The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mar 10th, 2017: Grime’s Graves

Grime’s Graves is a pock marked section in Thetford Forest in Norfolk, England. I don’t know who the hell Grime is, but he’s
probably hiding from a lynch mob because there’s no graves. What is there is the remnants of over 400 holes in the earth where
flint was mined, starting at least 4500 years ago, around the same time the Druids were erecting monuments at Stonehenge and
at Avebury.

Of course we all know the purpose of flint is cutting, slashing, stabbing, skinning, maiming, and butchering, as well as lighting up
your musket or Zippo.

The flint runs in seams through the chalk strata, so every year or two they’d dig a pit more than 14 meters(46 ft) deep and
12 meters(39.4ft) across at the surface, using antlers for picks and wooden shovels. They’d dump the diggings in last years pit.
At the bottom lateral tunnels followed the flint seams because after digging that hole they wanted to grab as much flint as they
could. In the tunnels light came from lamps made by scooping out hollows in the chalk walls and filling them with animal fat or
oil and floating wicks, Must have been pungent.

Quote:
It is estimated that a medium-depth shaft could have yielded as much as 60 tons of flint nodules that could have produced
as many as 10,000 polished stone axes. Extrapolation across the site suggests that Grime's Graves may have produced
around 16-18,000 tons of flint across the 433 shafts recorded to date. Mining continued at Grime’s Graves until about
1400 BC. In this later period, the pits became shallower and lacked underground galleries.
Investigating the mines they discovered the pits were also used to dispose of archaeologist’s-boner inducing neolithic rubbish,
and an occasional body.

link
Old 03-10-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Grime’s Graves is a pock marked section in Thetford Forest in Norfolk, England. I don’t know who the hell Grime is, but he’s
probably hiding from a lynch mob because there’s no graves.
I believe that Grime, or more often Grim, is another name for the Devil, although that is often disputed.

From Wiki:

Quote:
Grim's Ditch, Grim's Dyke (also Grimsdyke or Grimes Dike in derivative names) or Grim's Bank is a name shared by a number of prehistoric bank and ditch earthworks.
Enigmatic in both their naming and original function, examples are found across the chalk uplands of southern England
LINK

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-10-2017 at 03:49 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, then Grime should be Grim.
Grim is the Devil.
The Grimms were brothers.
So the Devil is a Bro.
Cool.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

I had no idea this type of flint-mining existed. I'm going to ask dad and uncle if they've ever seen anything like this.

The flint tools from Texas are made from pieces of flint you could easily find near the top of the ground, especially after it rains, or the fields have been plowed. I suppose, if larger pieces are further down, and if the Native Americans had looked further down, they would have had larger tools?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I believe that Grime, or more often Grim, is another name for the Devil, although that is often disputed.

From Wiki:

LINK
Grimnir was another name for Woden/Odin as well in Norse mythology - a lot of places in the north (what was the Danelaw) have Grim in them.

Quote:

Grimsby was settled by Danes sometime in the 9th century AD. According to legend, the name Grimsby derives from the name Grim, a Danish fisherman,[10] the suffix -by being the Old Norse word for village. The legendary founding of Grimsby is described in Lay of Havelock the Dane, but historians consider this account to be myth.
In Norse mythology, Grim (Mask) and Grimnir (Masked One) are names adopted by the deity Odin (Anglo-Saxon Woden) when travelling incognito amongst mortals, as in the short poem known as 'Grimnir's Sayings' (Grimnismal) in the Poetic Edda.[11] The intended audience of the Havelock tale (recorded much later in the form of The Lay of Havelock the Dane) may have understood the fisherman Grim to be Odin in disguise. The Odinic name 'Grimr/Grim' occurs in many English placenames within the historical Danelaw and elsewhere in Britain, examples being the numerous earthworks named Grimsdyke.[12] As other British placenames containing the element Grim are explained as referring to Woden/Odin (e.g. Grimsbury, Grimspound, Grime's Graves, Grimsditch, Grimsworne), Grimsby is likely to have the same derivation.
Grimsby is listed in the Domesday Book as having a population of around 200, a priest, a mill and a ferry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby

But then, they do say it's grim up north.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Is that an archeologist's boner in your pocket or are you...Oh. Never mind.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Smile

Please, please, please. Somebody that knows how to do it, link in photos of the Mima Mounds in Washington state. They are the opposite of these dips. Thank you ever so much.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Flint weapons and tools having long since disappeared from the catalogue, flint became a building material.
Brick and flint houses can be seen all over south and east England and are still being built today.
These old cottages are in Norfolk on the same chalk belt as Thetford, above.

Name:  Brick and Flint.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  158.4 KB

Many of these buildings will be in conservation areas so repairs and renovations will have to be made using original materials.
New houses tend to look a bit stark, but there's nothing that a couple of centuries of weathering won't put right.

Very much in FWIW territory, but when researching my family history I found one strand of my family had the surname Flint.
I traced them back into deepest Yorkshire in 1770.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your contributions are always worth reading.
Condolences on the Flint in the family tree.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Grimnir was another name for Woden/Odin as well in Norse mythology
Could be both. Early (and, perhaps, not so early) Christianity labeled competing pantheons as demons, and Odin, as the boss, could have been linked to the Devil.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:

Very much in FWIW territory, but when researching my family history I found one strand of my family had the surname Flint.
I traced them back into deepest Yorkshire in 1770.
Our Man Flint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQwJQkEh2QY
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
The flint tools from Texas...
Is that what they call you guys?

Relax, man, I'm just poking ya.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy56 View Post
Please, please, please. Somebody that knows how to do it, link in photos of the Mima Mounds in Washington state. They are the opposite of these dips. Thank you ever so much.
Grimes and Mina sitting in a field
One pressed down and the other did yield.
First come flints then gopher-zillas.
What's going on with these turfed-over ripples?
One side's dimples and the other's all pimples.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That reminds me, where the hell is blueboy56? I made a whole thread for him, rush rush, set aside what I had prepared, and he doesn't show up.
I wonder if he has a financial interest in Mima Mounds?
Then again, maybe somebody kidnapped his sainted mother until he got Mima Mounds posted?

Just kidding, he'll be back, they all come back after UT's koolaid.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Wink

Again sorry for the delay. I was doing reasearch by jumping up and down on the mounds, then looking on google maps to see of any of the Grimey holes poked out.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote