The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #31
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

I've heard of new drug testing policy for people on probation. A new thing is not only drugs and alcohol make you come up hot, but over- hydration can send these ones back to jail or prison as well. Is being too hydrated against the law? New law says yes. Makes me think of my old wild nights out with my gallon of evian. How lucky I was to not be caught leaving the gym.....Water logged and feelin' good.
Take a bite outta crime.
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:00 PM   #32
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I want to know how having an excess of water in your system is supposed to set those things off and pose a public threat. It oughta be the other way around...severe dehydration can make you see things and that's not good when you're driving.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:48 AM   #33
russotto
Professor

I think the idea is the assumed reason for being over-hydrated is to clear drugs out of the system. Just one more turn down the slippery slope to totalitarianism.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh sure - makes sense. If you drank a quart of cranberry juice an hour and a half before a pee test, it would surely test clean, because all you'd be peeing out is water. Same would go for coffee, or tea, or any other diuretic.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:01 PM   #35
404Error
Lecturer

And on the other side of the spectrum....I wonder how they would test you if you drank without really drinking. It's called AWOL (alcohol without liquid).

Things that make you go hummm....
Old 09-15-2004, 01:39 PM   #36
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Lightbulb

On the illegal hydration spectrum...are you healthy or evading a hot pee test? Are you quitting drugs and alcohol and substituting with water or caffeine? Or are you trying to pull one over on the ol' probation officer. Who is to say? The penalties are too stiff for these people for the state to be nit- picking. I'm interested in this one...I want to see their hydration scale and what could be deemed illegal. What of athletes and pregnant women? A sliding scale possibly? Obvious evasion or rehabilitation? Are these new state mandates so clever? I'm with you Cyber. Dehydration can be a nasty thing seeing as how hydration is a matter of survival. Sometimes I find that when people are (being) so clever they look their most ridiculous. :p

Last edited by flippant; 09-15-2004 at 01:50 PM.
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #37
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error
And on the other side of the spectrum....I wonder how they would test you if you drank without really drinking. It's called AWOL (alcohol without liquid).

Things that make you go hummm....
Interesting alcohol delivery device. I also read years ago of another way to get alcohol into your bloodstream. The enema. Not sure what the benefits of it are. Maybe it's less filling. It seems dangerous though. Like you could absorb too much too fast and get poisoning.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:36 PM   #38
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
....The enema. Not sure what the benefits of it are. Maybe it's less filling.

Uh...tastes great? (sorry, couldn't let that one go...someone had to say it)
Old 04-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #39
rm
wildcard

I can remember one night when I was still living on a motorcycle.
Drunk on my ass and raising hell like somebody from an old motorcycle show....
(Plenty of noise on my dirt bike and lots of wheel stands.....)

...got stopped by 6 Sheriff deputies and a State Trooper.
(Yeah, I really knew all of them)

The only smart thing I did was go home when they gave me the chance to....

*Motorcycles for "me" was several life times ago....
Some of the time that was good and some that was best left forgotten.
rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #40
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Wow, I'm amazed that Australia has tougher DUI BAL rules than the US.

I've never been DUI, I started and pretty much ended drinking in college, most of it on-campus (18 was legal in NY).

My son has been stopped by cops and has tested clean every time. He is sometimes the designated driver. However, being under 21, if you are transporting alcohol you can have your license suspended. My son has failed to search some of his friends, which has led to difficulty. He met someone who was a few months shy of 21 who ended up in community service because his 21-year-old girlfriend had left an unopened can of beer on the floor.

Since we are here in PA, I like to draw my examples of public behavior from our public figures in teaching my son about responsibilty. In this case, I like to use one of our own state officials as an example. Thomas W. Druce is a fine example of what not to become.

Of course, Druce got an amazingly light sentence in a prison hospital, as well as having his license temporarily restored. My son is enough of a realist to realize that these perks will not be available to him if he screws up that royally.

