The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #76
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
UT is right in that some politics give the same satisfaction as religion. The switchover is made easier when a religious leader introduces the political leader, even with a qualifier. Trump being an obvious jerk makes it easier by setting a low bar.
What make that easiest? Who are always most easily indoctrinated by concepts that contradict their original religion. Adults who are still children. Adults who make decisions from their feelings. Adults to do not learn facts BEFORE making a decision.

"I am a conservative" or "I am a liberal" or "I am an evangelical". Therefore I know what is right. Classic examples of adults who only make decisions from what they feel only using their reptilian brain - just like a child. Adults who do not even know they are not thinking logically.

Trump should be the classic example of evil - to an evangelical. But evangelicals are some of the easiest sheep to brainwash. A high percentage of adults who do not know how to think like an adult. Who know only because they feel.

Same applies to far right and far left extremists - whose beliefs are based in the same emotions that inspire evangelicals. All classic examples of adults who are still children.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #77
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Promising two alternate realities, one heaven the other hell, based on whom you worship

True believers hanging on long speeches from on high explaining what they should think

Supporters spreading the good word and writing checks for the collection plate
I'll grant you it's a new religion, but not the new religion. having a consumer price index tells you who the real god is in this country. Shopping will always be the official religion of the USA, with mindless media consumption coming in second. As long as people can shop and watch shit on TV we will never have a revolution in this country. Ever.

Politics is dependent on media, at best it's a cult or a religious splinter group.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:07 AM   #78
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The good folks in Rhode Island, having been driven out of Europe by religious persecution, demanded and got added to the Constitution by way of the bill of rights, a written guaranty there would be no state religion. It didn't help because individual states made their own rules/laws. In some states you couldn't hold public office or government employment unless you were a specified religion. It wasn't even by custom, a wink and a nod, it was actually written into state laws.