The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Old Movies That Folks Should See

Scaramouche: Stewart Granger Janet Leigh. In some ways you'd like to see an update of this flic but there is a certain charm to seeing it the way things were done in 1952. There is a six and a half minute foil duel at the the end that really is well done.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Before I really get started ... Griff, m'dear, would you be so kind as to define "old"? What's our cut off year, because my list will vary depending upon that number.

Speaking of dueling ... totally have to include The Mark of Zorro. Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone's duel in that one is fantastic.

And I love the story.

In all it's versions.

Even the bad ones.

But this is my favorite.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Let us say 1959 which is really only cuz I was born in the sixties, although there was a style change in the early/mid sixties... Screw it, whatever you think of as old. Am now putting the Mark of Zorro Tyrone Power on Netfix cue, nice call.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Am now putting the Mark of Zorro Tyrone Power on Netfix cue, nice call.
What? You mean this thread was just a trick to get us to sort out the wheat from the chaff for you?
Good thinking. Sorry I can't help much because I like heavy dramas like Rocky Horror Picture Show, Hollywood Knights and Princess Bride, but I can recomend anything by Hitchcock. Also, any Wallace Beery/Marie Dressler film, Jimmy Stewart flics, There were some great westerns and Around the World in 80 Days. That old enough for you?
Old 10-10-2004, 03:23 AM   #5
York
Operations Operative

I once saw a great Hitchkock as a kid, and back then it really scared me, but it wasnt one of hes popular onces i guess cause i forgot the title! It was about a guy who had a car-accident and was found like h was dead, no pulse to find etc. but actually was still alive and aware of everything. Anyone knows wich one i'm talkin about?
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The Three Musketeers (1973) The movie has been made about 6 times in the US since 1916, including a version with Gene Kelly, but the 1973 version with Racquel Welch, Michael York, and Oliver Reed is my favorite. Charlton Heston's version of Cardinal Richelieu was great as a really complex character. Tim Currry played the same character as a sort of Muppet villain, too cowardly and venal to be taken seriously.

The 1960's and 1970's were known for great war movies, Kelley's Heroes andPatton were both made in 1970. The Dirty Dozen and Battle of the Bulge were both made in 1965.

Then there were the cop movies....
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As it 'Tis the Season ...

Dracula

Frankenstein

The Mummy

The Wolfman

No halloween is complete with out the monster double-double feature.

Relax and enjoy the days in which horror films relied on spooky atmosphere and good storyline to scare you rather than buckets of blood and sheepguts.

To this day "I never drink ... wine," gives me chills.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-10-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by York
I once saw a great Hitchkock as a kid, and back then it really scared me, but it wasnt one of hes popular onces i guess cause i forgot the title! It was about a guy who had a car-accident and was found like h was dead, no pulse to find etc. but actually was still alive and aware of everything. Anyone knows wich one i'm talkin about?
I think that was one of the TV shows. He could ony move his little finger but
they stuck that hand underneath him on the gurney?
Old 10-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Episode was called Breakdown

And was also refilmed for the revival of the series in the 80s.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #10
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Any and all of the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies. Mistah Rathbone can solve my mysteries anyday ...if he wasn't dead that is.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:39 AM   #11
Roosta
Nutter.

My favourite Hitchcock (albeit TV) was the episode with the woman in prison who befriended the guy in the prison morgue. An arrangement was made for her to escape whereby when the bell tolled that signified another inmate had died, she would climb in the coffin with the body during the night. After being buried, the morgue attendant would dig her back up and let her free. Plan goes fine until she gets buried, lights a match laughing then realises it's the morgue guy who died!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:13 AM   #12
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Sorry, Had to plug this one: Bullitt
Old 10-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
Pi
desperate finder

Love Story
Casablanca
Old 10-11-2004, 03:48 PM   #14
Roosta
Nutter.