The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-29-2006, 12:15 AM   #76
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

I also knew a Systems Manager at IBM who lost 40 pounds in less than a year by only cutting out the beer and not changing anything else in his life. He said if they had not invented "light" beer he would have gained 40 instead. So if you are going to drink, better read up on the carbs or calories on that stuff too because that might be where your worst plateau is.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #77
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
Brianna? are you still with me?
Oh, yes. I'm gonna do *this*--no bread, pasta, potatoes, noodles, rice. That's going to help me. Lots of low fat yogurt, cottage cheese (I don't gorge on it) veggies, fruit in it's natural state and meat/salad combos. I went to a high school production of the Music Man yesterday and was actually UNCOMFORTABLE sitting in the theatre seat. OMG. It's always worse than I think it is!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #78
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

*pokes thread with stick*

so, uhhh, everybody's come off the wagon?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #79
Lady Luck
Non-Newbie Sort

Protein shakes can help take off the fat. They sell this stuff at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy area. Whey Protein is what I use. The chocolate tastes better than the vanilla. It's about 100 calories per serving. I drink one late in the afternoon, when the hunger starts creeping in.
Lady Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #80
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Fat Man Walking from Oceanside, CA, to New York City. At 410 pounds and battling depression, he had a long trip ahead of him. From "Steve's Story":

Quote:
Nuts you say? Well, maybe.

But how nutty is spending a fortune on miracle weight loss drugs or fad diets that never seem to have lasting results or dangerous surgeries that cost about the same as a luxury car?

Living your life without health insurance because you are considered too high risk.

What about the fact that only 3% of weight loss attempts are permanently successful?

What about the anxiety, depression and pain involved in everyday activities when you are fat?

I don’t want to miss out on birthdays, graduation, marriages and grandkids because I chose not to take my life back.

That, to me, is nuts.
Really amazing stuff, as he is only 10 miles from his goal, today.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #81
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

fiddy cents sez he turns around and walks back.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #82
Ibby
erika

Well I'm back from Thailand (where I lived off rice, prettymuch), so I'll start updating here again like I said I would

Breakfast: 1 nestea, 2 bagels w/cream cheese

lunch: 1 nestea, maybe a slice of pizza later
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #83
BigBoy100
Rapscallion

How are ye all doing so well? Im finding this very hard!
BigBoy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #84
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy100
it's a piece of cak... umm, simple as pi... so how's the food diary coming along, BigBoy? Are you including your exercise minutes, too?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #85
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy100
Who said we all do well... I'm disabled, so what little exercise I do get/can do is very painful and I am in the house with the fridge all day.
Also, being pre-diabetic with a barely functioning liver keeps me from losing weight very easily.
I feel a lot of guilt for the weight I still have on... so I want to eat.
Sometimes I give in... as time goes on I get better at learning new impulses, at recognizing the bad ones and developing new tactics at derailing them.
We are all just trying to give you positive tools, not talk about all the negatives of the struggle, that is not a very productive use of your time (speaking for others here, sorry... I could be wrong).
In hindsight, now that you make this statement, I see how it made it all sound easy. It is not, but it is simple, not the same thing, stick to the rules, keep in mind the good that you are doing.
Something I did when quitting smoking may work, get a craving... do curls with a good, high, weight or crunches. Later, your sub-conscious will stop because it will stop "oh, I don't think I want it that bad!".
Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #86
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Am beginning to see my down fall pattern: I wait tooooo long to eat, feel dizzy and sick and like I must eat RIGHT NOW then stuff myself with inappropriate junk like white bread, pasta, dairy. Must not have these hypoglycemic moments. Must plan.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm a carb addict.
I am in the same boat. Your body is also in "survival mode" and is going to store fat no matter how little you eat and how good it is for you.
Carbs are not "bad" in general, but being pre-diabetic... if I don't watch it I'm going to end up going on the shots and have no one to blame but myself.
Pain gets rid of my appetite until it is too late, then I'm starving.
I miss being able to exercise all I want.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #87
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
The mentality of the "clean plate" is hard to break.
I've noticed since moving to Philly, when I go to a restaurant and only eat half or 2/3 of my meal, too many times the server will look concerned or offended and ask, "Was the food OK?" or even, "Whatsa matter, didn't you like the food?" What the hell! My standard response has become, "That was A LOT of food," because usually, it IS too much. One restaurant entree is often big enough for at least two normal meals.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #88
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've lost weight!

But, I've got miles to go before I something something.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 05-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #89
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I've lost weight!

But, I've got miles to go before I something something.
Well done, Bri
(never mind the miles to go, you're headed in the right direction!)
Old 05-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #90
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Thanks, limey. That is very sweet of you!

—James Barrie