The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-17-2002, 11:45 AM   #1
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Apple drops the price of iPod

... and they introduced one for the PC. Dham has mentioned how great these are before and I played with one at Fry's a while back. I found it hard to put down, and they only had it loaded up with 80's CockRock. The thing's supposed to be introduced in August, and the prices for the Apple versions will drop by 100$. Not bad, as long as they don't make you upgrade to 10.2. I guess I'll have to get FireWire, too.
See the <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/07/17/apple.ipod.reut/index.html">article</a> I read.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #2
dave

It obviously won't be as pleasureable an experience as using it with a Mac is, but...

BUY ONE NOW YOU CHEAP FUCKS!

I find the 10 gig to be perfectly acceptable (as I have ~2.2 gigs free space on it at this moment and it's <b>loaded</b> with good songs - some 1,700 of them).

I thought they were really neat until I got my first one. Then I realized that they were simply amazing. They truly are about the finest "gadget" you can buy these days. Even the 70 year old screening me at the airport was pretty impressed by it. Once you have it, you'll realize how awesome it is - and wonder how you ever got by without it.

I listen to mine every day. Jenni doesn't have as much listen-able time as I do, but she still uses hers (though we always use mine when we're in the car together, hehe). Trust me, if you listen to a lot of music, it's worth every penny you'll spend on it.

FireWire cards can be had for ~$30. So it's not <b>that</b> expensive.

If you don't have a lot of MP3s (I have ~30 gigs), the 5 gig will probably be plenty. I find the 10 gig very nice for the amount I have. 20 gigs is probably going overboard unless you have a LOT of MP3s and get really tired of only having 2,000 songs available for you to listen to at any given time.

Anyway, they really are great, and I can't say enough good things about them. You owe it to yourself to get one.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
That Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
I can't say enough good things about them.
You're kidding!!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:

BUY ONE NOW YOU CHEAP FUCKS!
"Don't be afraid. Join us! Steve needs the money..."

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #5
dave

Not at all. Apple's rolling in cash. Well, for the most part. But I hear a lot of people saying "man, they're so expensive"... eh not REALLY. And if you're seriously considering a high capacity MP3 player, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Don't worry about price - it will be worth it to you.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:21 AM   #6
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
And if you're seriously considering a high capacity MP3 player, you owe it to yourself to check it out.
Doesn't it use a hard drive for storage? Would I be able to take it jogging?
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 03:28 AM   #7
jaguar
whig

meza buying one v soon!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:49 AM   #8
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
Doesn't it use a hard drive for storage? Would I be able to take it jogging?
It does use a hard drive for storage. However, the hard drive is only in use about every 20 minutes or so, when the songs in RAM run out and it's got to load a few more (there's 32MB of RAM internal to the device that songs are loaded into for play). I personally think you'd be alright jogging with it, but you may want to google for "jogging ipod" or something and read other peoples' success with that.

FYI, my original iPod (which is now Jenni's) has been dropped twice. Once was on the plane back from California in April - my dad dropped it from about 3 feet onto the airplane floor. The other was in a store, when Jenni dropped it from about chest height onto a tiled floor in either Wal Mart or Target. It's worked fine after both spills, so I have to endorse it as "pretty solid".
Old 07-18-2002, 09:40 AM   #9
Tobiasly
hot

I didn't realize they had memory as well; that would make me a little more apt to consider it.. I currently use a CompactFlash-based model, which is nice because it, my camera, and my PocketPC all use the same cards, and you can get a 320MB card for about $100 if you look hard enough.

I will look into it a bit more though; it would be nice to never worry about transferring music to it.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:14 PM   #10
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Not at all. Apple's rolling in cash....And if you're seriously considering a high capacity MP3 player, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Don't worry about price - it will be worth it to you.
Actually, I'm seriously considering finding steady work before I have a toys budget. If Apple is rolling in cash they can send me one gratis. :-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 01:22 PM   #11
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Actually, I'm seriously considering finding steady work before I have a toys budget. If Apple is rolling in cash they can send me one gratis. :-)
It generally <b>is</b> wise to actually <b>have</b> money before spending it.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:53 AM   #12
That Guy

Wha...? Isn't that the American Dream®? "To be able to purchase any amount of goods and services quickly, cheaply, and without a glimmer of thought as to how you may afford it."
Ahhhh, Credit.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:00 PM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

Isn't $300-$400 a bit much to spend on an mp3 player? You can get mp3-cd players for only $100!
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 04:54 PM   #14
That Guy

But then you have to carry CD's. This cuts out the middleman, er middledisc. whatever. you know.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:19 PM   #15
dave

juju - that's what I thought. Until I played with an iPod.

I have a 10 gig now, and it has about 1700 songs on it with room for easily 200 more. We'll say the capacity is 1900 songs. Let's say there's 12 songs per CD, which is probably the average with the music I listen to.

That's about 158 CDs worth of music.

In my pocket.

Say you make your MP3 CDs from 80 minute CDs, or 700MB. I've now got 14 MP3 CDs worth of music in my pocket.

It also gets about 12 hours of play time on a full charge, which happens in about 3 hours. I plug it in when I get home at night (usually around midnight or so) and it's easily ready to go when I get up at 8. I don't need to spend on AA's or rechargeables.

Plus, it doubles as a FireWire disk. So there's always that.

If you had one, at the end of a month of ownership, you'd agree that it was far superior to an MP3 CD player.