The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In human terms, he's already rich & famous and if what he's got to look forward to doesn't give him the "will to live",........well...ALPO.

Welcome to the Cellar, queenb. You make a good point, of course, but considering what we do to future ballet dancers and gymnasts, it all seems natural.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigw00dy
..i bet Barbaro can make a mean 'Map of Hawaii' on that vet
Is that the pearl necklace of the new millenium? Somehow I can't hear zz top in my minds ear singing that one...
Old 05-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #18
UltraViolence
Kinda New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenb
And, not to be too much of a cynic, but while they're "healing" this stud's leg, I'm sure they'll be collecting semen as often as possible to sell. At a hundred grand or more a pop (pun intended?), I'm sure they'll be able to pay the vet bill.
In the world of horse racing, artificial insemination is illegal. The only way Barbaro can produce any money-making offspring, is the old fashioned way.

So there is no selling of his sperm.

And before you go feeling bad for these horses, you must understand that their genetics aren't like normal horse genetics. They come from long lines of bred racing horses. Their bodies are more than able to handle the stress put upon them. Plus the pampering and care they receive. They are superstars as far as they are concerned. And when they retire, they will live a long and happy life of eating and fornication. $25 million is invested in this horse. They owners risk nothing when it comes to this horses well being.

(I registered just to tell you, you were wrong.. btw. Education before cynicism is crucial.)
UltraViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hello UltraViolence, welcome to the Cellar.
Stick around and that registration won't be wasted, since you told us in Post #18 (in this thread) what we already knew in post #4.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #20
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergeek
He might be a horse, but he's still a guy... if a guy were being strapped into an electric chair, and one of the guards was a woman, he'd flirt with her.
"Hey baby, wanna come over here and ride the lightnin' rod?"
Old 01-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #21
milkfish
A serene breakdown

It doesn't look good for the big guy.

Barbaro Takes a Bad Turn
Quote:
Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro suffered another significant setback over the weekend, and his fight for survival may have reached a critical point. After Barbaro developed a deep abscess in his right hind foot, surgery was performed Saturday to insert two steel pins in a bone, one that was shattered but now healthy, to eliminate all weight bearing on the ailing foot.
Apparently, there are problems in both rear legs now, and the surgery can have the side-effect of worsening conditions in the front legs.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #22
Deuce
Pesky Pugalist [sp]

Barbaro Euthanized

It just got worse.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #23
Elspode

Ah, that sucks.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #24
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Just this morning I heard an interview with his Vet. He said that Barbaro was still eating and bright-eyed, and did not look like a horse in pain or ready to give up.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Just this morning I heard an interview with his Vet. He said that Barbaro was still eating and bright-eyed, and did not look like a horse in pain or ready to give up.
I heard the same interview. The "bright-eyed" comment stuck with me. The vet was basically saying that even though the horse was going through all this crap, it was in good spirits.

I wonder if they get an insurance payout now that he's dead?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #26
Elspode

Was Barbaro a stallion, gelding or mare? I honestly don't know, but, if a stallion, I assume he was thoroughly milked prior to having been put down...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #27
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Was Barbaro a stallion, gelding or mare? I honestly don't know, but, if a stallion, I assume he was thoroughly milked prior to having been put down...
Stallion. The reason for the heroic efforts, I think, was his stud value. Almost as valuable as yours, 'Spode.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #28
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Barbaro was a colt. Only 4 years old. A baby.

They were pretty sure he would never be able to be put to stud as he didn't have much of a chance to put all his weight on his back legs. Artificial insemination is against horse racing rules.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 01-29-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #29
milkfish
A serene breakdown

It's as sad as when they had to euthanize Ruffian after her match race with Foolish Pleasure.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #30
jinx
Come on, cat.

Aww... poor guy.
My daughter heard the news on KYW in the car today and she's very sad. He was her pick in the Derby and Preakness last year.... she felt a connection.
I commend the owners and vets for trying so hard, and for knowing when enough was enough, it must have been a really hard decision.