. This list is compiled by those who are charged with protecting them, not the RNC nor DNC.

Now, what was your point?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #38
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

"Whole fruit"...

now why would that be a worry?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #39
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

They did not ban pies?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #40
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
They did not ban pies?
*snickerdoodles*

I'm lovin' the tw these days.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #41
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
They did not ban pies?
And end up turning away someone holding an apple pie? That would be tantamount to embracing Communism.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They're turning away baseballs, and probably wouldn't let you bring a Chevy in the hall.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #43
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Virtually identical to that of the DNC. This list is compiled by those who are charged with protecting them, not the RNC nor DNC.

Now, what was your point?
Are you that dense?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #44
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
I've some small idea of what abortion will cost one emotionally -- even if you're just the other partner. And the condom broke. (Lube yourself before putting the condom on -- not only is it lots more fun but it prevents you overstretching it.)

Could have been a lot rougher than it was, though -- Mother Nature took a hand. We didn't have to do any deciding.

That kind of thing moves me to ask a rather cutting question, MTP: you're so exercised about all this -- just how many abortions have you had? If one or more, were they so very easy as you seem to expect?

I'm not registered Republican, but Libertarian, and I'm hardly describable as anti-abortion -- close control of when and how one breeds is desirable. I'm saying it's no easy thing, and not at all light.

You've taken as gospel a hitpiece, and the hitpiece mentality found in this cluster of articles may be shown in one of those linked in your linked article, which I quote:

A ravening fury directed at all of Arizona other than the Grand Canyon, about. Apparently, for being Arizona. Mob psychology stuff. Your lot just keep proving Ann Coulter is right about you.

Not a hit piece -- from the Arizona Republic.
What I like about UG is that he always lives down to my expectations. Whether I'm just doing a Cellar drive-by or have been hanging around for a while, UG's posts remain the one certain thing in an increasingly uncertain world. He's merely a two year old shouting obscenities to see if he can get a rise out of any adults in the vicinity. Sadly for UG, his diatribes are mostly wasted on passing gilla monsters and bored Cellar readers. For about a micro-second, I considered removing his words from my sig line in protest of the above quote, but that would be giving him more attention than he deserves. Besides, I do appreciate a touch of irony now and then. So here's to UG - STILL bitterly hostile to every worthwhile thought ever thought!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And a "libertarian" that doesn't understand why women are telling the government to mind their own fucking business.