The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Veteran's Stadium may have feral cats and is to be imploded.
To hell with the cats 13 56.52%
rescue the cats 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Feral Cats

cats
Should they implode the stadium and to hell with the cats?
Or should they make every effort regardless of cost to save them?
Old 05-28-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here's one of 'em.

Section 207 cat IotD
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

You have to flush the cats out. Fire, smoke, whatever. How do make the cats want to leave? How do you make the cats want to leave a nuclear submarine? ...
Old 05-28-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
e unibus plurum
garbage in, refuse out

Bleh... I say: Fire in the hole!
Hell, they already got 9 lives anyway s'whats one less?:p
e unibus plurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #5
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

If the way the Phillies have played over most of the Vet's history hasn't driven the cats out, NOTHING will.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:47 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I participate in a local special interest mailing list through yahoogroups that's all in a tizzy over these cats.

My comments that these are not cute furry kitties, but feral vermin who happen to look like cats was not appreciated.

I even held back on my kind offer to take care of some of the problem (that would have gone over like a lead balloon to be sure ... my solution involves lead, of course.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 03:27 AM   #7
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I even held back on my kind offer to take care of some of the problem (that would have gone over like a lead balloon to be sure ... my solution involves lead, of course.)
Something like: Pull! RRAOWWW! Pop!
Old 05-29-2003, 05:25 AM   #8
dave

The problem is, of course, that the cats are unadoptable. They can't be "rescued" in the best sense of the word. What really needs to be done is the ASPCA needs to come in and trap the cats, and then they'll all be put down. It costs money, but it's humane.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

My mind must be wired weird... I read the topic as "federal cats".

Anyway, I'd say make a reasonable effort to capture them, and then let it go. As everybody else has said, we're not talking about Morris from the cat food commercials here.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 08:45 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
capture them, and then let it go
Before they implode it there will be a lot of pre-demolition activity and the food will be gone. They'll probably leave on their own. If not, when the explosions start they better run quick.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:05 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My section 207 cat during daytime hours. S/he had scattered into this drainage hole, almost perfectly cat-sized, avoiding me and 50,000 other humans. If she left this hidey-hole and turned left instead of right, she would be on the field.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:39 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, tomorrow morning at 7am (EST), Veterans Stadium in Philly will come down, in an estimated 62 seconds. From the IotD pictures it looks like they've done enough pre-demolition, that the cats should have vacated. Hope so, anyway.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:06 AM   #13
staceyv
Lecturer

i was a staff member at an animal shelter for 2 1/2 years. what they did, was to trap the cats, have them spayed and neutered and set them free. it's not fair to kill them because they're not pets. if they are positive for feline leukemia or FIV then they will be euthanized, but other than that, they are just sterilized. if all of them were fixed, they would just die out eventually. it's the humane thing to do.
there are caring groups of people who would help with the cause and lots of people who would donate money, also. it CAN be done humanely!

or should i say "it could have been done" humanely? i just read through the entire thread and realized that they're domolishing the stadium tomorrow!? why the hell didn't they strt trapping the cats months ago when they made these plans???idiots!
i don't know what to say, then. it's sickening.

Last edited by staceyv; 03-20-2004 at 08:10 AM.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:22 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's OK, officials say the cats (and rats) are long gone.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:33 AM   #15
godwulf
Coronation Incarnate

I've noted a disturbing and unfortunate tendency among posters to message boards (alas, even this one, where one would expect better) and callers to talk radio shows, to go out of their way to let people know how much they dislike cats.

It's almost always a male thing, and the tendency seems to 'pool' a bit over toward the Right side of the political spectrum, though even some progressive 'men' apparently feel the need to show off on the subject.

Is it a childish reaction to the (what they consider) excessive devotion they see some people display toward cats? (That's probably my favorite theory at the moment.)

Plenty of people don't like dogs, birds, ferrets, fish, but I seldom hear anybody going out of their way to put down those animals and the people who like/own/care about them.

Callousness toward animals in general, and cats in particular, seems to be one of those 'male' things (especially among those who view themselves as 'conservative') in our culture. Anybody who doesn't share that tendency is labeled (as I was recently in a Hunting thread that I started) a too-frequent watcher of 'Disney films'.
godwulf is offline   Reply With Quote