The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Perfectly.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #17
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
George Jr did numerous actions to encourage the "He hates blacks" assumption. #1 on my list is all that food, water, and medicine that was not delivered by Air Force One.

This racist propaganda is really starting to irritate me.

Don't listed to Jesse Jackson and Keynes. There are white people that are starving and dying, and creoles starving and dying and hispanics and chinese and all kinds of other people dying too.

NEWS FLASH:::

IT'S NOT ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE!!

It's about poor, sick, old and stupid people.

Those come in all flavors.

Please, stop buying into the race issue. It's not there. It's more a class issue.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Just read on the Guardian Unlimited (online version) that vacationing Brits were told, "sorry, find your own way out. We're here for Americans." If that's true---sheesh!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Important telethon update!

The first and last four hours of the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon are going for Hurricane Katrina relief.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #20
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
George Jr did numerous actions to encourage the "He hates blacks" assumption. #1 on my list is all that food, water, and medicine that was not delivered by Air Force One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
Then don't respond with emotion (ie "irritate me"). Deal with the facts - bluntly. Show me where the president did one action to demonstrate he was not racist. Not one reason exists to believe this is an accusation of racism. To believe otherwise is to take what was posted completely out of context. It is a simple statement. Show me one action by George Jr during this New Orleans disaster that could demonstrate he was not a racist. It is a simple question of logic that requires a simple answer in logic. Show me.

Last edited by tw; 09-04-2005 at 06:27 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Show me one action by George Jr during this New Orleans disaster that could demonstrate he was not a racist. It is a simple question of logic that requires a simple answer in logic. Show me.
um...he kissed two really attractive and recently washed black girls?

Too easy.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:40 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thomas Jefferson kissed Sally Hemings, too.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #23
warch
lurkin old school

Racism is the simplistic, but passionate, historically based argument. Bye bye blackbird. And I can see how it would sting at bit.

Incompetence or racism? I'm going with incompetence exaserbated by classism and lack of political clout.

What was revealed to me was what living in poverty and/or being elderly during a natural disaster looks like. Desperate. Unfortunatly expendible. The working poor.

Why did it take so long to get the military there?
Should Bush get some blame? He's the CEO after all. He waited too many days, flew in, noted inadequacies and within hours the choppers landed and turned the tide. Why the wait? When Harry Connick can drive right in safely days ealier, why cant a truck of water or a bus? The excuses are so lame.
Glad that James Lee Witt, former kick ass FEMA director that Bush let go, was hired by Gov Blanco to coordinate there. Bet she's wishing she'd gone to the private consultant earlier.
Brown turns out basically to be a lawyer college buddy of Bush's campaign manager with little experience in disaster management. Hey who screened that application! (that's sarcasm)
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #24
bargalunan
Abecedarian

Why didn't Hollywood save New Orleans ?

I would give one Oscar to GW Bush for his performance in "The fourth day after Hurricane Katrina".

And another Oscar for his shirtsleeves...

I don't know what's this story : "Thomas Jefferson kissed Sally Hemings". Can you help me ?

New Orleans, army, racism and black people remind me of a riot several years ago in the 80's, in... ? Los Angeles ?
Our police minister (Sarkozy, can be GWB's best friend) has recently said he wanted to "use the Karcher" in the suburbs of Paris (against people !)
bargalunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #25
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargalunan
I don't know what's this story : "Thomas Jefferson kissed Sally Hemings". Can you help me ?
It is widely known that Thomas Jefferson had a sexual relationship with (and I'm pretty sure children by) one of his slaves, Sally Hemings.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #26
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar

Don't listed to Jesse Jackson and Keynes. There are white people that are starving and dying, and creoles starving and dying and hispanics and chinese and all kinds of other people dying too.

NEWS FLASH:::

IT'S NOT ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE!!

It's about poor, sick, old and stupid people.

Those come in all flavors.

Please, stop buying into the race issue. It's not there. It's more a class issue.

Earth to La La Land. Race and class are still inexticably meshed in today's United States. And just how many white and Chinese people did you see on the evening news awaiting rescue? Hello?

And you brought it up, not me, by the way. But since you mention it...
Old 09-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #27
marichiko

Oh, yeah, BTW, if its a class issue that makes it better? HUH? What, the poor deserve to die and the rich get to live?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 AM   #28
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

The Hurrican Machine: Black People Beware!!!!

TW said: "Show me where the president did one action to demonstrate he was not racist."

"Show me one action by George Jr during this New Orleans disaster that could demonstrate he was not a racist. It is a simple question of logic that requires a simple answer in logic."

TW, it sounds like you are saying W. has to prove he isn't a racist before he proves he is one. Maybe I am wrong here, but that is what I read. If that is what you are saying, show me one thing that says W. is a racist. And don't give me the typical "he hasn't done anything for black people, blah, blah, blah." I can show you Robert Bird (sp) is a racist. You have to prove you aren't something in order to not be accused of it from the start? Maybe I misunderstood your post. Maybe I'm off the lane here, but what you wrote sounded like that. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I still think the Bush Administration created a machine that can create and manipulate hurricanes and did so in New Orleans to specifically target the black community. That's racist, Man. Can you believe an administration would do that? It's horrible

Last edited by NICOTINEGUN; 09-05-2005 at 06:03 AM.
NICOTINEGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This is the tw take on it, then, and it's quite familiar because it's been the same refrain for years:

1. Bush had his magic make-everything-better wand, and callously refused to wave it because the people he'd wave it at were black.

2. To show otherwise, you have to prove a negative.

3. If you can't prove a negative, you are deficient in logic.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:13 AM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sean Penn is on CNN right now, he's down there working in N.O. Although he used most of his CNN airtime criticizing the feds
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote