The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 09-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah foot, a bit on the crusty yellow lymph side of things. Now I've become convinced that there's a blood clot lodged on the left (worse) side, since I have the impression that all the ones I've dislodged have come from the right. If I can just loosen it out of there... then I'd have even more disgusting things to describe to you all.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...and I keep vomiting all the blood I'm swallowing...
Well, at least you know you're not a vampire.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Time to FESS UP

my nose.

Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, that is. I've had the same surgery you had Clodfobble, and I'm dying to have it again. It is the *first thing* on my list to treat myself to once I have health insurance again.

In Jun 2009 I was at work and I had a headache that turned into a toothache that turned into an volcano of an abscessed tooth erupting fiery gushers of pain through my skull and jaw. This turned out to be an incorrect self diagnosis, so it should be read for illustrative purposes only. It turns out I had a seriously impacted (dunno if that's the right word) sinus on the left side, the solution for which was the rotorooter procedure you talked about.

I had an MRI done which revealed a sinus cavity completely full, and sealed, a deviated septum, and hypertrophied turbinates. The plan was to give me a general anesthetic, and through my nose clean out the plug and the sinus, and resection my turbinates (resection is surgery speak for cut away some of). As far as I know, this was done. The anesthesiologist had me count back from 100, 99, 98, 97, why am I in the recovery room and what have you done with my limbs?.

I got a ride home because I was in no pain, and similarly in no condition to drive, thanks to the miracle of modern pharmaceuticals. I had instructions about after care which I also disregarded probably for the same reason I couldn't drive. Anyhow. I too had the packing in my nose about halfway to the back of my skull, regular slow steady bleeding dripping, ugh. No vomiting though, thankfully. Your experience sounds truly horrible, so sorry. I eventually took the plugs out, too gross to describe accurately. I was very, very sore for days, though I took my medicine faithfully.

One of the aftercare steps I read about but didn't follow to my detriment was the nasal lavage using a bottle like this: NeilMed Sinus Rinse. I like the squeeze bottle style as opposed to the gravity feed style. I didn't use it regularly like I should have. This, I believe, was a big mistake. Clodfobble, if you have a device like this (and your after care instructions say so!) please don't neglect this part. I do it much more frequently now, and I love it.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Clodfobble

I've been using it, I think maybe even too much? Everything is very wet in there, I can't get anything to drain. It's like there are giant sponges inside my face, and every time I irrigate I just swell them up further. It has occurred to me that maybe there is, in fact, extra packing in there, lost track of during one of the three procedures. I'm also running a slight temperature at this point, though I am taking my antibiotics faithfully. Long story short, I want to die, basically.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Sounds totally awful Clod. I hope you feel much better soon. xx
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Sinus surgery is the worst ... sorry this is so awful for you, Clod. Hope things improve dramatically in the next few hours ...
Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Sorry Clod! Feel better and make sure they get all the packing out if you suspect there's some in there! You don't want that low temperature turning into a serious infection in your head from forgotten packing goo
Old 09-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #23
Clodfobble

Yeah, there's already a followup appointment on the schedule for Thursday, so presumably anything they might have left in there will be found then. Dinner did cause some very slight movement of stuff down and out, so I might--MIGHT--be willing to live until tomorrow and see how things pan out. In another week I'll probably be just like BigV and everyone else who told me this was the greatest thing they'd ever done. I hope I hope I hope...
Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #24
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If you don't think you can wait until Thursday, I've got a Wet/Dry Shop-Vac raring to go.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #25
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Oh Clod, that sounds very sucky. If you do get the blood out the eyes things, you will be the coolest kid on the block - very True Blood!!

Fingers crossed you will be in your happy place tomorrow!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Call the doctor. I'm worried about the "face swelling up more" thing.

and the fever.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
Clodfobble

It's okay Bri, there was some more drainage during the night, and the fever is gone this morning. Now mostly I'm just exhausted. We are speculating that this is where I was supposed to be on day one, had I had the normal one operation instead of three back-to-back. If that's the case, I should expect another 2-3 days like today, and then steady improvement from there.

You know, just in time for Friday, and another weekend with my stepkids.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Your finger is so not sorry about your nose.

What do you do when your nose goes on strike?

Picket!

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week. Try the nose goblins; they're salty and have a slight metallic taste
Old 09-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Sorry you are going through all this Clod! I definitely hope you see the improvement you want!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oooow, damn. Wish I was closer, I couldn't make it better but could make you not care.