BTW, even Ira Einhorn , Pennsylvania's most famous fugitive, is pissed off about Druce.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #41
Brett's Honey
whatever

As for the DUI poll - I had two (in my younger years), but never got charged with one. The first time, I was the manager of a restaurant and the beer license was in my name, so I really had to get out of the DUI charge. I hired a lawyer who took the Chief of Police to lunch and got him to agree to not make the arresting officer appear in court if I plead not guilty. He then made sure that the court date was on the officer's day off, as the officer's wife worked nights, and the officer would've had to hire a babysitter for his kids in order to go to court that day, and court was held in a town 20 miles away. I plead not guilty, we went to court, the officer did not appear, and the judge dropped the charges. The lawyer wasn't cheap, but the DUI wouldn't have been cheap either, and I could've lost my job.
The second time, the judge reduced the charge to reckless driving after I attended six weeks of DUI classes. (This seems to happen to here women much more often than men.)
After that, I was older and wiser enough to not drive drunk. I also had a child after the second time and that stopped my partying for the most part.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #42
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Ever since the District Attorney here was forced to "retire" after being charged with two DUI's, things have tightened up inside town anyway. Fortunately, by that time I had given up the hard stuff for medical reasons, and will have nothing to worry about if I'm caught in one of the DUI roadblocks. But for the most part the other folks have not put 2 + 2 together and keep blissfully weaving their way right into them, even though the locations are published in the paper the night before, proof that some people are just too dumb to stay in the gene pool. Around here, it is considered hazardous duty to be on a Caltrans crew at night, I've been told that every 10 minutes they get a major fright from some drunk driver hurtling off the road right at them like moths to a flame.

Lookout123 will appreciate the drive-carefully advice I was given when I moved to Arizona. I was told that half the vehicles on the road were motorized wheelchairs steered by a senior citizen and in the other half the driver is drunk. After driving for 11 years there, I have to admit that the seniors gave me far more bad moments than the drunks ever did.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #43
monicakat
Homicidal Terrahawk

Although I could never explain why, I've never had a DUI (or DWI, as they're called in Missouri), or even been pulled over. EVER. There are times when I've certainly deserved it, though, say back when I was around the age of 20. I would go out and get *really* drunk twice a week, and always drive home. Most of the time, I couldn't even remember driving home. It's definitely odd that I never got caught, considering the regularity with which this happened, and the way they feel about drunk driving in this town. People that have ridden in my car on these occasions say they either didn't know I was drunk or didn't notice, so I must just have been lucky.

For the most part, I never drink and drive anymore, with the occasional exception. And even then, I don't have any more than a few drinks in me. It's not that I think I couldn't handle it (because come on, inside most of us, we think we really can, regardless of our abilities), but I know I have no right to do it, when it means putting other peoples' lives in danger. I never know what might happen.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:57 PM   #44
Guyute
Gamehenge

When I was 21, I once drove home (about 10 miles from bar to bed) after having 34 draft in about 4 hours. I was so drunk I fell asleep with my clothes on. My dad came into my room about 8:30 the next morning (it was a Wednesday night) and I thought I must have driven the car into the lake or into my neighbour's livingroom. He was just after the keys, and the car was parked perfectly. I felt so stupid the next day that I have never driven since after having more that 1 beer. I figure someone was looking out for me that night, so I owe them a favor...I could have killed myself, or someone else.

My friend finally got busted after going about 2 years laughing at his good luck at having 5 beers after work then driving home. His insurance almost doubled the next year, and he lost his license for 12 months. Hope it was worth it!!
Old 04-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #45
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have only driven under DUI level of alcohol once in my life. The night I met my ex was at a wedding, and at the reception I drank heavily because I thought I would have a better chance at being social. (It didn't really work, but somehow we [stupidly] got together anyway.) At the end of the reception it was judged that of three guys with the hotel room 2 miles away, I was the most likely to achieve the drive correctly. At 2am, in Sayre PA, there are no other cars on the road anyway.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote