FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 05-08-2003, 08:41 AM   #1
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Bullishly good time

From National Geographic Photo of the Day:
Quote:
"Soaring to safety, a white-clad razeteur dodges the horns of a charging bull—and thrills spectators at a bullfight in St.-Rémy-de-Provence. Unarmed except for a small rakelike tool, razeteurs win glory by hooking a rosette from the horns. These small, half-wild Provençal bulls, revered in the Camargue region, aren't hurt during the contest, but the men who 'fight' them pay dearly if they're slow to vault the bullring wall. 'The nearer the horns,' explains one fan, 'the higher the leap.'"

—From "Essence of Provence," September 1995, National Geographic magazine
I can't believe this guy is able to jump this high. Then again, I can't imagine being chased by a beast that's trying to gore me with sharp horns.

I wonder where this guy landed.

Click the photo for a larger version.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 AM   #2
ndetroit
Master Locutor

I like that this "bull fighting" seems fairly even on both sides....

IE: They don't spear the living hell out of the bull before it enters the area, bleeding literally to death, before a matador "bravely" conquers the bull by jabbing it repeatedly in the neck..

I like that this is more of a game, or a sport... and that the bulls are competing in top physical condition.

Gives you a fair chance to root for them.
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I believe he can jump that high. A couple years ago we had a bull that got worked up and took after me. I could have run a 6 second hundred yard dash, and I jumped onto a 5 foot fence, and he didn't even have horns. You think rollercoasters can give you an adrenaline rush......
Old 05-09-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe the bull gave him a goose.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:53 PM   #5
e unibus plurum
garbage in, refuse out

hmmmm... I'm wondering when France is going to host the summer Olympics?
Old 05-09-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
Leus
Abecedarian

I'm quite sure the guy got some help from the bull. Nobody can jump that high, period.
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

He had a running start at the fence, then used it to jump from. That plus the adrenaline will most definitely do it.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:13 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Looking at the position of his legs and torso, his trajectory would start at the bull rather than the fence. I could look it up since I have them back to 1948 but it's more fun to speculate.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-09-2003 at 04:15 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 04:49 PM   #9
tweek
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Trajectory?

How do you know what his trajectory is? It's a still picture... it look to me like he leapt up onto the fence with one foot and then pushed off that.
tweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:52 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

On a dead run jump up to put one foot on a chest high fence and push off to his own height?
1. He'd have to be one hell of an athlete(even with adrenaline)to make the first jump to the 5 footish top of the fence in an upright position.
2. With enough momentum to get to the fence top pushing off to his own height would take him much further to the right and his legs would not be in that position. Did you ever see a basketball player with his legs like that on the way up?
Old 05-11-2003, 02:22 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ah yes, I know that guy...he plays for the Memphis Grizzlies. He does this in his spare time, since the Grizzlies aren't doing shit.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #12
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
On a dead run jump up to put one foot on a chest high fence and push off to his own height?
1. He'd have to be one hell of an athlete(even with adrenaline)to make the first jump to the 5 footish top of the fence in an upright position.
2. With enough momentum to get to the fence top pushing off to his own height would take him much further to the right and his legs would not be in that position. Did you ever see a basketball player with his legs like that on the way up?
I'd guess he probably got some help from the bull. Mostly becuase of the way his legs are, it looks like he's running. But I do think you're underestimating what a person can do when being chased by animal with horns that's trying to gore you. I think that jumping that fence is possible, and if this is a bull fighter I'd be he's in very good shape. Doesn't mean he's a great athlete just scared shitless